Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#194201 - 01/23/10 05:37 PM Re: Question for the mods [Re: Lono]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
If you have a local CERT (Community Emergency Response Teams) organization, this is exactly the sort of scenario that they're training for - neighbors rescuing neighbors. If you don't have one nearby, groups like neighborhood watch, churches, and ham radio clubs can help start the ball rolling. http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/

#194202 - 01/23/10 05:43 PM Re: Lessons from Haiti [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Landing priorities are set by the Haitians, the UN, and the US, in that order. If someone convinces the Haitains or UN to approve a landing, they land. Otherwise the US turns away flights who haven't arranged ahead of time. This is what apparently what got the French medical flight in trouble - they didn't give notice ahead of time that they were coming (they probably didn't know who to call and took off anyway).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjpq3UAIPlA

#194203 - 01/23/10 06:55 PM Re: Question for the mods [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Thanks to the folks here who suggested that I buy a good, solid pry bar from Ace Hardware. I'm going to go and pick one up from Ace Hardware this weekend.

-----------------------
Here is something to think about ... suppose you had to treat 350 patients in a medical clinic in a slum in Africa. This is a one-day medical clinic, where people are diagnosed and provided with whatever medicines they need. How much do you think that would cost???

Answer: $450.

That's all. That was how exactly much it cost for my relief team to treat 350 patients in an African slum in the middle of 2009 - working in a fairly difficult third world environment. How was this done? By being very resourceful, and utilizing local people/equipment as much as possible. For example, I recruited a group of local African med students to provide some of the doctor/nurse services for free. I also found outlets in the host country where I could buy good-quality pharmaceutical drugs at a fraction of the cost from western countries. All this took a lot of work - but it paid off. Great savings in both $$ and effort are possible if things are planned in a resourceful way.

I'm not saying that the same methods would automatically apply to Haiti. Very likely they would not - especially given the scale of the disaster that has unfolded there. But it is true that vast inefficiencies occur when the relief response becomes uncoordinated. That's why donors wind up paying 89 cents for a can of food, and then people tell you it costs $80 to transport it to Haiti. That kind of statement tells you that people and organizations are not working together effectively.

However ... as Sheriff Blast points out - there's no point being an armchair advisor. In spite of the huge difficulties involved in the Haiti relief effort - a lot of good work will be done. That's what counts!

other Pete

Edited by Pete (01/23/10 09:44 PM)

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.