The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#193634 - 01/15/10 06:26 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Lono]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Late to the rodeo again. Is your nephew having any input to the foodstuffs your putting in? Most eight-year-olds (mine included) don't have a taste for instant grits. If he does then that's ok too. Point is let him have some input there. As we say, it's hard enough to survive, it's even harder when you have to eat something you are not used to or don't like. Of course you can also steer him towards certain foods or food types. Good luck and hopefully you will post some pics from the campout. laugh

#193649 - 01/15/10 11:05 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Mark_F]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Yes, he likes Grits, as most "Southerners" do.

No, I'm not giving him inpout because this will be a birthday present for him.

His Dad and Step-Mother are getting asked for input. Who knows him better??

#193657 - 01/16/10 04:55 AM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: wildman800]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I would add sunblock and bug spray, it is Louisiana after all. I too would lose the messkit and just go with a metal cup. Water purification tablets or a filter would have to be the way to go without fire to boil water....
Maybe a brimmed hat with a mosquito net? Like I said, it is Louisiana, right?

#193682 - 01/16/10 06:48 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Tarzan]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

He would be with adults if he had to bug out.

This is also camping gear to allow his Dad and I to take him camping and start his woodsmanship education, as well.

I have seen many places where food was available but no plates, cups, or cutlery. It doesn't happen often but when "Mobile Canteen" finds there is a bigger crowd awaiting their efforts than what they had planned for, then eating equipment usually comes up short.

#193915 - 01/19/10 06:00 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: wildman800]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Nice list so far. Hope you don't mind if I "borrow" a few of your ideas to update DS's gear. DS is eight also so I am seeing many similarities but also some stuff I hadn't thought of. DS may have a few things that are missing from your list as well. Will get back to you on that. Thanks a bunch.

#193930 - 01/19/10 09:18 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Mark_F]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Please give me any suggestions that you consider worthy for your area of operations.

#194166 - 01/22/10 08:22 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: wildman800]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Comparing my eight-year-old son’s goody bag to the one you are making for your nephew. Mostly similar with just a few exceptions. Some items you already mentioned you wouldn't include like the fire building items. I can understand that and realize I have a slight advantage being a parent rather than uncle. Anyway, FWIW, here's my son's list (SO FAR).

MEDICAL/FAK: Nothing fancy here, just a basic small pocket size kit from wally world. There is also a small bottle of hand sanitizer, a tube of lotion and assorted chapsticks.

SHELTER: Assorted space blankets; heatsheets blanket and bivvy (the basic one, not the 2.0); bright orange nylon poncho.

WARMTH/FIRE/HEAT: Assorted fire making items including strike anywhere matches in a waterproof case, red bic lighter, magnesium and flint bar, spark lite, tinder quik, cotton balls, small thin cardboard, fire starter material and a candle. Also included some hand warmers.

WATER: 1 Qt Canteen with metal cup, coffee filters, purification tablets, and recently added an oven bag.

SIGNALING/COMMUNICATIONS: Whistle and 2" x 3" Signal Mirror (both from PSP as is the spark lite and tinder quik above), plain red bandana.

FOOD: Assorted candy and cereal bars; packets of instant soup; stainless steel mess kit; lexan fork, spoon and knife; fishing kit (includes kit from PSP and additional kit from home supplies with a bobbin of 30 lb test spiderwire); assorted wire (the one from the PSP plus some craft wire and a spool of surplus trip wire).

TOOLS: Swiss army knife; CRKT M16-01Z (a small folding linerlock design) with auto LAWKS mechanism; Cold Steel SRK; Sharpener; Folding saw; wire saw; 2-AA cell LED mag-lite, Doug Ritter version of eQ headlamp.

MULTI-PURPOSE AND REPAIR: 100 ft Paracord; memo pad and pencil; duct tape (from PSP plus a roll of orange tape); aluminum foil (also from PSP); sewing kit; assorted magnifying lenses; safety pins; rubber bands

PERSONAL PROTECTION AND COMFORT: sunglasses; sunscreen in FAK; wet ones; boonie hat.

NAVIGATION: Button compass from PSP, clear base map compass, local area maps added as needed (I really struggle with including navigation items as I really just want DS to STAY PUT but adding these items implies it is ok for him to try self-rescue – better to have them than not is my only reason right now for including them).

MISCELLANEOUS: Back pack; his favorite small toy; family photo; binoculars; knot guide; kids survival primer (stay put, hug a tree, etc); any other items from the PSP I forgot to mention.

I have stuff missing I know, like extra batteries and large Ziplocs to store the stuff in. It’s a work in progress. I need to add the items you have that I/DS am/are missing (like Ziploc bags, field guides, towel, washrag, and so on)

#194195 - 01/23/10 03:16 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Mark_F]
porkchop Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florence SC
I'm not sure if anyone included a watch cap on their list but it is a great item year round.

I understand that LA isn't exactly the coldest state in the union, but if you are cold and possibly wet a nice, warm wool or fleece watch cap can make a world of difference.

They are usually cheap, not too expensive, and very compact.
I would stay away from the acrylic ones they don't have very good heat retention when wet.

#194231 - 01/24/10 07:46 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: porkchop]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We both have watch caps (touque) on each of our lists.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.