Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#193171 - 01/10/10 06:34 PM Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Bear gives himself an enema, referencing the Robinsons' use of the tactic during their ordeal. I didn't go pull my copy of their book off the shelf to check but IIRC they used the technique with good water that had been slightly fouled with salt, not rancid water from the bottom of their lifeboat.

Comments?

#193175 - 01/10/10 07:41 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
That's a mental image I didn't need.

But you are correct Glock, it was brackish water that the mother used. BTW, she was a trained nurse.

#193179 - 01/10/10 08:50 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Pete Offline
Veteran

He's losing it out there on the ocean. Somebody needs to remind him that sometimes it's just better to die in the lifeboat. Learn to go gracefully Bear!!! :-)

The thing I like about Bear is his positive mental attitude. Maybe we're only seeing the positive comments that they record during filming of the TV series. But it seems like it is his psychology to stay "up" ... so he's a great example of remaining optimistic when in a tough situation.

I have to admire his spirit - because he broke his back in three places during a parachute accident. There must be some mornings when he gets out of bed and his body really hurts. He really keeps a good attitude about life if you think about it.

other Pete

#193184 - 01/10/10 09:26 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I'm not saying Bear is out in left field on this, because the rectal delivery of fluids (proctoclysis) is a valid technique that while "icky" (which I believe is the technical term!) can be quite the lifesaver if its all you have left to you. However from my research it is most useful for people who are sick/nauseated and can't drink, or for people who need fluid resuscitation but there are no IV supplies or medical expertise.

Case in point, check out this story of a Nepali man suffering from shock in a remote mountain environment. The doctors had no IV fluids to administer, so they turned to proctoclysis and in their words "we believe it is unlikely that he would have survived without this intervention". It took their medical expertise, though, to know that the guy even needed resuscitation.

Of course there is the question of what will and won't pass through the intestinal tissue. From my reading, salt does pass this barrier (per the excellent book "Essentials of Sea Survival") . So while a fluid that is mildly stronger than normal saline will probably be OK (i.e. the Robertson's slightly tainted rainwater), you can't just shoot seawater through there and expect to be fine.

#193185 - 01/10/10 09:50 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
I was actually watching that clown up until he said "I'm gonna give myself an enema", then I changed the channel.

#193188 - 01/10/10 09:55 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: DannyL]
Branmac Offline
Stranger

While this is an accepted medical practice, you should be very carefull how much salt is in the water you are using. The wall of the large intestine passes water easyly, that is its main function; BUT if the salt level in the water you use is higher than the salt level in your blood you end up loosing water due to the difference in osmotic pressure.

Water always moves towards the greater concentration of salt in this sort of thing.

#193191 - 01/10/10 10:25 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: Pete]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

In some situations an enema may be the only effective way to maintain minimum hydration and get nutrients or drugs into the system. People have at times been so seasick that they weaken simply from lack of food and water. An enema of weak oatmeal gruel can get them the calories and water necessary to keep them alive. Likewise many pills can be ground up, mixed with water and administered as an enema.

Extreme nausea is the most common reason for seeking out other ways but esophageal swelling or burns, and the chance they might choke on what you try to feed them, can be reason enough.

It isn't the most convenient, or pleasant way of serving, or receiving, a meal but it works and should be kept in mind when considering options.

#193196 - 01/10/10 11:51 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Thinking about the point that Bear is trying to make ... I think you'd have to use a fair amount of caution if trying to do an enema with contaminated water. I could see using the enema as a last-ditch approach (esp. with water and electrolytes) - just as they did in Nepal. That makes sense. However, I'm not sure that introducing contaminated water into the lower intestines wouldn't add a risk of bowel infection or some type of bowel upset. You could be trading a standard stomach upset (if drinking contaminated water) against a bowel upset (if using an enema). I suppose it all depends on how contaminated the water is - and with what.

other Pete

#193197 - 01/10/10 11:57 PM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Personally, I would prefer not to let myself get in the condition that would require this treatment, if at all possible.

It reminds me of an incident mentioned in one of the diaries kept by women traveling west in the gold rush days (1849-1852), where the author mentioned a woman who was traveling with a group of men. She came down with cholera (terrible diarrhea) and to prevent the embarrassment of having to have the men take care of her, she committed suicide. What a choice to have to make!

Sue

#193204 - 01/11/10 01:11 AM Re: Bear Grylls: Man vs. Enema [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
It reminds me of an incident mentioned in one of the diaries kept by women traveling west in the gold rush days (1849-1852), where the author mentioned a woman who was traveling with a group of men. She came down with cholera (terrible diarrhea) and to prevent the embarrassment of having to have the men take care of her, she committed suicide. What a choice to have to make!
Sue

It is important to keep the priorities straight and not allow embarrassment or unnecessary social norms stop you from doing what you need to do. It is also important to maintain the best of humanity.

That said ... you can always avoid any embarrassment by eating the witnesses. What happens in the wilderness, stays in the wilderness.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.