Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#194 - 02/19/01 12:40 AM Leatherman Ripped Off
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

A warning to those who carry a multi-purpose tool on your belt. I just returned from Miami (Miami Beach) and while there my Leatherman Wave disappeared while out to dinner one night. Was on my belt when I left the hotel, wasn't there when I got undressed to go to bed. Speaking to a cop at the boat show I learned that this is becoming relatively common. Thieves literally cut the nylon sheaths off the belt, like they have doing for years with purses and such. Short distraction while you're walking down the street in the crowd and it's gone. Until they start putting wire cable in the belt loops, guess I'll convert to a leather sheath for suspect areas of travel (apparently more difficult to cut, so not a target), or stick it in my front pocket with my wallet and knife. :-((((((<br><br>Forewarned is forearmed.<br><br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#195 - 02/19/01 06:16 PM Re: Leatherman Ripped Off
Anonymous
Unregistered

I usually wear a custom leather belt for my Wave, bought<br>from http://www.leatherwork.com , not the original leather<br>sheath I got with my tool. I asked Richard Dix for a custom<br>model, with a flap to cover the Wave. It is virtually<br>impossible for a thief either to cut the leather or to pull<br>the tool out after opening the flap without me noticing<br>that, since the sheath is pretty tight.<br><br>

#196 - 02/20/01 07:30 PM Re: Leatherman Ripped Off
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
If you were to drop a note to Leatherman as to sewing in hidden cables on their nylon and leather sheaths, and why they should do it, I bet they would. I recently bought security wallets for a trip and they all have steel cables sewn right into them. Even the less expensive ones now include cables. Another sad reality.<br><br>

#197 - 02/21/01 02:05 PM Re: Leatherman Ripped Off
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
But if one is wearing pants other than jeans, with a lighter weave, the weight of a Leatherman Wave would be uncomfortable anywhere but on one's belt, wouldn't it? I just can't see shoving my Wave into my front pocket, nor can I see it dangling on from neck cord under my shirt.<br><br>The only alternative that springs to mind is a horizontally mounted sheath that would be worn more toward the front portion, rather than the rear, of one's belt.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.