Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#194074 - 01/21/10 01:18 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Todd W]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
We had hail briefly from a passing thunderstorm this morning. First and only time I have seen frozen precipitation in twenty years living at sea level in Lala land.....

#194092 - 01/21/10 06:21 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: hikermor]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
It's overcast up here in the mountains and warmed to 39.

No snow over night, still an inch or so on the ground.

#194096 - 01/21/10 07:10 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Todd W]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
According to the Acuweather radar SD is under a heavy (color code orange) weather cell. Judging by the level of water in the back yard and inability of the drains to keep up with the downpour, I'd say teh radar map is pretty accurate. Glad I'm not out on I-5 or I-15 -- ugly.

Hope the Sierra's are getting inundated with snow. Not for you Todd, for those farmers in the valley who can maybe start to plant crops again -- not now, but maybe next week.

#194106 - 01/21/10 10:26 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Todd W]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Todd W
Well we are already out of power.
Constant hard rain + 30mph+ gusts = no power.
Sure wish I had the 2000 Honda EU!

So are your computer and router and modem, like, uhm, "Using The Force" to communicate with these forums? confused smile laugh

#194107 - 01/21/10 10:52 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: haertig]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: haertig
Well we are already out of power.
Constant hard rain + 30mph+ gusts = no power.
Sure wish I had the 2000 Honda EU!

So are your computer and router and modem, like, uhm, "Using The Force" to communicate with these forums? confused smile laugh

I have 3 APC units alive and working, a 4th I need to order a new battery for, and also a car jump start that has a 600w inverter.

So, I was on batteries when I made that post. Laptop, and router

We got power back around midnight. (Forget if I posted that.)

I ordered my Honda EU2000i today to power the office and fridge in future power failures safely.

Next winter I hope to have been able to afford the Honda EU6500i to power my entire house and well.

Considering my office uses 350 watts, that is about 12 hours of running on the 2000's 1g of fuel. I can't beat that.

For the cost of the 2000, and the tiny fuel it requires I can't NOT AFFORD to have it. I run my own biz from here, not being online/working loses me money, and potentially clients.

#194108 - 01/21/10 10:53 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Russ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
According to the Acuweather radar SD is under a heavy (color code orange) weather cell. Judging by the level of water in the back yard and inability of the drains to keep up with the downpour, I'd say teh radar map is pretty accurate. Glad I'm not out on I-5 or I-15 -- ugly.

Hope the Sierra's are getting inundated with snow. Not for you Todd, for those farmers in the valley who can maybe start to plant crops again -- not now, but maybe next week.

It's been snowing here for an hour or so.. VERY WET, 35* still but sticking.

#194128 - 01/22/10 04:27 AM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Todd W]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have 3 APC units alive and working, a 4th I need to order a new battery for, and also a car jump start that has a 600w inverter.

Wow, you're set up nice. Last time we had a power failure here, just for grins, I tried to get on the internet with all my equipment plugged in to a UPS. Computer, router, and cable modem. No dice. I assumed my ISP was down as well because of the outage.

UPS's are great. Like you, I have four of them (even including the dead one with a defunct battery!) During outages my SOP is to use the UPS's to shut down all my computers gracefully, then move one over to my digital piano. I found that a single 550VA UPS will power the piano for four hours (using headphones, not the built-in amp and speakers). Not bad. There's something fun about playing piano in the dark by candlelight. I've since bought an acoustic piano too, so I don't depend on the UPS's so much for piano playing anymore. And luckily power failures are usually short-lived and fairly rare around here.

#194129 - 01/22/10 04:59 AM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: haertig]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Thanks!

I do the same too. I shut down the systems, and then when I need to I use the laptop + the 600w inverter/battery in the car jump start to power my router. After the laptop dies which is about an hour or 2 maybe of full use I recharge no a UPS.

Now, with the Honda EU2000 I`ll be able to go for days.

Very excited about that.

#194132 - 01/22/10 11:08 AM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Todd W]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Done the same myself. Ran from battery and signed in to the power companies web site to report my power being out. My internet has had better up time than both my power and land line phone. Last year I added the phone to the internet cable so it can be reliable too.

#194147 - 01/22/10 04:09 PM Re: California People - Get prepared NOW! [Re: Todd W]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Have you also considered the tri-fuel kit for the Honda EU2000i. You could go for about 10 days when connected to an industrial 47kg Propane bottle.

http://www.generatorsales.com/honda-generators.asp

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Honda-EU2000i-Tri-Fuel-Kit.asp?page=Honda_EU2000i_Tri_Fuel_Kit

Storing propane is on site would also probably be safer, more convenient and won't degrade (i.e. you wouldn't have rotate the fuel) unlike the quantities of petrol required for the same power duration. Plus it would also reduce the constant trips to the generator to refuel the tank.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/22/10 04:09 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.