Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#193332 - 01/12/10 07:10 PM Re: You have a year's supply of food.... [Re: DesertFox]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"My reasoning is if things get so bad that you would need more some where else, then why bother to leave?"

I agree with this. For most likely scenarios, bugging out would be temporary, due to chlorine/ammonia tank rupture, fire, etc. Bugging out is an interesting scenario to contemplate, but not very realistic. You may be able to take food, water, weapons and gas, but what will you be doing for shelter? Living in a loaded 4WD would get old really fast. Build shelter? With what, just your kaybar? You're just one more refugee with dwindling supplies in a situation like that.

During widespread disorder, gathering friends and neighbors to create a sort of fort (even of several homes in a group) would seem to be the best way. You could share the work, the protection, the growing and guarding of fruits and vegetables and small livestock. Most soils need improvement for growing decent crops, so it's best that you get started on that before the need -- afterward is too late.

I've been talking to a friend in SoCal, and she and her husband have been quietly getting some of their neighbors to store supplies and make plans to do just that for the last two years. SoCal wouldn't be my first choice of the place to do it, but you do what you can with what you've got. But planning ahead puts you far, far ahead of the rest of the pack.

Sue

#193333 - 01/12/10 07:16 PM Re: You have a year's supply of food.... [Re: benjammin]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Entirely relevent, and a part of reality in much of the world already, unfortunate and sad to say. Some people will stop acting civil in times of desperation and a lack of authoritative control is presents itself. Our time for such behavior on a large scale will come soon enough. For now, we can continue to enjoy living a soft, relatively low-risk lifestyle.

Equipped to Survive includes planning for the inevitable. If you go out in public, you should expect that sooner or later you will be confronted with the ugly reality that there are a lot of people out there willing to use whatever force they can to separate you from your belongings. No one else is going to stop them. So if you don't plan to, then expect to have nothing eventually. That may be a fine and acceptable outcome for some, but I have responsibilities and commitments still that preclude me from such a carefree attitude.

Discussing the psychology of folks - prepared and unprepared - after a disaster, I'm all over that - figuring out where to build forts with my friends or what to do with my stuff before I embark on a 1,000 mile journey surely fraught with post-apolcalyptic peril, not so much.

#193335 - 01/12/10 07:39 PM Re: You have a year's supply of food.... [Re: Lono]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
If the situation is so dire where you live that you must evacuate -- and so dire everywhere else that you may need your year stash of food -- then if you can't take it all with you by yourself, it's time to coordinate with some of your neighbors that you trust.

Traveling in a group could increase your safety margin. And no point leaving behind what may very well be looted anyway.

You have gobs of food, maybe one or more of them has gobs of guns, ammo, tools and fuel. Maybe one of them is a skilled mechanic who can keep the vehicles running. Or has a cargo trailer. Or has medical skills and medicine. Or has a place in the hills where you all can evacuate to. Or has camping gear.

Be good to know all this in advance of an emergency.

Create a community on wheels. I'd rather bug out with a group I know than alone among millions of strangers.

#193341 - 01/12/10 08:33 PM Re: You have a year's supply of food.... [Re: Dagny]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Traveling in a group could increase your safety margin.

Circle them RVs, Transits and SUVs, the 'Feds, Canucks, Iranians, Gang Bangers, Aliens, Zombies, Yankees, British, North Koreans, Ruskies, Confederates, Injuns, Mexicans, Cubans, Alaskans, '* are coming.

* delete as appropriate depending on the level of paranoia. wink

Ahem, no racism or political incorrectness is implied, its just that I've just watched to many Hollywood movies. Oh and to much CNN and Foxnews. Sometimes fact and fiction begin to merge at the edges. And I do apologize beforehand for anyone or group that has been left out. grin

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/12/10 08:34 PM)

#193343 - 01/12/10 09:10 PM Re: You have a year's supply of food.... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Should the great zombie attack come, I am sitting tight.

I know the terrain, the area, where things are, where people aren't.

Unless it is an environemental catastrophe - nuke/poison gas kind - I am hunkering down, cleaning some weapons and watching and waiting.

Sorta helps when your entire neighborhood is retired Airborne, lol.

#193346 - 01/12/10 09:25 PM Re: You have a year's supply of food.... [Re: barbakane]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: barbakane
You have a years supply of food , and still have to bug out, due to an incident like what was shown recently on the Disaster Channel. You can't take all the supplies with you...what do you do?

Is this a trick question?

I have some supplies for a few days, bring some guns and ammo and use my guns to intimidate and take food from those who aren't armed. Shoot anyone who resists.

Sounds right?

#193347 - 01/12/10 09:28 PM Re: You have a year's supply of food.... [Re: barbakane]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
I hope I never have to Bug Out for any reason ... I wonder if there are any statistics on how often that actually happens?

However, I have wondered if I would delay or "waffle", if presented with a situation where Bug Out is the best alternative? ... in other words, might I wait around too long because I like my stash of stuff too much?

#193350 - 01/12/10 09:44 PM Re: You have a year's supply of food.... [Re: MartinFocazio]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Bingo! As someone said, the best defense is a good offense.

#193357 - 01/12/10 11:19 PM Re: You have a year's supply of food.... [Re: NightHiker]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
This is simply an exercise of thinking about options.
If your next best option after evacuation is a place 100 miles away great. If you think strictly in terms of evacuating long distance or shelter in place, you may not realize there may be options, leaving yourself open to panic or indecision, both dangerous. There are no hard and fast rules, always options.
Remember, nothing is over until YOU decide it is.

#193358 - 01/12/10 11:25 PM Re: You have a year's supply of food.... [Re: barbakane]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

The smart-alecks are out in force but I'll reply again anyway.

Barkabane -- what options do you envision other than evacuation or sheltering in?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.