Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#192818 - 01/07/10 04:16 AM What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ?
ChicagoCraig Offline

Scenario: Snowmobiling for 4 days in very cold weather -20f with wind chills from 40 to 60 mph wind. Distance will be about 90 miles per day from small town to small town. Desolate area between towns with occasional riders on the trails. Gear capacity is limited to large back pack with half of the space allocated for thermal underwear changes and minimal toiletries. Party size is two men.

My kit so far:
PLB and Sat phone w/ 3 batteries.
Current paper trial map and compass.
GPS with trail map
MSR Dragon fly stove and small fuel bottle.
Minimal utensils (cooking pan/pot).
About three meals of mountain house-type pack food.
Windproof matches
Regular matches
flint steel, dryer lint, magnesium chips, permalog type emergency tinder balls..
Pocket knife
Aircraft duct tape and foil tape
small foldable shovel
15' tow strap
signal laser (red)

What items can you think of that I am missing?

Any items in my list I should omit?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

#192820 - 01/07/10 04:24 AM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
You might want to carry some trioxane or esbit tabs, im only 15 so i have never been in a really bad situation, (lost over cold night while morel hunting) <-WOO, no big deal, but fi you cant start a fire with wet wood ( melted snow) i reccomend them because they arent bulky or heavy. pretty well equipped though! good kit!

#192821 - 01/07/10 05:32 AM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
First Aid Kit appropriate for conditions.

Rather than food that must be heated and soaked, I would pack things like peperoni and cheese that can be either heated or eaten as is - take plenty of calories for cold weather. I think I would make that a large fuel bottle. Melting snow takes a lot of gas.

You will need to stay hydrated in cold weather. At least a canteen, but even better would be a thermos of at least a quart capacity with a wide mouth.

Worst case scenario - you need some sort of shelter and probably a sleeping bag, although I understand snowmobile suits are really warm. Just be sure you can spend the night out if you have to.

What about tools and repair kit? I would definitely carry a multi tool rather than merely a pocket knife. Maybe it's just me, but I would include at least 60 feet of nylon rope (you always need a bit of rope) - versatile item that can do a lot.

How large is your large back pack? - capacity in cubic inches.

For a four day trip, I would plan on wearing one set of thermals, with another pair reserved for emergencies. This would free up space. Toiletries would definitely be minimal - skin oils provide some protection from the cold.

I have never snow mobiled, but I am surprised you don't have more capacity. You are not carrying any more than a touring skier, who would also carry a large back pack.

Sounds like an interesting trip. Have fun!

#192822 - 01/07/10 06:17 AM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: hikermor]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
looks like Hike gave the right advice.more fuel for the stove and some real high energy foods..i assume you have a repair kit and spare gas.with other riders around and that phone you would be at worse inconvenienced if anything went wrong and not looking at a survival situation.i would keep a eye on the weather,just cold is no big deal with modern snowmobile suits but a heavy snow storm could slow you down to the point of not making the next town for the nite..if you get a chance stop someplace at the end of the trip and try and make a fire with the kit you have along to see how it works out in "real life"..photos would be great--

#192823 - 01/07/10 06:38 AM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hi, Craig. Sounds like a great trip. A few thoughts:

More calories, definitely. Even a big jar of peanut butter.

Tarp and light rope for quick windbreaks or the roof of a shelter? (A colour that is highly visible on snow would add signalling capability.)

Insulating pad between you and the cold, cold ground?

Folding saw for firewood?

Siphon tube for getting gas from your sled? (I assume you have oil injection; not sure if the MSR will run well on pre-mix.)

Signalling gear -- maybe add a signal mirror and a super-loud noismaker (like one of those hand-held air horns); maybe some flagging tape also?

Flashlight/headlamp?

Toilet paper?

Finally, is this kit duplicated for each snowmobiler? Maybe split up the PLB and the SatPhone between the two of you?

Have fun!

#192824 - 01/07/10 06:40 AM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Hmmmm. Not sure I am clear.

Is this list just your kit to be used only in emergencies, and not part of what you intend to use along the way?

Are you carrying other things to address the ongoing regular need for water, shelter, fire, food, first aid, navigation, signaling, hygiene, and morale?

To me, minus 20 plus wind chill from 40 plus mile an hour winds is pretty serious stuff to contend with for 4 days. Will you have re-supply and shelter options in the towns you visit?

Am I correct in reading the scenario that you expect to travel less than 3 hours per day? Are you going to camp out nights?

#192825 - 01/07/10 07:17 AM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: dweste]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Bivi bag and tarp or similar
FAK
decent knife (can you carry a fixed blade?) plus a saw and a multitool
Whistle
Something you dont need to cook to eat

None of this needs to be too bulky - and while you can survive without it, any fool can be uncomfortable

#192832 - 01/07/10 01:27 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Even with your ability to signal your position in an emergency, SAR might not have the ability for a quick rescue in temperatures approaching -30C (wind chill @ 50mph will approach temperatures around -60C ). These are very very cold temperatures approaching Antarctic expedition temperatures so you will need a sleeping bag and mat used from the expedition kit lists used in the Antarctic.

Here is a typical Antarctic sleeping bag. Expensive yes but so are missing a few toes and fingers.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=66

An Exped Downmat 9 Deluxe is also an excellent choice for a ground mat

http://www.rei.com/product/780366

A Goretex Bivi bag would also be extremely useful even though the sleeping bag above has Drishell outer fabric. A Vacuum Flask is a must in very low temperatures for keeping water in a liquid state, which is essential in such dry and arid conditions.

BTW there isn't that many calories in Mountain House freeze dried packs. I would just take along lots of chocolate. As you can see from the quantities in the British Antarctic Survey BAS ration pack

http://www.photo.antarctica.ac.uk/external/guest/detail/cart/10003853/1/8

Lots of Cadbury's Milk Chocolate are shown in the BAS ration packs

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/07/10 01:43 PM)

#192835 - 01/07/10 01:54 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: bigreddog]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Hikermor: first aid kit – One of the riders is a RN and he is putting together a first aid kit so that area will be covered. My pack capacity is about 50L and the other rider’s pack will be about the same.

Canoedogs: We will have a NOAA radio and typically we will get a weather report and advice from the lodge before starting a new leg of trip.

Dougwalkabout: The modern toys won’t be duplicated (most everything else will). The satphone and plb will be split.

Dweste: Just an emergency kit. We are staying in lodges along each leg of the trip and also stop off somewhere for lunch. Average outdoor time will be about four hours before coming in for lunch, stopping for gas, warming up, lodging etc. Definitely not camping out – we want to avoid that.

My revised list from the received feedback.

LB and Sat phone w/ 3 batteries (split between riders)
Current paper trail map and compass.
GPS with trail map
MSR Dragon fly stove and small largest msr fuel bottle.
Minimal utensils (cooking pan/pot).
About three meals of mountain house-type pack food.
Windproof matches
Regular matches
flint, steel, dryer lint, magnesium chips, permalog type emergency tinder balls..
Pocket knife
Aircraft duct tape and foil tape
small foldable shovel
15' tow strap
signal laser (red)
-------------------------
Water bottle
Multi-tool
60ft nylon rope
energy bars, peanut butter, jerky and cheese
LED flashlight and headlamp.
toilet paper
tarp for wind break, roof shelter.
whistle
10 ft tubing for siphoning gas.

#192840 - 01/07/10 02:39 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: NightHiker]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That kind of cold? I'd add a four season tent, winter weight sleeping bag, double sleeping pad - Tied on the seat behind you. ( rent what you don't own - REI or a local college outdoor desk.)

No chemical heat packs? I'd carry at least a half a dozen.

TRO

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.