Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#193234 - 01/11/10 05:35 PM Recommend me some tires
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I need some new tires for my Toyota Tacoma pickup. Any recommendations for ones that would handle the occasional light off-road duty and mud though mostly paved roads?
Thanks.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#193239 - 01/11/10 05:51 PM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: Blast]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
No questions BFG AT.

Awesome on road characteristics, awesome in the snow and ice, and they are a good occasional off-road tire. They also wear very well on the road and are not loud.

I just put a set on my wifes jeep in 2008, a set on my F250 in 2009, and have had them on other street/snow/mild off-road vehicles in the past.

On my dedicated off-road jeep I run the BFG KM2 (but the non-DOT approved, "sticky" comp tires) they are awesome but SUCK in the snow, and ice due to the lack of small tiny grooves.)

Another good tire is the Goodyear MTR. I ran those on my old Jeep, and my brother ran them on his. Street driven, hard core trail usage, and snow.. they work great too, not as good in the rain but a great all around tire, and again you will get good mileage.

#193277 - 01/12/10 01:49 AM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: Todd W]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
If your looking for more economical tires Liberator AT. You can get them at wally world or i think sams.

I work at walmart, in the bays. The liberator is the best truck tires they sell. quiet on the road, grip good off. snow is a breeze, and ice actually is passable. (Personally i think no tires rock on ice unless they are studded)
rubber has good grip, without being too hard
big clean outs to clean the tread in mud/snow
good sipeing for traction in water/ice

sipe = little cuts in tread

I live in MO, and have 4 inches of snow on the ground now, I am currently running them and have no complaints.

50,000 mile tires, yet they last usually more like 60,000 if you maintain them (rotate/proper inflation)

Edited by EchoingLaugh (01/12/10 01:52 AM)
I have an extra.

#193279 - 01/12/10 02:52 AM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: Blast]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Blast,

I ended up learning a lot about different tire capabilities by looking at the charts on the tire racks website (no affiliation, just found it on the web).

Light truck tire comparisons

For reference I went with Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I get seriously off road rarely these days, but I do get to drive in lots of snow and ice during the winter

Hope that helps,

- Eric

#193282 - 01/12/10 03:19 AM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: Eric]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I bought winter tires for the first time ever, and every time I mentioned I got winter tires the first words out of everyone's mouths was "Did you get them through tirerack.com?". Apparently this site has been around for a while and a lot of people seem to like them. Oh, and for the pun "your mileage may vary". smile

#193285 - 01/12/10 03:36 AM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: ki4buc]
sodak Offline
Addict

I always go with the BFG AT ko's. This time I went with the 10 ply sidewall. Their traction in snow and ice is nothing short of amazing, I've put over 200K on them in this truck and my last truck (both Toyotas). I get over 50k miles out of them, and they do great off road up in the mountains of Colorado. And they aren't too loud for highway driving, either...

#193288 - 01/12/10 03:52 AM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: sodak]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I run 33"x12.5"x15" Mud Kings on my Jeep. I ride with guys running everything from BFG's to IROK's. I've yet to find anywhere they can go that I can't.

Previously I ran Super Swamper TSL's. I just wasn't really that impressed with them for the cost difference.

That said, when I start building a new rig soon and gathering parts, I'll be needing much bigger tires. So my current brand won't be an option. Not a whole lot of companies make a serious offroading tire in the 49" range.

#193294 - 01/12/10 08:33 AM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: 2005RedTJ]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Just my .02

I run Big O brand tires on my 2001 jeep. They are aggressive enough to get my through 4 and 5 feet of snow, pretty good on ice and quiet enough on the street that you dont have to shout to the person sitting next to ya.

The other reason is that they have a lifetime guarentee. If you stick a rock or branch through the side wall, they will replace the tire for you for free. I have used this warrentee (which is free) and it was flawless. I was in and out with a new tire. No hassles.

Name brand no, but good quality and so far so good.

YMMV

#193297 - 01/12/10 11:14 AM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: epirider]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like the BFG AT's, but they did affect my fuel economy, my truck can't get over 20mpg anymore with them

#193317 - 01/12/10 04:39 PM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: Eugene]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have Courser ATs on mine-I run 31's currently-any higher I get death wobble on my jeep. This is my second set. The first set went bald after about 30,000 miles. I mentioned this to the dealer, and he stated that the model I had picked up were actually discontinued due to the fact they wore out prematurely. He assured me the current model was a better tire. So, I bought a set. They are nothing special, but they are quiet, good in the snow, and great for light offroading. I have put about 20,000 miles on them so far, and they arent wearing NEAR as bad as the other ones were. I got them cheap-mounted & balanced for about $400. I cannot wholly recommend them, as I had a bad experience with the first set, and the second one is "adequate". But, I did want to throw them out there, in case you were looking at them. Me, I wouldnt recommend them, if you could afford better. But, if you are looking cheap, and will not be replacing tires or putting a lot of miles in the next few years, they may work for you.

eprider, I am going to look into the Big O Brand-did you find them online, or through a dealer?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.