Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#193345 - 01/12/10 09:25 PM Re: Avatar [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
On a side note, someone is going to make a killing on the "Pandora MMO".

#193384 - 01/13/10 01:35 PM Re: Avatar [Re: Nicodemus]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
This Saturday I'm going to see Avatar in 3D with a group of special needs kids (young teens) who can be impacted by sensory overload. They've been given an alternative movie that they can go see (at the same theater) but I suspect they'll want to try to see Avatar.

I'm looking forward to it.

#193467 - 01/14/10 04:14 AM Re: Avatar [Re: KenK]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I saw it in IMAX 3D today and it was great. The movie itself probably not so good by itself, but in IMAX 3d it was awesome.

There was a young girl next to me and she kept jumping, and making sounds, I would not take young people to this movie. The story line may be hard to follow, especially for special needs kids... coupled with it being in 3D it may = lots of talking and questions.

#193468 - 01/14/10 04:31 AM Re: Avatar [Re: Todd W]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Do you still wear the special glasses for modern 3D movies?

#193479 - 01/14/10 01:31 PM Re: Avatar [Re: haertig]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Yes, you still have to wear special glasses, but it's not the old Linear Polarized System or the older Red and Blue Lens System. Instead, it's two opposing circularly polarized lenses. Now alternating clockwise and counter-clockwise polarized frames are projected by one projector instead of two linearly polarized frames being projected at once by two separate projectors or both red and blue colors per frame on one projector.

#193492 - 01/14/10 03:44 PM Re: Avatar [Re: Nicodemus]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
Having seen this movie in 3d, i enjoyed it immensely. There was good and bad aspects. I felt the 3d was good for most of the time, not distracting and an easy immersion experience, but during close ups, mostly in the beginning lab scene, focus was only forefront, the background was fuzzy and unfocused. My eyes don't work that way so i focused on that, drawing my attention to the 3d part. as the movie progressed i stopped noticing and looking for the 3d part, it just was awesome. the story was not original or inspired. Dances with wolves told the same story in a different time. While there is some character development they seem not as encompassing as say the characters in Dances with Wolves. That said, the Special Effects were worth seeing. The story line is bearable, and all in all i would give the movie 4 out of 5 stars. While i think the storyline could have been better developed, it was still enjoyable and worth paying to see in the theater.

The grip bothered me too Compugeek!
I have an extra.

#193506 - 01/14/10 05:55 PM Re: Avatar [Re: EchoingLaugh]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Do those new 3D glasses work well for us near-sighted-bifocaled folks (5.5 diopter nearsighted) who wear prescription eyewear normally? Sorry to take this thread on a bit of a tangent, but I'd like to see this show in 3D if that would work for me. If I must, 2D would be a fallback if the 3D technology doesn't work well for us nearsighted guys.

#193510 - 01/14/10 06:06 PM Re: Avatar [Re: haertig]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: haertig
Do those new 3D glasses work well for us near-sighted-bifocaled folks (5.5 diopter nearsighted) who wear prescription eyewear normally? Sorry to take this thread on a bit of a tangent, but I'd like to see this show in 3D if that would work for me. If I must, 2D would be a fallback if the 3D technology doesn't work well for us nearsighted
guys.

My old man enjoyed it and had on his glasses under the 3d glasses.

#193597 - 01/15/10 02:14 PM Re: Avatar [Re: Todd W]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
EchoingLaugh: SO glad I'm not the only one . . . .

haertig: I wear progressive bifocals for severe nearsightedness. I used to get almost migraine-level headaches from 3D movies with the old polarized glasses. I came out of Avatar with a very mild headache, one that I didn't even feel a need to take any aspirin for.

The 3D glasses rode in front of my regular glasses just fine. Once I got used to feeling of the extra pair, I forgot they were there.

If you're inclined to see it in 3D, go for it.

#193677 - 01/16/10 05:30 PM Re: Avatar [Re: Compugeek]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Anyone seen it in 3d, and also in IMAX 3d? Curious the differences.

I've only see it in IMAX 3D.

Twice now, and the second time for me seemed much quicker, and faced passed... I think it was because I was now trying to absorb everything where-as the first I had to pay attention to the story line too.

If it wasn't soooo costly, and 1hr away I may see it a 3rd in theatre. I leave with a mild headache that lasts about 5 minutes, and then is gone. My wife was almost throwing up though, she gets motion sickness super easy.

Edited by Todd W (01/16/10 05:31 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.