Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#194155 - 01/22/10 06:37 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Have you also considered the tri-fuel kit for the Honda EU2000i. You could go for about 10 days when connected to an industrial 47kg Propane bottle.

http://www.generatorsales.com/honda-generators.asp

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Honda-EU2000i-Tri-Fuel-Kit.asp?page=Honda_EU2000i_Tri_Fuel_Kit

Storing propane is on site would also probably be safer, more convenient and won't degrade (i.e. you wouldn't have rotate the fuel) unlike the quantities of petrol required for the same power duration. Plus it would also reduce the constant trips to the generator to refuel the tank.

I'd love to but it voids the warranty of the engine frown Which is BS.

I'm ready with propane, that's for sure! We have a 250g tank with a drop right where I plan to make my gen house (for bigger gen in future). Not to mention, I have multiple 100lb, and smaller tanks too. frown They are all backups for the house or for the shop heating.

#194160 - 01/22/10 07:11 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Todd W]
Pete Offline
Veteran

There is stil a lot of rain coming down in LA. Not continuously - but in very heavy showers. The ground is saturated with water now.

Some residents in zones with high risk of mudslides have (predictably) refused to leave their homes ... preferring to take the chance that the nearby cliffs will remain stable. In response, local law enforcement has tied pink ribbons on to the front mailboxes of the homeowners that decided to stay. The idea is that if the house collapses in a mudslide, rescuers will know if it was occupied or not - and hence whether to try to dig out any survivors.

other Pete

Edited by Pete (01/22/10 07:13 PM)

#194177 - 01/22/10 11:04 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Pete]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Pete

Some residents in zones with high risk of mudslides have (predictably) refused to leave their homes ... preferring to take the chance that the nearby cliffs will remain stable. In response, local law enforcement has tied pink ribbons on to the front mailboxes of the homeowners that decided to stay. The idea is that if the house collapses in a mudslide, rescuers will know if it was occupied or not - and hence whether to try to dig out any survivors.
other Pete

That might be legitimate but if kind of sounds like an old police trick. If the people didn't want to evacuate they wold tell you to fill out a form detailing who was at the address, their next of kin, any identifying marks, and to sign the part that says they were warned so they can't sue the local authorities. The idea was to get people thinking about leaving. The forms were not official and had no legal force.

Then again that is the sort of information that local authorities might want so even if it didn't scare people into fleeing it might have some use.

#194181 - 01/22/10 11:34 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Art_in_FL]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
If the people didn't want to evacuate they wold tell you to fill out a form...

Actually, the authorities have been making residents who refuse to evacuate their homes sign a form, acknowledging that they have been warned of the danger, etc., as they go door-to-door to notify them of the evacuation order.

Fortunately, the end of this unusual train of storms is in sight. At least for a bit. Hopefully I can finally get this roof leak repaired during this lull before the next storm hits, maybe Tuesday-ish.

The ground is REALLY saturated now. I'm surprised that we didn't have any really big mudslides in the burn areas (or any of the hilly areas, actually) so far. Keeping my fingers crossed!

#194216 - 01/23/10 11:42 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Arney]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The radio said that the rain has moved on to Las Vegas, which has received more rain this week than the place did all of last year.

Sue

#194218 - 01/24/10 12:27 AM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Susan]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Oddly the forecast shows rain starting again Sun->Tue ???

frown

#194228 - 01/24/10 06:50 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Arney]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
So if you filled out a form saying you refused to be evacuated or refused to evacuate - and something happens and your house is destroyed and you with it, does this mean that your estate can't sue the state?

Not that I feel it is right to be able to sue because you are dumb as a box of hair and refuse to admit to yourself that conditions are beyond your control and it's time to beat feet, but I do find it funny that the People's Republic of Cali makes you sign a waiver so the state is protected in case you bite the big one.

#194229 - 01/24/10 07:24 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: JBMat]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A. A waiver like that is worth almost as much as the paper it's signed on. Any halfway decent attorney could dance around that.

B. There's no point in suing the State of California because they haven't got any money. And even if they won, CA would just give them an IOU. And their attorney would want to be paid in legal tender NOW.

C. If you're killed in the disaster, YOU aren't going to collect much. If you want to kill yourself so your family can collect, make a plan and make it look accidental so the insurance company won't fuss. If you're just stupid, you end up on the Darwin Award site as an example of poor breeding.

Sue

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.