Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#193423 - 01/13/10 07:41 PM Re: M7.0 Earthquake in Haiti [Re: Harry_Tuttle]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

"As World Looks to Help Haiti, Scammers Sit Poised"

"Two that are trustworthy are:
-- Texting HAITI to 90999: The U.S. Department of State's Web site suggests texting "HAITI" to "90999" to donate $10 to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts. The $10 will be charged to your cell phone bill. Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to contribute to the disaster relief efforts.

-- Texting YELE to 501501: On Twitter, musician Wyclef Jean, a native of Haiti, notes, "Haiti needs your help text YELE to 501501 and 5 dollars will go toward earthquake relief." Yele Haiti is a grassroots movement Jean has set up to inspire change in Haiti through programs in education, sports, the arts and environment."

Sue

#193424 - 01/13/10 07:43 PM Re: M7.0 Earthquake in Haiti [Re: NightHiker]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
[quote=NightHiker
I didn't see anything about that on the Red Cross website (maybe I didn't look closely enough) but I did see that scammers are already capitalizing on the disaster mad
[/quote]

The Red Cross does give the text "HAITI" option to receive donations, but it also points people to their International Response Fund for donations too. I suggest that when in doubt, donate directly to a fund.

from http://newsroom.redcross.org/2010/01/12/disaster-alert-earthquake-in-haiti/

12:30am (1/13/2010) You can text “HAITI” to 90999 to donate $10 to American Red Cross relief for Haiti.

6:20 pm The American Red Cross is pledging an initial $200,000 to assist communities impacted by this earthquake, and is prepared to take further action as local responders assess the situation. As with most earthquakes, we expect to see immediate needs for food, water, temporary shelter, medical services and emotional support.

The American Red Cross is accepting donations through our International Response Fund.

#193429 - 01/13/10 08:19 PM Re: M7.0 Earthquake in Haiti [Re: Lono]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

... and I found out that for the text "HAITI" option to give $10 to the Red Cross, 100% of that donation goes to the Haiti relief operation. Mentioned on a local Red Cross twitter page, http://twitter.com/SeattleRedCross.

However you give, you would be helping many who are in need.

#193432 - 01/13/10 09:05 PM Re: M7.0 Earthquake in Haiti [Re: NightHiker]
Harry_Tuttle Offline
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: Harry_Tuttle
Also, $10 goes to the American Red Cross if you text "HAITI" to "90999", charged to your cell phone bill.

Ref: http://blogs.state.gov/index.php/site/entry/disaster_haiti

I didn't see anything about that on the Red Cross website (maybe I didn't look closely enough) but I did see that scammers are already capitalizing on the disaster mad

Oh and welcome to the forum Harry, I don't mean to cast suspicion on you after only two posts (that wouldn't be much of a welcome) but since you just signed up yesterday and your first post was informing folks of a way they could donate that I couldn't verify...it's nothing personal, just a matter of timing and that I'm just suspicious by nature, no offense intended. The State Department feels it's legit so it probably is...

Absolutely no offense taken. I'm all in favor of a healthy amount of skepticism :-)

#193442 - 01/13/10 10:20 PM Re: M7.0 Earthquake in Haiti [Re: Harry_Tuttle]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

It may interest folks to know that the text HAITI method of getting $10 to the Red Cross Haiti relief fund has already yielded in excess of $800,000 in donations. That's a little bit of good from a whole lot of really good people. I don't speak for the Red Cross I'm just a volunteer, but let me say thank you, it does a heart good to see people step up and help out strangers in their time of dire need.

And the Red Cross has upped its commitment to $1 million from the earlier $200,000 commitment. No doubt more will be on the way.

#193449 - 01/13/10 11:00 PM Re: M7.0 Earthquake in Haiti [Re: NightHiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Gawd, these poor folks hardly had a pot to p--- in before; now that pot is smashed to smithereens and buried under what's left of their infrastructure. It's such a mess; where do you start?

Don't know about you, but I'm going to take a moment to kiss the ground and thank my lucky stars. And then, I think, some extra dollars to MSF.

#193480 - 01/14/10 01:45 PM Re: M7.0 Earthquake in Haiti [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I was listening to World Radio this morning interviewing a man who had lost one daughter under their house and whose second daughter had both legs shattered to the point bones were sticking out through her skin and her scalp had been tore off. There were no pain meds available for this little girl. She was screaming in the background

Now multiply that by thousands.

Dear God.

-Blast, sick to his stomach
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#193484 - 01/14/10 02:19 PM Re: M7.0 Earthquake in Haiti [Re: Lono]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
ALL fees are waived for the Red Cross haiti donation.
If you donate $10, the red cross gets $10.

#193493 - 01/14/10 03:45 PM Re: M7.0 Earthquake in Haiti [Re: MartinFocazio]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

The Washington Post has a photo gallery with some astounding, and gruesome, depictions of the devastation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...ST2010011401110

#193494 - 01/14/10 04:01 PM Re: M7.0 Earthquake in Haiti [Re: ki4buc]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Although very unlikely because of our building codes in California, still, it got me to thinking--even if I spread stuff around between where I live, work, my car--what if all of them were stuck under a few tons of concrete rubble like so many of the buildings in Port Au Prince? In other words, even a preparedness-minded Haitian could still have ended up with nothing. Even burying a cache in the ground wouldn't help if a hillside denuded of all vegetation slid down and buried it.

Did anyone see that video of some mine or other excavation site? You see the first couple feet of a big dump truck sticking out of this huge wall of light colored dirt that towers over the truck. Apparently there are two more dump trucks and their drivers under that huge pile. A lone guy in a loader is scooping out dirt, but you get the uneasy sense that the wall of dirt is simply going to come crashing down on the loader as soon as he digs away enough dirt from the bottom or a big enough aftershock hits...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.