Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#194073 - 01/21/10 01:14 PM Re: 'Significant' quake in CA may be a foreshock [Re: Art_in_FL]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
. . .stay frosty and to avoid feeding panic and or passing rumors.
That last bit deserved repeating. Sometimes I find myself getting caught up in the stuff (being polite here) that passes for information on the web. It's always good to step back and ask whether the info makes sense and to consider the time frames the earth works with. Anyone can make a prediction that sometime in the next millennium there might be a major volcanic eruption that could end all life on Earth -- anything is possible. But what does that mean to us as we prepare? Not much.

Make preparations for likely events: hurricanes on the Gulf Coast, tornadoes in the mid-west, earthquakes along the major faults, rain in California. . . shocked None of these are end of time scenarios, they're real events that anyone can justify making necessary preparations.

#194075 - 01/21/10 01:32 PM Re: 'Significant' quake in CA may be a foreshock [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Russ

Make preparations for likely events: hurricanes on the Gulf Coast, tornadoes in the mid-west, earthquakes along the major faults, rain in California. . .:o None of these are end of time scenarios, they're real events that anyone can justify making necessary preparations.

The rain here in California has washed out a construction project in our neighborhood, creating a sinkhole at a nearby intersection, and interrupting our water supply. This makes for a nice training exercise. I am collecting gutter runoff for gray water applications and digging out our stash of bottled water. Utility workers have hooked us up temporarily, but I have found that we have water pressure in sink faucets, but not from the showerheads... When the DW and DD arise, they will have their choice of a Sunshower or a waterless shower/hair wash kit I purchased from Brigade Quartermaster a few years ago. It will make for some interesting experiments and learning experiences.

All of this should help us cope when we have a real emergency, like a significant earthquake.

#194100 - 01/21/10 07:50 PM Re: 'Significant' quake in CA may be a foreshock [Re: hikermor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"When the DW and DD arise, they will have their choice of a Sunshower or a waterless shower/hair wash kit ..."

Don't forget the simple little bird-bath: a coffee-spoon of baking soda in a half-gallon of warm water. It cleans very well (esp body oil and odor), is neutral and easy on the skin, needs no rinsing (unless you've added too much soda), and can be applied with a washcloth or sponge.

Sue

#194102 - 01/21/10 08:10 PM Re: 'Significant' quake in CA may be a foreshock [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Another reason to keep baking soda in stock.

#194105 - 01/21/10 10:03 PM Re: 'Significant' quake in CA may be a foreshock [Re: Art_in_FL]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
And then there is the big daddy of them all, Yellowstone and the recent earthquake swarm. Not a prediction but a good read and a discussion of an issue to keep an eye on.

I don't really keep an eye on the Yellowstone Caldera simply because if the cork pops it really is just simply the end of the world (this would be a TEOTWAWKI in which no level of preparedness would be useful), although this link is a little disconcerting.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

The depths Earthquakes of 8.9 Km is just where the magma bubble depth boundary is located.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wrhcvA0n3A

'Old Faithful' could well be where the cork pops.

#194124 - 01/22/10 03:55 AM Re: 'Significant' quake in CA may be a foreshock [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
"When the DW and DD arise, they will have their choice of a Sunshower or a waterless shower/hair wash kit ..."
Don't forget the simple little bird-bath: a coffee-spoon of baking soda in a half-gallon of warm water. It cleans very well (esp body oil and odor), is neutral and easy on the skin, needs no rinsing (unless you've added too much soda), and can be applied with a washcloth or sponge. Sue

Interesting. I don't recall ever having hear that formula before. I've been around a few years and I'm still picking up handy tips. Thanks.

#194127 - 01/22/10 04:12 AM Re: 'Significant' quake in CA may be a foreshock [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

I don't really keep an eye on the Yellowstone Caldera simply because if the cork pops it really is just simply the end of the world (this would be a TEOTWAWKI in which no level of preparedness would be useful), although this link is a little disconcerting.

I guess it all depends on how close you are. And which way the wind is blowing. One wag suggested that people close to Yellowstone might surf the pyroplastic flow, all the way to the gulf of Mexico. Up side is that if you make it you have one hell of a story to tell the grand kids. There I was ...

#194204 - 01/23/10 06:59 PM Re: 'Significant' quake in CA may be a foreshock [Re: Susan]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I am begining to believe that everything East of the San Andreas will plunge into the Atlantic.....lol.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.