Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#193287 - 01/12/10 03:52 AM My upgraded PSP pouch survival kit (no pics)
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I have finished building my PSK, I originally wanted to use a tin, but after dropping it from a 65 ft. drop, that quickly changed my mind. well here is the contents list!
1. PSP Pouch
2. Waterproof PSP Instructions
3. FOX 40 Micro
4. 10 Ft. Nylon Line
5. Mini Task Force L.E.D. (LOWE'S Brand)
6. Spark Lite
7. 5 Tinder Quik Tabs
8. 20 MM. Compass
9. #69 Nylon Thread
10. 6 Ft. S.S. wire
11. 3 Sq. Ft. Aluminum Foil (was 5 Sq. Ft.! What Happened DR?)
12. 2, 3" x .75" cloth band-aids
13. 2, 2" x .75" cloth band-aids
14. Foil-Pak Triple Antibiotic Ointment.
15. 1 Qt. Zip-lok Bag
16. 26" Duct Tape
17. Small Pencil (couldnt find space pen refill)
18. 8 KATADYN Micropur MP1 Tablets
19. 2 Sheets Rite In The Rain Paper
20. Fresnel Lens Magnifier
21. AMK Rescue Flash Signal Mirror 2" x 3"
22. PSP Contents List
23. 2" & 3" Flint Rods
24. (All In Plastic Vial) 5 Lifeboat Matches, 4 #8 Fish Hooks,
8 #6 Fish Hooks, 2 Small Split Shot, 3 Asst. Safety Pins, 2 Size 7 swivels, 1 Small Swivel (came with PSP.)

Is there anything I should add or take out? Thank You!

#193289 - 01/12/10 05:53 AM Re: My upgraded PSP pouch survival kit (no pics) [Re: sybert777]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
if you are going to take SS wire for snares i would add the little clip locks that will make a working snare.otherwise it looks like a good re-run of the other kits we see here..nice work,try for a photo when you can.

#193295 - 01/12/10 09:08 AM Re: My upgraded PSP pouch survival kit (no pics) [Re: CANOEDOGS]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
First and foremost: What do you plan to use for shelter???

Second: I see no knife or other cutting instrument???

You could perhaps add some more cordage, 10 feet is bare minimum. I assume your "nylon line" is more than strong enough and packs a bit smaller than the famous 550 lbs paracord (good stuff and I love it, but overkill). I'd ditch the fishing kit, the fresnel lens, the flint and add a bic lighter and sewing needle+thread. In fact, I'd ditch anything related to food procurement, but some of those items are so nice and handy for a lot of things that I'd want to keep them for that reason. Such as S.S. wire.

You can't fit everything into such a pouch anyway - it's just a handy container for some of the easily forgotten nescessities. Carry that PSK pouch in a small bag or backpack along with something for emergency shelter (bivy bag recommended, or at the very least some large trash bags and a space blanket), your knife, water bottle and extra clothes for the season and you're much better prepared than most.

Think about the need for boiling water or melting snow. That foil is close to useless for that purpose - replace with proper gear. You may choose to add a small metal cup (pot) or get a stainless steel water bottle.

But the really most important thing is the thought process YOU engage in right now! You compose your kit (and the totallity of stuff you bring, including your clothes, your daypack and the stuff in your pocket) based on YOUR local conditions! Sure, the PSK pouch is a nice-to-have collection of some easily forgotten items, but a PSK is no substitute for thinking.

Oh, and two snicker bars in that daypack of yours may just be what you need to get the brains working again when you hit the wall.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (01/12/10 09:11 AM)

#193301 - 01/12/10 12:53 PM Re: My upgraded PSP pouch survival kit (no pics) [Re: CANOEDOGS]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
if you are going to take SS wire for snares i would add the little clip locks that will make a working snare.otherwise it looks like a good re-run of the other kits we see here..nice work,try for a photo when you can.

Hi CanoeDogs, I Have A survival Wrap (mylar Space Blanket) i recieved from Pete. I have that on me at most times, except School! I have my PSP on me at school, Even the scalpel(forgot to list that too!), but i have it concealed.!! I also have a Large Sewing Needle I forgot to add to the list ( i was trying to look through the translucent side of the pouch!). are you talking about the swivel? i have the included one and have added 2 larger ones. I need to know what site to load Pics from, I have the pics, havent been able to load them yet!

#193313 - 01/12/10 03:58 PM Re: My upgraded PSP pouch survival kit (no pics) [Re: sybert777]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
777..i use photobucket and pull shots from there to post.have a look at a trapper supply site.there are small "locks" of a sort that keep the wire noose from coming loose by allowing it to move in just one direction.as the animal struggles it pulls tighter.
don't worry about getting the perfect kit on the first try.as you read this site and try things out you will work out what you really need as far as size and gear.

#193324 - 01/12/10 05:58 PM Re: My upgraded PSP pouch survival kit (no pics) [Re: ]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Some thoughts:

1) Consider moving the First Aid items into another separate pocket sized first aid kit.
2) I was going to say what MH said about shelter but I see from your later post you have that covered. Not sure how that bag works but you might consider a poncho or garbage bag to cover you from the top as well (I assume by bag you mean a bivy type bag).
3) Fire seems to be well covered.
4) Water seems to be well covered, although Izzy beat me to the oven bag recommendation. Don't forget a zip tie to go with that. The metal cup would also be a good idea if you move up to a larger kit, but is not really practical for your pocket sized kit. Check out this older thread http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=190456#Post190456 for an alternative for a pocket sized kit.
5) Signaling seems well covered, although you could throw in a large brightly colored bandana (that can serve a multitude of other uses as well). Make that garbage bag or poncho brightly colored as well.
6) Food procurement is covered but like MH said an immediate energy type food in your pocket or pack shouldn't be overlooked.
7) A knife would be a great idea even with the scalpel as a backup. Just don't break any school rules or local laws carrying it. A wire saw might be useful as well. Don't forget extra batteries for the flashlight.
8) The duct tape and sewing kit are good multipurpose and repair items. If you wear glasses like I do a glasses repair kit would make another good addition. A few extra safety pins wouldn't hurt either.
9) How about adding two personal protection and comfort items: sunscreen and insect repellant. I think you can get small sizes of these suitable for a small kit. Some may not consider these necessary for a small kit but a sunburn or nasty bug bite could make a survival scenario miserable, even life threatening (think dehydration and increased temp that comes with a sunburn).
10) You mention a compass; a map wouldn't hurt (even a small one just showing the general lay of the land).
11) Update the contents list or create a new one as you have obviously added some extra items already and may end up adding a few more as well.
12) Everything I have seen on the PSP has mentioned only 3 sq ft of aluminum foil. I don't think that has changed. Can anyone else verify that?

As I recall you are still of school age and you mention you carry this kit without the shelter item at school. I feel this forum would do you a great disservice if this was not also mentioned: don't violate school rules with respect to knives and other sharp objects, specifically the scalpel, no matter how ludicrous and insane those rules may seem. A pair of scissors or EMT shears may be almost as useful and not raise any eyebrows like a knife would. One of our other forum members does this due to anti-knife laws in her community. Dagny maybe? Anyway, just thought I should point that out. Hope this helps. laugh

#193382 - 01/13/10 12:57 PM Re: My upgraded PSP pouch survival kit (no pics) [Re: Mark_F]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

[quote=Mark_Frantom]Some thoughts:

1) Consider moving the First Aid items into another separate pocket sized first aid kit. I could put them in my wallet.
2) I was going to say what MH said about shelter but I see from your later post you have that covered. Not sure how that bag works but you might consider a poncho or garbage bag to cover you from the top as well (I assume by bag you mean a bivy type bag).
3) Fire seems to be well covered.
4) Water seems to be well covered, although Izzy beat me to the oven bag recommendation. Don't forget a zip tie to go with that. The metal cup would also be a good idea if you move up to a larger kit, but is not really practical for your pocket sized kit. Check out this older thread http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=190456#Post190456 for an alternative for a pocket sized kit. I have been thinking about adding a esbit emergency folding stove(the flat type) YES/NO?5) Signaling seems well covered, although you could throw in a large brightly colored bandana (that can serve a multitude of other uses as well). Make that garbage bag or poncho brightly colored as well.a bandana would work but the only one i have is black , only good for the snow on the ground now.6) Food procurement is covered but like MH said an immediate energy type food in your pocket or pack shouldn't be overlooked. Any thoughts on a good energy gum for a small kit?7) A knife would be a great idea even with the scalpel as a backup. Just don't break any school rules or local laws carrying it. A wire saw might be useful as well. Don't forget extra batteries for the flashlight.
8) The duct tape and sewing kit are good multipurpose and repair items. If you wear glasses like I do a glasses repair kit would make another good addition. A few extra safety pins wouldn't hurt either. I carry all on me and some duct tape in my wallet.
9) How about adding two personal protection and comfort items: sunscreen and insect repellant. I think you can get small sizes of these suitable for a small kit. Some may not consider these necessary for a small kit but a sunburn or nasty bug bite could make a survival scenario miserable, even life threatening (think dehydration and increased temp that comes with a sunburn). I could add an aloe vera anti sting wipe.10) You mention a compass; a map wouldn't hurt (even a small one just showing the general lay of the land).
AAA should have one right?
12) Everything I have seen on the PSP has mentioned only 3 sq ft of aluminum foil. I don't think that has changed. Can anyone else verify that?

As I recall you are still of school age and you mention you carry this kit without the shelter item at school. I feel this forum would do you a great disservice if this was not also mentioned: don't violate school rules with respect to knives and other sharp objects, specifically the scalpel, no matter how ludicrous and insane those rules may seem. A pair of scissors or EMT shears may be almost as useful and not raise any eyebrows like a knife would. One of our other forum members does this due to anti-knife laws in her community. Dagny maybe? Anyway, just thought I should point that out. Hope this helps. laugh

#193388 - 01/13/10 02:37 PM Re: My upgraded PSP pouch survival kit (no pics) [Re: sybert777]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

sybert777,

Let me clarify and comment.

1) The first aid items could be moved to your wallet, but my point was to have a second pocket sized first aid kit with additional items, something like the ultalight and watertight .3 or .5 from Adventure medical kits. You can google them, find them on ebay, possibly at your local sports/outdoors outfitter, or online here: http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/ . They also have a basic .5 kit available for a nice price but not in a waterproof pouch (Standard disclaimers here and for the rest of the post). You can always make your own expanded pocket sized first aid kit to suit your needs. If you don't want to do a seperate kit for EDC at least have one available for venturing in the outdoors.

4) Esbit stove may be a good idea, especially combined with the metal foil pouch for boiling small quantities of water.

5) You can pick up standard red bandanas at most local retailers for a buck or two (I get mine at Tractor Supply).

6) You will probably want something a little more substantial than energy gum. There was another thread on the subject of gum here:
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=191617&page=1

9) The wipe is a decent start, consider the sunscreen too as sunburns can be very debilitating. You can find small pouches or tubes of sunscreen, I even have one that clips to a belt loop. Some tea tree oil is a great multi-use item for stings and other things according to DR. A small vial of it could probably go a long way.

10) AAA may have some good maps. You can also google a particular area or park. I would suggest if possible to check with local resources such as a park ranger or park director. They may also be able to advise of any trouble areas that a map may not indicate (a map can't tell you if there is increased bear activity in a certain location, or if a mountain stream is too flooded to cross, after all).

#193440 - 01/13/10 10:11 PM Re: My upgraded PSP pouch survival kit (no pics) [Re: Mark_F]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. i seen red bandanas at walmart. I prefer a survival bandana for any others who dont have that great of survival knowledge. And to an above post, i have read the Army Survival Manual FM 21-76 the 1970 and 2007(i think.) versions. Googl'ing a map is a good idea! i am working on making a Survival Vest. Im getting a $50 vest for $10 from my friend! I might be able to fit a folded disposable quick bread pan in the pouch dont know! Extra batteries are expensive (to me) and it would actually be cheaper to get a new LED and scavenge batteries from that. any reccomendations for a container that will fit in a pouch if a quick bread pan wont? Thanks!

#193485 - 01/14/10 03:01 PM Re: My upgraded PSP pouch survival kit (no pics) [Re: sybert777]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Check out these foil bags from McMaster-Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#heat-treating-foil/=5deiyc

Check the thread about these here:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=190456#Post190456

They were originally intended for heat treating steel but as the thread demonstrates also make great improvised containers to boil water. Not very big, but suitable for a pocket sized kit. On bandanas I assume you mean the ones with survival info printed on them. I don't have a source for those, maybe someone else does. Google should bring plenty of options. As for the batteries you are right, and redundancy in gear never hurts. Even DR has a light in his kit and one on his keychain. He says no need to fool with changing batteries in that case, just click on the light and continue working. Also remember your pocket survival kit should not be your only gear. Just a backup in case you lose everything else.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 471 Guests and 198 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.