Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#191426 - 12/21/09 01:30 PM Avatar
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

We went to see it at IMAX 3D and it was awesome overall and visually stunning. What was most impressive was that the 3D seemed so natural, it just seemed "normal" to be watching it in 3D, no overdone stuff that is so common in 3D movies heretofore to get the 3D point across. As for the movie itself, I was left with the same awestruck feeling I had when I viewed the first Star Wars the day it came out (showing my age...). The world and aliens they have built using CGI are totally believable and incredibly "real," which is a hard thing to accomplish, especially to a jaded viewer.

As for the story line and such, I didn't find it as bad as some reviewers have suggested. It has the usual elements of any good tale, there's nothing particularly new there, but it is well done and masterfully put together and directed. The 2:40 goes by very quickly and I was craving more, even as it ran down to the end. The ending is a bit hokey and simplistic, in much the same way that the original Star Wars was. It is a bit preachy at times, but I expected that and it didn't detract from the experience for me, though it did for my friend who accompanied us, but not so much that he didn't enjoy it in balance.

I will go to see it again, soon. The first time is a bit overwhelming and I want to be able to see more that I missed the first time around. I can count on one hand the number of movies I felt that way about.

All in all, two thumbs up, five stars, whatever. Don't miss it and I recommend you see it in IMAX 3D if you can.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#191427 - 12/21/09 01:32 PM Re: Avatar [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I'm glad to hear the good review. I'm going to see it today.

#191428 - 12/21/09 01:40 PM Re: Avatar [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
With a review like that coming from a "jaded viewer", I'll put this on my Christmas to-do list. Thanks.

#191436 - 12/21/09 02:27 PM Re: Avatar [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I wasn't too impressed with Cameron's last movie 'Titanic'. 'Titanic' didn't compare well with A Night to Remember from 1958 and in Black and White for example. CGI whether realistic 3-D or not is no substitute for a good story line or script.

Again the same situation with 'Star Wars'. The first three movies (or would that be the last 3 star wars movies) were incredibly annoying because of the ground breaking CGI (still cannot watch any of the CGI star wars movies from beginning to the end) but then again I was brought up on the original Star Trek, UFO , Dr Who , Space 1999 , Blake's Seven etc all of which had terrible special effects.

Quote:
It is a bit preachy at times

You have really now put me off going to see the movie. wink

Classic Science Fiction has never really needed CGI just a good old story line.

#191450 - 12/21/09 03:16 PM Re: Avatar [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Quote:
It is a bit preachy at times

You have really now put me off going to see the movie. wink

Classic Science Fiction has never really needed CGI just a good old story line.

And most of those story lines are a bit preachy. <g>
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#191470 - 12/21/09 05:48 PM Re: Avatar [Re: Doug_Ritter]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I went and saw the movie this weekend with my daughter as well, in 3-D. The new 3-D method is far superior to the old color phase system, and it is incredibly stimulating. I saw "The Christmas Carol" in 3-D a couple weeks ago and it seemed a bit overdone, so I would agree with Doug that this was well balanced for 3-D. That said, anyone with a fear of heights is going to have a difficult time watching this movie in 3-D.

Content-wise, it was pretty heavy with propaganda, and I felt a bit on the racist side as well, but that is to be expected. There is a long cast of Native American voices in the mix, and while I won't spoil the plot for anyone (in case you can't figure it out from the commercials and trailers by now), it was still an interesting enough story to keep my attention. Imagine Starship Troopers meets Fern Gully, if you can.

It is a long movie, and except for sucking down the super size soda at the beginning, I would've had no problem sitting through it all.

As with Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, this movie quite easily takes you into a new and exciting world, thanks entirely to the 3-D special effects. I don't imagine I will ever want to see another movie at the theater that isn't in 3-D now.

Now I know what Smurfs look like when they are all grown up...

It was also a bit different to watch a Sci-Fi alien movie with Sigourney Weaver in it where she didn't have the lead role.

I recommend seeing it.

#191476 - 12/21/09 06:50 PM Re: Avatar [Re: benjammin]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Imagine Starship Troopers meets Fern Gully

It sounds like Avatar doesn't have any of the dark comedy of the classic Starship Troopers then. Avatar may well be amazing visual spectacle, but does the storyline/script make Avatar seem overly sentimental and pompous? Having just watched the Avatar Trailer it just screams cliche, cliche, cliche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA7i9XoeOu4

but with GCI grown up Smurfs laugh

I'll now have to go and see the movie though, as it may just be worthwhile. wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/21/09 06:53 PM)

#191479 - 12/21/09 07:15 PM Re: Avatar [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

I'll now have to go and see the movie though, as it may just be worthwhile. wink

If it helps, there's even a little bit of wilderness survival improvisation in it. <g>
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#191488 - 12/21/09 08:44 PM Re: Avatar [Re: Doug_Ritter]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Hmmm...I saw it with my son, I give it 2.375 stars out of five. I had a lot of problems with the story, not that it was weak (it was), rather that is was a lot like one of those inane Tom Clancy films where everything comes together just so and "good" vanquishes "evil" in the last 20 minutes. I hate crap like that.

As far as the CG, yes, it's very, very well done, certainly the best CG ever done for a mass market - but I have seen much better stuff elsewhere.

The 3d didn't matter to me - I don't have much in the way of stereo vision.

#191491 - 12/21/09 09:15 PM Re: Avatar [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I enjoyed the film quite a bit. Having had one of my favorite hiking/camping spots recently paved over in the name of progress, I could easily get into and go along with the plot.

I can't wait to go see it in 3D.

This wasn't the Ewoks versus the Empire. lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.