clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Thanks Jeff. Words to live by.

#194976 - 02/02/10 04:10 PM Re: Hi, from Haiti [Re: Blast]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I heard there were about 50,000 US citizens in Haiti, mostly of Haitian origin, plus dependents, relatives, resident aliens and untold others seeking a visa or other assistance. The crowd was huge and the wait was sometimes several days. When we arrived we found many crowded into waiting rooms, with feces and vomit on the floor, many more crowded into outdoor courtyards within the embassy, and lines outside stretching into the distance. There were injured people, elderly people, pregnant women, and very many children and infants. Some had not eaten in days, many were ill, and all were dehydrated. It was a humanitarian and public health crisis in the making, but we were able to get things sorted out and radically improve conditions there.

Edited by Jeff_M (02/02/10 04:15 PM)

#194977 - 02/02/10 04:24 PM Re: Hi, from Haiti [Re: Susan]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Susan
I was recently talking to one of my crew passengers and he said he spent a year in Haiti with the military. He said he's never seen so many people so poor, so desperate, or with such big smiles.

The Haitians I met were unfailingly polite, friendly, patient, kind and extremely appreciative of anything we did. The foreign nationals involved in the rescue effort were a little less so. One graffiti: "We trust USA, not France." They had little good to say about the UN, either, who had a large footprint there, but seemed to be doing little or nothing to help.

#194978 - 02/02/10 04:30 PM Re: Hi, from Haiti [Re: Art_in_FL]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
The major short term risks are exhaustion, psychological trauma, back strain, temporary digestive issues. Depression, nervousness, PTSD, and long term-respiratory issues associated with concrete dust and undifferentiated contaminates are common long term issues.

I wish him well but my advice would be to make sure you sleep any time you get half a chance, eat and drink regularly. Even if you don't feel like it. Haiti is tropical so wear a long-sleeve shirt, hat and lay on the sunscreen heavily. Stay hydrated. Pace yourself. Rest any chance you get.

Disease was also a major issue, especially Malaria and Dengue Fever. But your advice is sound. Thanks. As for physical security, that was well covered at a nearly paranoid level for us. Shooters often outnumbered rescuers.

#194985 - 02/02/10 06:55 PM Re: Hi, from Haiti [Re: Jeff_M]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeff_M
Your travel FAK needs to include antibiotics and a backup supply of any meds you depend on.

Welcome back! Lots of good info.

With regard to antibiotics, I'm not a medical professional. Where do you get them? And how do you know which ones to take?

#194990 - 02/02/10 07:53 PM Re: Hi, from Haiti [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
With regard to antibiotics, I'm not a medical professional. Where do you get them? And how do you know which ones to take?

Ask your doctor for a prescription, explain it is for wilderness/foreign travel/emergency use only when there is no access to medical care, and not for routine "emergencies" at home.

Cipro may be an appropriate choice for your physician to prescribe. It has broad coverage over wounds, lower respiratory and urinary tract infections, infectious diarrhea, typhoid, etc.

Please get proper and thorough medical instruction on this, to make sure you know exactly when (and when not) and how to use whatever medicine is prescribed.

(Since I'm a paramedic, I tend to get some trust and leeway with this sort of thing. YMMV.)

Edited by Jeff_M (02/02/10 10:37 PM)

#194991 - 02/02/10 08:07 PM Re: Hi, from Haiti [Re: Jeff_M]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

I was asked privately what group I went to Haiti with. I thought it might be of more general interest:

Federal Dep't of Health and Human Services, National Disaster Medical System, Disaster Medical Assistance Team Florida 1.

http://www.hhs.gov/aspr/opeo/ndms/index.html

http://www.floridaonedmat.com/

Basically, a system of disaster medical teams throughout the US, capable of rapid deployment and equipped to set up and operate austere field hospitals, perform casualty collection and evacuation, and augment damaged or overwhelmed local medical infrastructure.

We are classified as a unformed, non-military service, and have the same legal job status as guardsmen and reservists when deployed.

#194999 - 02/02/10 10:01 PM Re: Hi, from Haiti [Re: Jeff_M]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
THANKS for your service Jeff and the reports on the Forum, we all learned from your experience.

Mike

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 401 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.