Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#193598 - 01/15/10 02:18 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: KG2V]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats why I was trying to see what kind of electrical work. Do you use those Anderson Powerpoles on your 12v radios? Ideal has a pair of pliers that I found at lowes which works well to crimp those. I also have one of those crimpmaster tools which the interchangeable dies so you can crimp different kinds of cable.

#193604 - 01/15/10 02:55 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: Matthew]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Thanks for the input Matthew. And welcome. I knew there would be some rescue professionals offering better input. Good to know about the lighters and matches, I did not know about issues with those at airports (I don't fly). Any problems with the flint and steel? Could you include that with the regular kit if there is not any airport issues? The wind-up torch (That is a flashlight with a crank, right?) seems like a good idea - no extra batteries needed. But what if you have to work in the dark and need both hands? Like I said I am not a professional but this seems like it could be a likely scenario in a major catastrophe. A headlight could be a valuable addition to the kit. I am also trying to figure out how the kit items are to be stowed. Some of it seems to be large items (folding bucket, 4 t-shirts, life jacket, hat and such) that would not stow easily in pockets. I assume this is not intended to be a pocket sized personal kit. So does it all go in the Pelican case for travel, unpacked when you reach the site and place what will fit in the vest and other pockets? Stow the rest in the case and lock it up? Is it all loose and up to the individual to place where they want or are the smaller items (duct tape, twine, can opener, etc) in their own case (a kit if you will)? Is the universal bath plug useful for other than its intended purpose? Could you comment on some less obvious intended purposes of the items you list? For instance, the folding bucket, useful for a lot of different things but is it intended for a portable loo, carrying water, or something else? Maybe something medical? Vomit catcher or stowage for medical waste? I hope you and everyone else will forgive my ignorance.

Jerry, I looked at part of your original post.

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
What would you carry for a personal kit (not the equipment you bring to help others) if you were going to Haiti to help in the current crisis?

I was just wondering if you are talking about a pocket-sized kit, or pack-sized? I would think both would probably be a good idea. A little redundancy never hurt anybody. laugh Do you want just kit items or can we add personal items not neccessarily part of the kit to our list? For instance, I did not put a hat on my list because I figured someone would already be wearing one. For a pack-sized kit I would add some mosquito netting, maybe a hammock (I am thinking you would not want to sleep on the ground in Haiti - snakes, spiders, etc), shovel, tarps and so on. Sorry to ramble but it seems everyone has a different take as to what comprises a personal kit. Perhaps we should allow categories here for items on person (hat, sunglasses, gloves), items in pocket kit, and items in pack kit. I know the pros take this for granted but for the average joes like me it would be a big help. Carry on.

#193619 - 01/15/10 04:26 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Second the fanny pack with critical gear - ID, cell phone, meds, sanitizer, flashlight, TP (mission critical). There are no 7-11's handy so triple spares of glasses, meds, disposables, sunscreen, personal FAK/ toiletries.

This is a guess from far away but I suspect that most people going to an event will be spending the nights in large camps with other rescuers. From that I would guess that there will much of some stuff and critical shortages of other stuff.

What I might pack for working "in camp."

wet wipes
unique looking bottle/ mug for water
flasks of non-water beverages
batteries, them more.
solar/ crank charger for whatever electronics you are carrying.
locks for your gear
cash
jumbo repair kit
music player
plastic bags/ boxes ( dust)

It is a hot dusty environment. expect to be outdoors/ semi outdoors for weeks

sunscreen
sunglasses (case) spares / wipes
hat
chapsticks

trade goods: ( for your team)
any chocolate that can take 95 degrees
pens
tiny snacks of any kind( powerded drink mixes)
earplugs ( box)
any sort of caffeine

Again, these are guesses - but might be a good place to start

TRO

Edited by TeacherRO (01/15/10 04:29 PM)

#193625 - 01/15/10 05:02 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: paramedicpete]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Quote:
I find Pete's list with BLACK boots interesting, particularly in light that the Army (and I believe USMC) have offically moved over to the Tan desert type boots, and frankly, in a situtation like Haiti, the color probably doesn't matter

The black boots go with the navy blue that many US Fire/Rescue teams wear, just part of the tradition. Working in rubble piles and mud will quickly dirty any boot, the darker color tends to hide the dirt a little. As you say the actual color probably does not matter for this individual, just as long as they provide the proper protection.

Pete

I would certainly go with leather, with a gore lining if preferred. Colour doesn't matter, but leather doesn't absorb anything nasty as readily as fabric or suede.

#193627 - 01/15/10 05:11 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: Eugene]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Thats why I was trying to see what kind of electrical work. Do you use those Anderson Powerpoles on your 12v radios? Ideal has a pair of pliers that I found at lowes which works well to crimp those. I also have one of those crimpmaster tools which the interchangeable dies so you can crimp different kinds of cable.

Yep

http://www.thegallos.com/ppole.htm

Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#193631 - 01/15/10 05:54 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: KG2V]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

The "optimization" of a tool (not neccessarily the electrical one in question, just as a general rule) should generally depend on the user. Electrical is good for electricians, but maybe not so much for medical personnel. They may do better with a more basic tool.

#193632 - 01/15/10 06:05 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: KG2V]
Matthew Offline
Stranger

Golly, what a lot of questions while I was asleep. As the thread was personal equipment, that is all that I listed. Let me give you a fuller picture.

The IT&T ERU's (there only 5 in the world, one in the USA) task is to provide the office communications services so that the Red Cross can function independant of infrastructure. To that end we deploy with comprehensive tool kits, satellite terminals, HF, VHF, solar panels, generator, WiFi PCs and office periferals. Thus on arrival we need make no demands on local resources. In additon the IFRC has a standard list of equipment so that (in theory) we all arrive with compatible equipment. An informed decsision is made as to what is needed immediatley and what can be sent later if required. Where possible all the equipment travels as personal luggage so that we are fully equipped on arrival and it seems to cost no more than shipping freight.

The equipment for personal survival/working is packed in modules so that no more is carried than required, but some sort of meagre existance is possible should we misjudge what was needed.

The SOG has needle nosed pliers, wire strippers, scissors, knife, saw, awl, 1/4" drive for socket spanners and assorted screwdrivers. It is black and engraved to reduce the chance of it being picked up by "accident". It's main function is morale and team builing, they are issued when training is completed. Team members are expected to safely manage energy all the way from petrol in the can, through the generator to EM waves in the atmosphere.

The Personal Deployment pack contains all on the list below it (it is a bugger to make it all fit). The lifejacket looks like a fannypack on a waistbelt but does a proper job of keeping an unconscious body in the right attitude. The strobe and heliograph are tied to the lifejacket for obvious reasons.

The wind up flash light is the size of a postage stamp and is a last resort, individuals are expected to supply their own headlamps. The T shirts are really for trade/gifts, to say thankyou to your driver, that sort of thing. The bucket and/or bath plug, with the laundry liquid, enable you to keep your clothes fresh (don't forget we are there to work, not simply survive). I simply assume that the flint and steel will not be recognised by airport security staff.

Sorry, this is becoming a long post. Lastly let me tell you what I advise people to carry in their hand baggage on the plane, same philosphy as above but personal purchase not supplied by NZRC:

Water bladder
Lightweight poncho
Folding umbrella
Sun glasses
Sunhat
USB stick with operational information, images of passports and credit cards, reference library
Pen, pencil and notepad
Small flashlight
2 complete changes of clothes
laundry liquid (bottle smaller than 100ml)
Ipod with noise cancelling headphones
Book
body warmer
light weight rain jacket
Shoes (I wear my boots on the plane)
Wash kit
Sleeping kit
Pain killers
Headlamp
Hammock
Silk sheet sleeping bag
This all adds up to 11Kg, fortunately my hand baggage (backpack) is rarely weighed

I carry money, travel documents and passports on my person.

Phew, that's it, thank you for your patience

Matthew

#193641 - 01/15/10 08:10 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: Matthew]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Sorry to tax you like that Matthew. We (or at least I) are a curious bunch and will ask a lot of questions. The other pros in the forum probably less so. I would like to have been (and would still like to be) a rescue professional or volunteer in some capacity but personal responsibility with regard to my medical condition has kept me from persuing that route. What good would a diabetic having an insulin reaction be to a group of lost hikers? Or to someone trapped in a building? For the same reasons I could not pursue a career in police, fire, or ambulance services. I would have liked to serve in our nations military but they will not accept diabetics in the ranks either. No way to get a Commercial Drivers License or pilot license either. Fate is truly a fickle thing.
Sorry to ramble and run off course. Nice post BTW, appreciate the info and clarification.

#193643 - 01/15/10 08:31 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: Mark_F]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Mark,

There are many roles you can fill despite your medical condition.

If your blood sugar is under control, there is no reason you could not become an EMT. I personally know several EMTs with diabetes both insulin and non-insulin dependant.

Every Volunteer Fire Company I know is always looking for logistical support, which does not require one to be in prime physical condition. Administrative roles for fund raising, bookkeeping, EMS billing, fire prevention education, CPR and First Aid instruction and general station duties. Operational roles could include: EMT, Fire Police, and manning Rehab and Logistical units.

Don’t sell yourself short; you can be a very valuable and productive member of any Fire/Rescue company. Now get busy, no more excuses grin!

Pete

#193644 - 01/15/10 09:15 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: KG2V]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe
Originally Posted By: Eugene

Yep

http://www.thegallos.com/ppole.htm

Look up Ideal 35-1071 at lowes, under $10 and seems to be made for the powerpoles. I have a some and have made adapters from the automotive plug to them and back.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.