The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#193645 - 01/15/10 10:23 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: Eugene]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
All, Thanks for the reply's, there is lots of good information flowing here.

Mark,

As I said in my original post:

Quote:
An enhanced pocket survival kit to be worn at ALL times, carried in a small fanny pack.

A Primary survival kit for the climate, in a small ruck that I keep in reach at all times.

I was looking for ideas for both an on-the-person kit and a small pack size kit to grab. Not just PSK's but additions to them for the problem at hand. Since the person in question is an MD, he will not be working in the field, but in a more static location. It has been my experience, however, that even that type of person can go from helping rescue to needing rescue very quickly -- especially in an earthquake situation.

Thanks,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (01/15/10 10:25 PM)

#193646 - 01/15/10 10:43 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: JerryFountain]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
A few hours ago, I was requested to deploy to Haiti with a volunteer group possibly as early as this coming Tuesday that will provide infrastructure support for an aid agency. Our area of responsibility is with comms, computers, networks and other related IT tasks much like Matthew described (but on a smaller scale) in an earlier post.

Several of us have EMT, firefighter and other medical experience and are cross trained in many areas both medically and tech wise.

We all were given a mandatory supply list and also are allocated 20 lbs each of personal items that we want to take with us on our flight. There are plans for a follow up re-supply flight in about 14-18 days after our day of departure and until then we need to be fully self sufficient until we get a re-supply. Our expected deployment time is 60 days minimum.

If I get time, I will post the list later tonight or tomorrow.

John Lubbock

#193647 - 01/15/10 10:46 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: Teslinhiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Teslinhiker,

Looking forward to your reports!
Good luck and God bless.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#193656 - 01/16/10 03:47 AM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: Teslinhiker]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Good luck to you, Teslinhiker!

#193678 - 01/16/10 05:57 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: paramedicpete]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Thanks Pete.

#193681 - 01/16/10 06:28 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: JerryFountain]
Pete Offline
Veteran

The question you're asking is a LOT harder than you think. I've been looking for answers to that question for 15 years now ... and I'm still on the learning curve.

If you put together a massive list of personal supplies - it all looks good on paper. But by the time you get it all together, you'll be lucky if you can fit it into two large duffel bags. Great - but what do you plan to DO to actually help the people that you are reaching? Two bags is the limit for a standard passenger on a commercial aircraft. You've succeeded in being 100% prepared to guarantee your own survival ... and 0% prepared to help that people who are suffering in the disaster zone.

So - to move you along. You need to MINIMIZE the massive lists of survival gear that people are preparing here. THROW OUT at least 50-60% of the gear. That's right ... leave it at home! Truth its ... you don't really need it anyway. it just makes you a target for 3'rd world looters and robbers.

It takes experience to make that final cut - which gear really needs to go and which gear does not. You've got to know your destination fairly well, and estimate what can be improvised from the local stuff that's available.

Do you see why I occasionally drop into this forum now. I don't pay attention at all to all the people making lists of PSK's. But I DO pay great attention to people who can improvise effective survival solutions from simple everyday stuff. That's a real skill!! There are some great suggestions on this forum.

Ohhh .. and by the way. Tell your friend good luck and best wishes with his trip. He's doing something good for the world - and that counts for a lot! It really won't matter if he forgets some gear - there will be so many other volunteers in Haiti that he should be able to trade/buy anything that he has forgotten. So there's absolutely no need for him to stress out.

other Pete

Edited by Pete (01/17/10 03:48 PM)

#193719 - 01/17/10 12:52 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: Art_in_FL]
jcurphy Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I think people tend to load up on way more OTC medicines than are necessary, namely anti-diarrheals (loperamide), which may cause more harm than good. Your GI tract responds to infectious pathogens by clearing them out (diarrhea), in which case if you stop the diarrhea, you prevent your body from ridding itself of the pathogen. It's better to increase fluid replacement (electrolyte solutions) and get some rest. Most cases clear up within a few days and are likely viral. If it lasts longer or the severity is such that dehydration is a big problem, you need medical attention - in which case an anti-diarrheal may be necessary, if, and only if, medical care is not immediately available.

Most people I know are too quick to pop open XYZ OTC drug to control symptoms for whatever's ailing them, when increasing fluids and simply getting some rest will help them recover quicker. Of course this speaks to our fast-paced, cannot-be-bothered-by-illness lifestyles wink

#193723 - 01/17/10 02:34 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: jcurphy]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

There are also other type of anti diarrhea pills. Personally i use 'Norit', which are activated carbon pellets. The are suppose to absorb the toxins and other nasties that couse the diarrhea.

#193726 - 01/17/10 02:41 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I just endure the episode, thereby getting some of the rest that is advocated. Works for me.

I think you are absolutely right about the overemphasis on meds.

#193729 - 01/17/10 04:09 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: JerryFountain]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Jerry

By the way ... I'd say that if your friend has any problem at all - he needs to think about clean water. That is ... clean water for himself. It is likely that water could be scarce in Haiti after this earthquake, and purified water will not be easy to obtain. It is possible that the normal supplies of water have been disrupted, and there could be a risk of cholera. The local environment will be a risk because of the putrid decay of all the bodies that are trapped in the rubble. Clean up is unlikely to happen for a long time.

In these circumstances, your friend needs a good water filter. Almost anything (virus, harmful organism) could be in the water down there. I would strongly recommend that he also boil ALL water before drinking ... if it has come from natural sources.

People in the USA tend to assume that water purification technology works well everywhere. But I've had a lot of headaches with water sterlization. None of the common solutions works well at all (except boiling). Water purifiers that are available off the shelf in places like REI and Sports Chalet (outdoors stores) can filter out viruses. But the filters tend to clog up rapidly if there is any dirt in the water. In the third world, there is ALWAYS dirt in the water!

Likewise, purification tablets can work (iodine and chlorine) but they make the water taste terrible. Then people won't drink it - so they start getting dehydrated. I am talking about volunteers from 1'st world countries, not people in the 3'rd world. Haitians will drink any clean water available - bad taste or not. But we have become very spoiled with the abundance of pure fresh-tasting water, so volunteers from the USA and the UK often won't drink enough water that is purified by iodine or chlorine. Eventually they get sick because of long-term dehydration.

Your friend probably needs a good small stove, fuel, and a pot for boiling water. Unfortunately, fuel for the stove cannot be shipped by conventional airlines and it may be hard to come by in Haiti. THERE'S the problem!!!

This particular subject - availability of clean drinking water in a large-scale disaster zone - is a major headache. It is a good "personal challenge" for all the members of this forum ... in terms of coming up with possible solutions.

other Pete

Edited by Pete (01/17/10 04:27 PM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.