Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#192978 - 01/08/10 12:16 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: LED]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Watching that guy dart around made me think of Ace Ventura after he snuck out of the bathroom window. The only thing missing was that A-man wasn't humming his own theme music.

#192983 - 01/08/10 01:41 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: 7point82]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I haven't been able to see the History Channel show Apocalypse Man. Is there a link to watch it on the Internet?

Is History Channel Apocalypse Man based on the UK version from the 1980s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u_3kKgkmF0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BW5utPpHAc

#192985 - 01/08/10 01:52 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Susan
+1 on the splatting.

Don't all buildings that have elevator shafts have stairs? Wouldn't it be less dangerous just to walk down?

Libraries don't have card catalogs anymore.

The sewer system is where the zombies live. Not good.

I'm not going to carry around no stinkin' 50-lb car battery.

Hospitals are full of germs. Cross them with the dust bunnies and you've got something seriously vicious.

It would be better to find a library with an REI next door or across the street.

Loneliness... what are the odds that you find someone you can even stand? It would make more sense to protect the friends you've got now.

If you have to manufacture power to make a radio broadcast, how will people without power hear it?

If there are no people around, there must be some cars with gas in them. If you can hotwire a car, what's the problem?

Food: find an LDS church and look around until you find a list of members, then get a map and track down where they live. Should be tons of food.

Don't forget the dog food and treats.

Sue

Good evidence supporting the know your AO. For example I moved to the north side of the city and didn't know where any libraries were so I'd be hunting for them. Best to scout them out first.
Our city made a bicyling map, it lists features like libraries that normal street maps may not, picked it up at the library, somehting to get and put in the bug in gear.

#192994 - 01/08/10 03:39 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Eugene]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I'm not a big believer in post-apocalyptic planning or scenarios, and haven't seen the show, but wanted to point out one thing about generators: in the Pacific Northwest, nearly every gas station houses a pretty nice generator, used to pump gas after wind storms have knocked out electric power to run their pumps. You can actually track this by the very nice EPA (state or federal, I forget) website that lists locations they need a permit to host the generator on a commercial site for some reason I can't remember. No need really to map them though, so many gas vendors lost so much money after a storm a couple years ago that nearly every station has been upgraded since. For those more confident that we won't all descend to the post-apocalyptic scenario of hunter scavengers, generators connected to pumps preserve the availability of gas and diesel for the several days until new supplies can begin to roll into an area. It's a good example of a fairly inexpensive response to an irregular but real problem that typically comes from a natural disaster.

So why venture into a hospital, those generators are generally enormous and bolted down pretty good. A perfectly serviceable generator is probably down the street at your local gas station, and if you are a scavenger-thief in the after-world, you have even odds of being able to detach it, remove and take it somewhere else. And not that I advocate theft in any scenario, but post-apocalypse most of these generators are sitting on commercial properties that will have long been abandoned by any corporate presence - you would not be stealing a generator from some poor neighbor's backyard, used to keep his kids warm. Cuts down on the hero factor.

Your area of the country may vary.

#192995 - 01/08/10 03:41 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Eugene]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I really loved the theory about sewers, in that as there are less people (read that no people) using them, they will be cleaner. Yeah, the rats and cockroaches will immediately move out smartly as there is no ready supply of poopywater.

Let's see here - less people = more bodies lying about (recall the one on the lawn?). Rats eat the dead bodies, and possibly spread the unnamed plague thru contact with foodstuffs, ratbites, fleas, rat droppings, who knows? So yeah, I am going down into the sewer.

On another note, if I was avoiding people, why would I be broadcasting to find them?

And why wasn't our guy carrying a weapon? Did gunpowder suddenly take a turn south? All the dead people = more guns and ammo lying about. Break into a gunsafe if you have to, who is there to complain?

Personally, I am finding an National Guard armory. Weapons, food (if you can count MREs) and equipment.

#192997 - 01/08/10 04:02 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: JBMat]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Hummmm,

Sewers. This fellow did not mention the noxious / hazardous gasses in confined spaces. Best to let a "Friend" go first. If they pass out, don't go in your self, pull them out with the rope you tied around them. Wait, you did think about getting the body back, right?

Elevator Cables. Ever seen an elevator cable? They are covered in grease. Good luck holding on to that and descending safely.

RIP OBG

#192998 - 01/08/10 04:08 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Desperado]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Sewers. This fellow did not mention the noxious / hazardous gasses in confined spaces.

Well, he did mention that bit about how a few rain storms would clear out the sewage (assuming the storm drains connect to the sewer system). So, without sewage, gases like H2S persumably wouldn't be a problem (at least according to the show's logic), although I think it would've been smart for them to mention toxic gasses, just in case any viewers get any "bright ideas" about exploring their local sewer system in the near future.

#193068 - 01/09/10 02:32 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Desperado]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Elevator Cables. Ever seen an elevator cable? They are covered in grease. Good luck holding on to that and descending safely."

If you want to descend to ground level safely, you take the stairs. If you want to descend really fast, you slide down the greasy elevator cable! (That's where the SPLAT! comes in...)

Sue

#193111 - 01/09/10 08:09 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Susan]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: Susan

Food: find an LDS church and look around until you find a list of members, then get a map and track down where they live. Should be tons of food.

I had to laugh out loud with this. Makes perfect sense and I wouldn't have even thought about it. Going to have to ask on Facebook. "Any friends in the area Mormon? I'd like to do some canning...". Figure if they prepare for a year, they must have some ideas about getting out of town.

BTW, somewhere in the history of these forums is a link to a LDS preparedness manual. Has all kinds of information on what food to have and how to store it.

#193117 - 01/09/10 09:26 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: ki4buc]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I understand that nowadays not all Mormons follow the injunction to store a year's worth of food and critical supplies. They are still way ahead of the pack.

Years ago I worked for a Mormon couple in a fairly isolated location. Storing quantities of food makes an awful lot of sense in that situation, and it is worthwhile anywhere.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.