Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#193666 - 01/16/10 03:25 PM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: EchoingLaugh]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: EchoingLaugh

Edit: if noise is not an issue, and you need good mud traction look into mickey thompson and super swampers. Mickeys do better on the road, but swampers are kinda the go to brand for mud traction

My guess is a mud tires is probably a bit more serious than Blast is considering -- as a class they tend to be noisy, ride harshly, wear fast (if using soft compound) and uneven -- but, if you can stomach it, the Interco (Super Swamper) SSR is road friendly, and my understanding has a super soft compound which makes them good in the wet. I've never seen a bad review of this tire.

-john

Edited by JohnN (01/16/10 03:27 PM)

#193675 - 01/16/10 05:28 PM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: JohnN]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey John,
Thanks for the info on the Revo 2's I have been interested in these tires, who are they on ice?

For 5 years I have been using BFG A/T KO's on my 4x4 Toyota Tundra. I have found them to be good snow/mud tires but like skates on ice.

I have Nokian Vativva All Purpose (not like all-season) tires on my work truck. The rubber is softer making them a much better ice tire but I tend to get flats on freshly graded gravel roads.

Mike

#193676 - 01/16/10 05:29 PM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: JohnN]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I`m going to have to possibly try the REVO2 next when my BFG AT wear out.

With the jeep I tried a few times to slide it around the corners to check traction and it's amazing, I can't get them to break loose! With my F250 I can, due to no weight in the back but it's VERY HARD, much harder than I would ever drive either vehicle around a turn in traffic/city. That = good for me smile The same is true for snow, and ice, their performance is amazing.

If the REVO2 is better then awesome.

I used to have the Pole Position on my old cars, they were nice back in the day!

#193680 - 01/16/10 06:13 PM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: SwampDonkey]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Hey John,
Thanks for the info on the Revo 2's I have been interested in these tires, who are they on ice?

My feeling is they do extremely well in slippery conditions, but they are still an AT tire. A dedicated winter ice tire is going to be infinitely better.

But, the way I approach it is when it gets REAL bad out, chain up all four.

-john

#193692 - 01/16/10 09:26 PM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: JohnN]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

Try TireRack.com. They have a large selection and many reviews that are very handy. Prices are good too.

#193700 - 01/17/10 12:13 AM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: RobertRogers]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: RobertRogers
Try TireRack.com. They have a large selection and many reviews that are very handy. Prices are good too.

I have had several good experiences with tirerack.com. I have no affiliation with them other than as a customer.

#193715 - 01/17/10 06:45 AM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: chaosmagnet]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

I go to America's Tire and have them match tire rack price + I pay $25/tire to install/mount/balance. Depending who you get they may charge you "shipping" too which is normally $80 or so. Still way better than full retail.

#193722 - 01/17/10 02:31 PM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: epirider]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: epirider
Just my .02

I run Big O brand tires on my 2001 jeep. They are aggressive enough to get my through 4 and 5 feet of snow, pretty good on ice and quiet enough on the street that you dont have to shout to the person sitting next to ya.

The other reason is that they have a lifetime guarentee. If you stick a rock or branch through the side wall, they will replace the tire for you for free. I have used this warrentee (which is free) and it was flawless. I was in and out with a new tire. No hassles.

Name brand no, but good quality and so far so good.

YMMV

Another advantage to Big O is they are a national chain that operates under various names in differing areas. In Texas they are Discount Tire. I know Blast has seen a Discount Tire, there are several just off I45 in the areas from Conroe to south of Gunspoint (woops, sorry, Greenspoint) mall.

RIP OBG

#193732 - 01/17/10 04:28 PM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: Desperado]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

I use Discount Tire exclusively. They typically will match Tirerack (minus shipping) as well. The other thing is they will order *from* Tirerack and can order pretty much anything you want.

-john

#193743 - 01/17/10 07:41 PM Re: Recommend me some tires [Re: JohnN]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

TireRack has a wholesale program too, find someone who is in with them and it's normally 5-25/tire cheaper than their web posted price too. I got America's Tire to honor their wholesale price too.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.