Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#193565 - 01/15/10 12:23 AM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: Arney]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Arney
Actually, getting stuff to Haiti is only half the logistical problem. ...How to distribute them throughout the city securely?

I think Arney has touched on the central and hardest problem to be solved. How to get the help and supplies distributed throughout the city, and how to get it into the hands of the people who need it and not the profiteers.

In addition, soon, if not already, the decomposing dead and lack to sanitary facilities are going to render whole areas uninhabitable. Removal and burial and setting up sanitary facilities are as urgent as getting food and water to the survivors.

IMO the amount of effort needed to organize and run the distribution of aid, and removal of the dead is far far greater than anyone has even begun to think about: and these are things that need to be done now.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the worst is yet to come.

#193567 - 01/15/10 12:43 AM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Dagny's correct, FAA halts air traffic to Haiti, no room for planes.
Quote:
Jan 14, 1:58 PM (ET)

By JOAN LOWY

WASHINGTON (AP) - All civilian flights from the United States to Haiti were halted Thursday at the request of the Haitian government because there is no room at the earthquake damaged Port-au-Prince airport for more planes and no fuel to spare for departing aircraft.

The Federal Aviation Administration ordered the "ground stop" on flights Thursday morning after the Haitian government said it would not accept more flights into Haitian airspace, said a U.S. official who wasn't authorized to speak publicly and asked not to be named.

At the time, there were 11 flights circling the heavily damaged airport, but no more ramp room to store planes once they had landed, the official said.

There was also very limited jet fuel available for planes leaving Haiti, the official said.

The air traffic control tower at Toussaint L'Ouverture International Airport was destroyed in Tuesday's earthquake.

#193569 - 01/15/10 01:49 AM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Birds-eye view of the damage, via satellite. You can zoom in:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/spe...ml?hpid=topnews

Satellite image of Port-au-Prince earthquake damage

Explore this GeoEye satellite image, taken Wednesday at 10:27 a.m., a day after a 7.0-magnitude earthquake struck Haiti's captial and surrounding area.

#193571 - 01/15/10 02:03 AM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal...ml?hpid=topnews

FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION:

The Federal Aviation Administration has canceled a ground stop on civilian flights from the U.S. to Haiti after prohibiting such flights for most of Thursday.

Haitian authorities are slowly accepting inbound flights, but long delays are possible, according to FAA advisories.

Authorities prohibited flights from entering Haitian airspace earlier Thursday as the Port-au-Prince tarmac was clogged with several planes trying to unload relief supplies.

Congestion will remain a problem in the coming days, FAA said.

At least 30 aircraft were parked around the Port-au-Prince airport runway for most of Thursday, with some planes on the ramps around the runway and others on grassy areas.

The Port-au-Prince airport also lacks sufficient fuel to refuel departing flights.

Track FAA’s advisories on Haitian airspace here.

FAA dispatched at least two inspectors on Wednesday to help assess the condition of airport runways in Port-au-Prince and Cape Haitien. Both airports are open only to private and humanitarian flights, it said. The inspectors will check runway surfaces and lighting, with an eye toward ensuring the airports can support round-the-clock civil relief operations.

#193572 - 01/15/10 02:06 AM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: Dagny]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
The first planes from Canada were arriving today. The Minister of Defence mentioned that water treatment and medics were part of the first shipments.
At least they are not facing cold weather on top of the rest of their problems.

I can't help wondering if the attention this disaster brings might spur changes in their government.
Their government has been very bad for a very long time.

#193573 - 01/15/10 02:06 AM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

God bless America.

Updated 7:53 p.m. ET Thursday

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES:

The federal government will deploy thousands of medical professional in the coming days to assist Haitians recovering from the earthquake. More than 250 government doctors, medical professionals are en route, HHS said Thursday night. More than 12,000 personnel could possibly assist in the coming days.

Department officials activated the National Disaster Medical System, which provides assistance to state, local and federal authorities following major disasters, especially in caring for casualties evacuated back to the U.S.

Teams of doctors, nurses, paramedics, emergency medical technicians and surgical physicians with the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps will travel to Haiti, along with other medical personnel from Georgia, California, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Florida, HHS said. The teams will bring along 22,000 pounds of medical equipment and supplies.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will also assist by checking the country's water and food supply.

#193574 - 01/15/10 02:07 AM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: scafool]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: scafool
The first planes from Canada were arriving today. The Minister of Defence mentioned that water treatment and medics were part of the first shipments.
At least they are not facing cold weather on top of the rest of their problems.

I can't help wondering if the attention this disaster brings might spur changes in their government.
Their government has been very bad for a very long time.

And God bless Canada, and all the peoples of the world who are helping.

#193575 - 01/15/10 03:09 AM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: Susan]
gryps Offline
Aspiring Ant

Loc: New Rochelle,NY, USA
Well said. In March 2006, Popular Mechanics came out with a piece about Katrina myths titled "Debunking the Myths of Hurricane Katrina: Special Report" (http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/earth/2315076.html). It makes for some interesting reading, and offers a cautionary tale about the accuracy or 'current' media reporting. It may be wise to reserve judgment for now, until the quality of the information being provided has been ascertained.

#193583 - 01/15/10 06:04 AM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: MartinFocazio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I think my thinking mirrors Martin's in general when it comes to disasters, but I was watching CNN tonight, before I turn in, and I saw some scenes of a vast tent city and seeing that scene made me nervous. I think we've been a bit unintentionally misled by the TV coverage because most shots are limited to these narrow streets and you only see a limited number of people at one time, or else you see these aerial shots of collapsed buildings and few people. But in reality, this is a vast, teeming, densely populated city, and scenes like that park better illustrate how many people are crammed together in this city.

The earthquake was Tuesday and here it is, almost going to be Friday as I write this. I imagine that many or even most people have had little to nothing to eat or even drink since the earthquake, or else the lucky ones have the money to pay an arm and leg on the black market but that money won't last. Just thinking about that tent city--if a water truck pulls up now into the middle of that sea of humanity, with only enough water for a fraction of the people there, how is that scene going to play out? I really hope that people can remain calm and orderly, but now that the shock and confusion of the earthquake must be wearing off by now, I fear that desperation could turn things ugly.

As in many other developing countries, there were food riots last year in Port-Au-Prince when world food prices were going through the roof. UN peacekeepers and Haitian National Police had to battle protesters for a week, protecting the Presidential Palace. Riots, looting, and arsons were common. Things were so bad, the Senators voted to oust the prime minister. So Haiti is certainly no stranger to mass violence.

I really think it's a race between showing the people that food, water, medical care, taking care of the dead is here or at least imminent, and the boiling over of frustrated and desperate Haitians. The planes are stacking up at the airport, but as far as I know, nothing is really going out to the people yet, and that must frustrate a lot of Haitians. (But really, how many people can you feed with the contents of one plane? Compared to millions of city residents--not many. They need to get that port up and running again.)

#193585 - 01/15/10 07:32 AM Re: Haiti: Worst Case Scenario [Re: Blast]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Blast
At least they haven't sent more UN "Peacekeeping" troops. It seems Haitian children have already suffered enough.

-Blast

I think that comment is highly inappropriate.

FIY, there are around 9000 people from UN in a peace keeping operation at Haiti. According to media reports, they have suffered some losses including the collapse of the head quarter. However, the main body of operations seems to be intact and I am sure that is a priceless asset in the situation that unfolds now.

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.