Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192839 - 01/07/10 02:39 PM Apocalypse Man on Hist Chn
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I caught the back half of this show. Not too bad. The guy is somewhere between a Les Stroud and a Bear Grylls I think. Some everyday practical information mixed with catastrophy scenario modeling makes it worth the look.

#192850 - 01/07/10 03:04 PM Re: Apocalypse Man on Hist Chn [Re: benjammin]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Not to Hijack this but Man v. Wild's new season started last night. I noticed they changed/added a tagline to the show commercials stating its not about how to survive but how to live on the edge or some such connotation. I think its a good way to shift the debate on the merits of his shows.

My son (6) saw an episode on Discovery and asked, "Daddy, when is Survivorman coming back on." Anyone know the answer to that.

I'll give Apocalypse man a look. Hadn't heard of it.

#192865 - 01/07/10 04:25 PM Re: Apocalypse Man on Hist Chn [Re: comms]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
benjammin:

We started discussing this in the "surviving historic disasters" thread... I said that if Discovery/BBC didn't have "Man vs. Wild" trademarked, you could have called it "Man vs. Wild: Apocalyptic Edition"

#192867 - 01/07/10 04:27 PM Re: Apocalypse Man on Hist Chn [Re: comms]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
If you are into running through sewers, jumping bridges, climbing fences, and other odd useless things, watch A-man. The show was semi-sorta-kinda-Omega man meets Bear with a strong dose of Junkyard wars thrown in. Some fairly useless information, some common sense stuff, nothing I found new and/or exciting. Fact is, given the choice of taking his advice and trusting to my own devices/skills, I win.

If you can't tell, I wasn't impressed too awful much. Don't think it's a series, just a show for the Applesauce week on History.

#192868 - 01/07/10 04:29 PM Re: Apocalypse Man on Hist Chn [Re: comms]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Saw it, and was wondering why he made his own diesel fuel when he had visited a gas station previously to siphon out gas for the generator. Also, during the bridge crossing scene, if the city was that big there would be adequate resources on either side of the river.
For the recent Man vs wild, Bear killed a reindeer, then subsequently LOST the entire thing when he dropped it in the river...all he could salvage was part of a leg. That was a complete waste of time and energy, and seemed he did it just to prove he could. He should have dresed it immediately and taken what he could, considering he had a pack with him. I took it as a slap in the face of what's practical and necessary in a real survival situation. Such wanton waste is inexcusable and reckless, my two cents worth.

#192871 - 01/07/10 04:38 PM Re: Apocalypse Man on Hist Chn [Re: barbakane]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: barbakane
...was wondering why he made his own diesel fuel when he had visited a gas station previously to siphon out gas for the generator...

Well, he did mention when at the gas station, that the diesel tank was almost empty. But I'm sure they just wanted to show that you could use old cooking oil to run a diesel powered vehicle.

However, for a guy who keeps emphasizing keeping a low profile in the city to avoid attracting attention and constantly scurrying around, I'm wondering if heating up used cooking oil in the open and filling the air with the smell of fried food would be considered "low profile"!

#192893 - 01/07/10 06:17 PM Re: Apocalypse Man on Hist Chn [Re: benjammin]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I haven't seen the show yet but from this review this reviewer didn't seem all that impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2B0suMMZ5U

laugh

#192996 - 01/08/10 04:00 PM Re: Apocalypse Man on Hist Chn [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yeah, the more I think of it, the more I am inclined to agree. I guess I was anxious to fill the void that Les has left.

Over on one of those outdoor channels, I've been watching a series called "Best Defense", among others. I believe they present more realistic scenarios for survival in a catastrophe type situations. For one, they include the use of firearms as survival tools, which I believe is an imperative if things get bad enough to make people desperate, but not so bad that we all die.

That was one big thing missing from the urban survival reality show that was on last year where a group lived in a big warehouse.

#193077 - 01/09/10 06:11 AM Re: Apocalypse Man on Hist Chn [Re: benjammin]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
So I watched this train wreck of a show. I personally encourage anyone and everyone to watch and learn from this guy. Because while everyone is scurring to hook up a CB on a roof top and start generators in hospitals, I am going to quietly slip to a remote location and eak out a life. I may not have a deisel suburban, but I dont have one now.

Not impressed with this idiot. Him and Bear should get together and re-inact the Darwin theory. Sorry. Just hate idiocy. It is like a book about how to learn to read.

#193091 - 01/09/10 02:07 PM Re: Apocalypse Man on Hist Chn [Re: epirider]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I watched the show last night and it was terrible. It is just trying to join the bandwagon of apocalyptic setting movies and shows which have proliferated recently. I guess they needed to get some of that market share.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.