Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 15 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 14 15 >
Topic Options
#193824 - 01/18/10 06:55 PM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: Arney]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Arney - that sounds like a better strategy. If the helo's could pick a relatively empty landing area - then land quickly and unload the supplies before the helicopter gets mobbed.

It would still be nice of some crew member from the helo's would post some actual pix from Haiti. If anyone sees these photo's on the Internet ... please post alink here.

other Pete

#193826 - 01/18/10 07:07 PM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: Pete]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal

It's a shame that all the self proclaimed experts aren't in Haiti right now, from the General (Ret) who sits, well fed, hydrated and comfortable in an air-conditioned television studio telling doctors on the scene to "man up" to those who pontificate on web forums.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#193828 - 01/18/10 07:12 PM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: JohnE]
Pete Offline
Veteran

JohnE

We should probably all be down there - all of us on this fourm.
-------------------------------------

Here's another report from Reuters about the looting in Haiti. This problem may settle down a bit, once 2200 US Marines are deployed into the country ...
------

"PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) – U.S. troops protected aid handouts and the United Nations sought extra peacekeepers to bolster security in earthquake-shattered Haiti on Monday as marauding looters emptied wrecked shops and tens of thousands of survivors waited desperately for food and medical care.

Hundreds of scavengers and looters swarmed over wrecked stores in downtown Port-au-Prince, seizing goods and fighting among themselves, but some signs of normality returned as street vendors emerged with fruit and vegetables for sale.

"We do not have the capacity to fix this situation. Haiti needs help ... the Americans are welcome here. But where are they? We need them here on the street with us," said policeman Dorsainvil Robenson, deployed to chase looters in the capital."

other Pete

Edited by Pete (01/18/10 07:14 PM)

#193833 - 01/18/10 07:24 PM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: Pete]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Regarding the article, this is one instance I really wish I hadn't been right. Human nature is just too predictable. And wasn't it Sue that stated early on that in this instance what we see as looting the victims are seeing as survival. If DW and DS are dieing of thirst and/or starving you'd better believe I would do the same.

#193840 - 01/18/10 08:01 PM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: JohnE]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: JohnE

It's a shame that all the self proclaimed experts aren't in Haiti right now, from the General (Ret) who sits, well fed, hydrated and comfortable in an air-conditioned television studio telling doctors on the scene to "man up" to those who pontificate on web forums.

General Honore walked the walk during Katrina, which gives him room to talk the talk now.

Based on his actions then, I have no doubt that he would not have permitted leaving patients unattended without an actual threat to go without reprimand. And I would _not_ want to be the security squad chief who decided to withdraw for the night rather than stay at the site and support the medical personnel.

#193847 - 01/18/10 08:21 PM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: LED]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: LED
Not to mention Sanjay probably has the best health and life insurance money can buy. Easy to take risks when you're a celebrity working for a television network with unlimited resources to take care of you. Sounds more like he put his crew in danger with his showboating than a selfless act of generosity. Production assistants don't make squat compared to talent. But who knows.

The bottom line is that Sanjay Gupta stayed and the patients lived. The Belgian doctors ran and abandoned their patients, not in response to an actual threat.

Had the Belgians had even false reports of a mob or other threat that mitigate their behavior, but apparently that's not the case.

"Do Not Abandon A Patient In Distress" is right up there with The 10 Commandments for most doctors I've known. Sanjay Gupta did not, whatever his motives, and the Belgians did, apparently before having reason to do so. The Belgians are more likely to have to explain themselves back home than Sanjay Gupta.

#193854 - 01/18/10 09:10 PM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
He, the general, is not there, he doesn't know the facts behind anyone's decision to do anything in Haiti. He came late to the party after Katrina, he attempted to enforce martial law there when it hadn't been declared. He now makes a living second guessing what others do, he'd fit right in around here. He had no authority to do some of the things he tried to do in New Orleans, he has no authority, moral or otherwise to make unfounded comments on volunteers who are actually on the ground in Haiti, not sitting comfortably in a television studio. If he feels that others need to "man up" why isn't he doing the same?

Nobody on this forum knows any of the details behind Dr. Gupta's actions or the actions of any other medical personnel in Haiti other than what's being reported. Like so many other times of disaster, both personal and large, everyone is jumping to conclusions based on what they've heard and seen on television. I'll wait and see what the real facts before jumping to any conclusions about the courage of Dr. Gupta or the lack of it by the doctors from Belgium. Obviously everyone else can do as they please.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#193855 - 01/18/10 09:12 PM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
Had the Belgians had even false reports of a mob or other threat that mitigate their behavior, but apparently that's not the case.

This is what Sanjay was reporting as the Belgians were preparing to pull out for the night:

Quote:
"There is concern about riots not far from here -- and this is part of the problem," CNN's Chief Medical Correspondent Sanjay Gupta said. "They (doctors) want to take care of lots of patients that are actually in the tents and many more that are actually outside, but they are simply being told at this point to stop and try to get to some sort of secure location."

Sanjay and this field hospital were in a particularly impoverished part of the city (I forget the name of the place) so I'm not surprised that there was already some trouble in that area.

I was even reading on an Israeli news site that the Israelis also suspended operations at night early on (it's not clear if the article was talking about the field hospital or their SAR teams but I thought it was referring to their medical operations) so the Belgians are not the only ones being cautious.

#193861 - 01/19/10 12:33 AM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: JohnE]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"He, the general came late to the party after Katrina, he attempted to enforce martial law there when it hadn't been declared."

I'm wondering where you got your information. I understood that he and his guys were standing by, waiting for Katrina to make up her mind which way she was turning. And he isn't allowed to move until the military was invited by the governor of the state involved.

As to martial law, he said he didn't see anything that required martial law to be envoked. The people at the Superdome were quiet and patient. The people at the convention center were calm, mainly going after water, food and usable stuff like mattresses to set on the ground.

He WAS the one who objected to the soldiers (NG, I think) who were delivering food going around with their rifles at the ready like they were in downtown Baghdad. Right in front of the news cameras, Honore' was yelling at them: "Get those rifles down -- you're delivering food! GET THOSE G** D*** RIFLES DOWN!" For which he got into trouble, because the twit who was told/had agreed to get the word to the soldiers NOT to wave their guns around, didn't do so.

Sue

#193908 - 01/19/10 04:46 PM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: JohnE]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Pretty harsh, John, especially to those of us on the forum who are following the story, talking our way through the info being presented by the media, and simply trying to make some sense out of the madness. Speaking of madness, I had CNN on last night and saw a clip about looters taking candles from a store, and the tail end of another where a boy had been hurt badly in the head, bleeding and all and noone but the reporter would help. Didn't catch why or how the boy was hurt though. Also a clarification of the roadblocks mentioned earlier in the thread. It appears the roadblocks are being set up by storeowners to prevent looters from ransacking their stores before the store owners can get their stuff out.
I am trying to keep in mind, and all of us should, that the media people are finding the stories that present the best and worst of mankind, the most sensationalized things they can find to get ratings, as they do in any situation. Many are the stories in the media about our area of Kentucky that depict us as uneducated toothless drug addicts without a pot to p--- in. They never show you the people with college educations (myself included) who live in neighborhoods of modern homes (running water and flushing toilets and everything, sorry sue). That's not what sells advertising, and not what draws Americans to the television to see people worse off than they are so they can feel better about themselves.
Sorry, off my soap box now. Point is anything in the media has to be taken with a grain (or shaker) of salt. Anything we see is only a tiny fraction of a much larger whole. Certainly with regards to Haiti we are only seeing a small part of the whole story that is unfolding.

Page 10 of 15 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 14 15 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.