Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#193299 - 01/12/10 11:41 AM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: M_a_x]
Henry_Porter Offline

I happened across a short video that shows some of the production crew involved in filming a Man vs. Wild episode. Reinforces the fact that this is a tv show filmed on location.

http://bit.ly/ZJDX9

For me the MvW scenes that are most noteworthy are the various cold water sequences -- too heart-stoppingly freezing for me.

P.S. Kudos to the OP for a funny thread title.

#193316 - 01/12/10 04:38 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: Pete]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Other Pete, I agree with most of what you have said. And for the purposes of the show mapping out a route ahead of time to keep the show moving is probably a good idea. My concern is that others with less common sense may take away from the show that they can just wing it in a survival situation. I can imagine someone saying to themselves "I'm stranded on an island with no idea how far it is to any other land mass but, hey, Bear built a raft and did ok so I'll do it even though I have no idea where I'll end up." That's a scary thought and I am sure that is not what he is intending for people to take away from the show but it is a possibility. There was a story about someone who survived using techniques they saw on his show. I am afraid it is only a matter of time before those same techniques get somebody killed.

Originally Posted By: Pete
Here are the things I wonder about in Man vs. Wild. First, there are quite a few times when Bear winds up needing to spend the night in an improvised shelter under less-than-ideal conditions. For example, his clothes are soaking wet, it's getting dark, and it's getting cold. OK ... so he lights a small fire. That helps a bit. But with wet, cold clothes it's still a miserable night - 12 hours of freezing darkness lasts a long time! Does he actually DO the whole night out? Or do they just cut the film making, and then everyone goes back to the hotel to drink a lot of beers?

Also, he will occasionally demonstrate how to get liquids for drinking, such as by squeezing bits of cactus or chopping the ends of a jungle creeper. But either way, if you see how much water he gets from this operation - it's really minimal. Just a small trickle of water at best. It's not even close to what he would need to survive while trekking energetically across rough country or paddling a raft across a stretch of ocean. So again - what do they do? Just cut film making for 20 minutes so Bear can quaff down a quart of gatorade??

Those are the parts of the show where I have some serious doubts about what's going on.

From what I have heard that is exactly what Bear does in between takes. Throwing on an extra coat, changing into dry cloths, standing by heaters, quaffing down water or other fluids, even going back to the motel to wait for more favorable weather conditions. Other times I would guess they edit out some of the more tedious parts like water collection, although it does leave you wondering how much was actually collected and how much was just poured from a bottle.
Like you, I still watch the show even though I know these things. He is entertaining and the techniques he uses are less drama than Les Stroud's sometimes (the enema thing seems to have upped the ante some though). He does do a good job of showing how to keep an upbeat attitude in a survival situation (as does Les Stroud). Again my only concern is for the viewers with less common sense that think a survival situation is winging it. Especially impressionable younger viewers.

Originally Posted By: ki4buc
Les Stroud does extensive research. I'm sure there is a link, but he's mentioned a few times in Survivorman that he uses local guides to get a lay of the land, especially for plant life. Every place is unique, and he needs someone to tell him what is good and what is lethal. If I recall, in his shows, you'll hear stuff like "XYZ plant is plentiful in this region, it provides...can be cooked/eaten raw...". I believe he also has a pretty good idea of which way is out. The point is to show surviving for 7 days, not necessarily what to do if you get lost!

And he should do research, as anyone should, before entering an unfamiliar area. I am sure Bear does as well. I wouldn't dare hike in an Arizona desert or enter a Peruvian jungle without first doing extensive research on the area. I don't have a problem with that. And Les does know the way out; like you said his show is more to demonstrate survival skills. However he seems more genuine because he doesn't accept immediate support from his crew while filming (although I did watch one show where he had to call for rescue on day 6 due to lack of water). They are always there for support in an emergency but he can't quaff a bottle of water or put on an extra coat between takes.
That being said I still like both shows for the techniques they present. But like Max said , take it with a liberal dose of salt.

#193319 - 01/12/10 05:16 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Bear gives himself an enema, referencing the Robinsons' use of the tactic during their ordeal...Comments?

For the squeamish, don't forget that our colons and digestive tracts are normally teeming with billions and billions of bacteria anyway so it's not like we're fouling some sterile environment in our bodies. And the lining of the colon is essentially the same thing as the semi-permeable membrane from a reverse osmosis filter. So, whatever nasty water you introduce using an enema, in all likelihood, whatever shouldn't get into your body will just get left behind in the colon and then expelled in short order.

Those who suffer from constipation see similar effects--moist digested matter moves slowly through the colon, the colon continues to extract more and more moisture, until the final form is rather dry and hard.

Of course, introducing the wrong little bugs into our digestive tracts, could lead to a sort of "food poisoning" or infection but then again, maybe not.

I'd say that it's a physiologically logical method at extracting desperately needed water from certain sources, although not necessarily the most appealing idea. And there some risks, too, like from a contaminant in the water and the risk of injury from performing an enema out in the field.

Edited by Arney (01/12/10 05:35 PM)

#193360 - 01/12/10 11:40 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: haertig]
HerbG Offline

It seems that each Bear episode features something beyond the pale to stir up viewer interest. The fact we are discussing this stunt here is evidence that it works!

#193395 - 01/13/10 03:20 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: Pete]
jcurphy Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
The colon is already colonized (no pun intended lol), with billions of bacteria that compete for space and resources. I would not worry too much (if at all) about how contaminated the water might be, unless you had a perforation - in which case you would be in deep doo-doo anyhow. However, I would be extremely concerned about the osmolality of sea-water, as some one else pointed out, water follows salt, so if the salt-water enema had a higher concentration of salt than the blood (quite possible), you would end up becoming even more dehydrated.

#193408 - 01/13/10 05:38 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: jcurphy]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Not to mention the damage that could be done without lube. Torn tissue AND bacteria laden water. That could turn deadly real quick.

#193528 - 01/14/10 08:43 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: Mark_F]
duckear Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Not to mention the damage that could be done without lube. Torn tissue AND bacteria laden water. That could turn deadly real quick.

Hmmmm, another use for cotton balls and petroleum jelly??????

This enema stuff all goes back to that family adrift for weeks in a liferaft. Mom was a nurse, some of the water was contaminated, and Jr was too sick/nauseated/seasick to drink. She rigged up an enema for him.

Now, everybody thinks KY and a rubber hose should be in every overwater kit.

#193530 - 01/14/10 08:48 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: duckear]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Ok, I saw the episode finally. Re-ran last nite. I saw the water we are talking about. I think when Bear hurt his shoulder the drugs they gave him affected his cognitive reasoning centers.

Of course, we are taking it on faith that he used the vile, nasty, evil looking, bird poopy ridden, water we saw him scooping out of the hollow in the rock - the same water he contamnated a canteen cup and canteen with. Why, Bear would not lie to us would he?

Let's take what we saw with a grain of salt (pun intended) and file it away as a just another virtually useless survival fact.

What really got me was when he was recovering the ship's rope. He wondered if it would float. Well freaking duh... if it didn't float how did it come to be at the island and not on the sea bottom. I swear, sometimes common sense totally escapes that man.

#193534 - 01/14/10 09:01 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: JBMat]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: JBMat
Of course, we are taking it on faith that he used the vile, nasty, evil looking, bird poopy ridden, water we saw him scooping out of the hollow in the rock

Exactly. The screen was censored anyway, who knows if he really performed the deed. I handed the clicker to DW when this came on again.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 262 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.