Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#192953 - 01/08/10 02:04 AM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW [Re: philip]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I knew Pete Moss (really!). He wouldn't take a woman out to dinner unless he had tickets to free meals, and he thought my van and my sister's pickup "weren't very feminine".

NEXT!

Sue

#192954 - 01/08/10 02:11 AM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW [Re: acropolis5]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Clay-type cat litter weighs a lot more than pellets or sawdust. Dry, it's heavy; wet, it's a lot heavier. Pellets and sawdust not only work better, but they're lighter and far cheaper, and they will compost. Clay litter practically lasts forever, archeologically speaking.

Sue

#192962 - 01/08/10 02:57 AM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW [Re: philip]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: philip

Immediately she said,

"Pete Moss to the garden supply department, please. Pete Moss to garden supplies."

(This was back when men were men and women were girls; please excuse the salesperson and me for quoting him.)

Clearly a waste of talent. I hope they had the good sense to promote her immediately. (Uh-huh, I'm sure it worked out that way.)

#193195 - 01/10/10 11:12 PM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW [Re: dougwalkabout]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I saw one reference to using lime, you can also use lye or woodash to mitigate the smell as well as make some attempt to disinfect fecal material. One of the big dangers of longterm failure of a sewage system is the inevitable outbreaks of dysentery and cholera.
For the unitiated, those are more graphically known as terminal diarrhea. It comes from contact with infected fecal material.
I think as soon as practicable, one should consider relocation to a less densely populated area. Humans are terrible disease vectors, especially after an infrastructure breakdown that would limit or eliminate any manner of sanitation as well as reliable drug therapies.
Folks with TB who haven't taken their entire antibiotic regime as well as other folks with untreated infectious diseases, are going to be distributing their infected sputum, feces, and other bodily fluids indescriminately. If you don't have sewer, chances are the water supply is suspect if at all operational. Time to get out of dodge unless you are completely self-contained and quarantined from outside contact.
These are always public health concerns in areas disrupted by war, natural disasters and other infrastructure breakdowns.

#193202 - 01/11/10 12:37 AM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW [Re: Tarzan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"I think as soon as practicable, one should consider relocation to a less densely populated area."

If you thought of it, so will a million others, so you would just be taking the problems with you, but you'd have less 'stuff' with which to deal with it.

Compost it, and tell your neighbors how to compost it. Weeds, leaves, kitchen waste -- put it to good use.

Sue

#193208 - 01/11/10 02:00 AM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW [Re: Susan]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
Susan, I concur.
Once survival in a geographic area becomes untenable, it may be wise to relocate. The trick is to have somewhere to relocate to beforehand and have it adequately stocked with items necessary to sustain life.
It is never prudent to be a refugee. They tend to drop like flies in any adverse conditions. Placing your future and safety in the hands of others and counting on the goodwill of strangers is an unwise act.

#197822 - 03/12/10 06:18 AM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW ? [Re: Susan]
RichStillinWyo Offline
Stranger

We have a bedside commode that we can put a 5 gal bucket under. When it is 'time' to empty it there is a spot in the garden to make a deposit under ground and it will compost.

#197823 - 03/12/10 06:32 AM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW [Re: jshannon]
RichStillinWyo Offline
Stranger

Actually it comes under public health and epa laws.

Rich

Originally Posted By: jshannon
The garbage can sounds easier. Doubtful that it is illegal since God only knows how many loaded baby diapers are put into garbage cans per day.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.