Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#192814 - 01/07/10 03:44 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: ki4buc]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: ki4buc
Dagny,

FYI, it was filmed on location in Detroit, MI. http://www.michiganfilmoffice.org/Made-in-Michigan/Coming-Soon/Default.aspx

You probably noticed there wasn't much need for a props person or a set dresser. frown

Very sad about Detroit. There's some Detroit in every city.

I'll watch The Road someday in part out of curiosity over the real-life settings that film used to depict armageddon.

#192815 - 01/07/10 03:51 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: ki4buc]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Why risk killing yourself jumping across voids? Me, I personally enjoy the thought of lying at the bottom of an elevator shaft enjoying a slow painful death!

LOL!

I didn't set out to get snarky on the show but I had to laugh at the drawbridge solution and elevator shaft for exactly the reasons you cite: the folly in a World Without Doctors to take those kinds of risks of incurring serious injury.

It was interesting if only to see what skills the producer thought you'd need if you were One of the Last People on Earth.

[note to self: in the event you are One of the Last People on Earth and have to sleep by yourself in creepy rat-infested buildings, pack cyanide]

#192816 - 01/07/10 03:54 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: ki4buc]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Dagny

Hmmm. Interesting. Never did see him use the steel wool. I might have left the room for that. Well, I now know how to approximate biodiesel.

No mention I don't believe of where the precious water or wet cardboard came from.

Must've scooped up the water when he was swinging across the river.

Probably pulled the cardboard out of a recycling bin uptown.

#192826 - 01/07/10 08:24 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: ki4buc]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
If Discovery Channel/BBC didn't already own "Man vs. Wild", they could have appropriately labeled this "Man vs. Wild: Apocalyptic Edition".

My thoughts exactly. Just a few minutes into the show and he's already launching himself through the air, high over that river, to climb onto that raised drawbridge and I was thinking, "He just did a Bear!" You could tell what kind of show it was going to be right there.

And did anyone else notice that he let his precious can of sterno burn next to him while he wistfully recounted his "POW training"? Maybe, like a campfire, that little blue flame is supposed to keep up his morale? wink

Some amusing tidbits of information here and there throughout the show. Like, if I want to get a good night's sleep and not worry about looters kicking in the front door, I'll be sure to set up camp in the nearest library. Thanks, Rudy! smile

#192831 - 01/07/10 01:23 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Arney]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I found it Bear-y amusing.

So, where do all the people go in these shows? Frankly, I don't see survival in a depopulated city as that much of a challenge. I see stressed out and desperate people as the biggest post-apocalypse danger to a lone person on the move.

How does a hospital-sized genny run for hours and hours on one gallon of diesel? Does he know just how dangerously unhealthy an abandoned hospital can be? That's the last place I'd want to go.

I've actually been in looted and abandoned hospitals, stores and private homes, post-disaster. Usually, only the obvious is gone, and lots of useful stuff is left behind for the imaginative and resourceful survivalist, especially in the stores, but not so much in homes. Why do these shows encourage looting of private homes in a resource-rich urban/suburban environment, anyway? That seems like the best way to get into a confrontation.

Edited by Jeff_M (01/07/10 01:24 PM)

#192834 - 01/07/10 01:44 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Jeff_M]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think this show demonstrates the need for commercial TV to emphasize the dramatic, eye candy stuff over more thoughtful presentations. Where's the glory in just walking down the stairs or through the woods?

I missed part of Apocalypse Man because I was watching a very thoughtful program on my local PBS station. PBS will tend to provide more substance than drama, such as a recent program on earthquake preparedness that was quite decent.

#192864 - 01/07/10 04:24 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: hikermor]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
"Apocalypse Man: Giving your survival secrets away to the clueless masses"

I like these shows because they have the potential for the public to have a wake up call and start preparing. The other side is with most people in most situations, they will only learn as little as they need to know to get something done, and not fully understand the entire situation. I'm everyone of us has an example of something like that during our working career. Not to say I haven't done the same thing, but I can see people going "Library == Sewer Map". They won't stop to think. "Oh wait, since the city cannot protect the distributed sewer system from terrorists, all of the maps have been removed from public inspection. Let's go over to the water department instead".

I did learn one thing: If I want real survival supplies I need to stake out footpaths and railroad lines. These are where the "educated" people will go, not freeways.

#192949 - 01/08/10 01:38 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
+1 on the splatting.

Don't all buildings that have elevator shafts have stairs? Wouldn't it be less dangerous just to walk down?

Libraries don't have card catalogs anymore.

The sewer system is where the zombies live. Not good.

I'm not going to carry around no stinkin' 50-lb car battery.

Hospitals are full of germs. Cross them with the dust bunnies and you've got something seriously vicious.

It would be better to find a library with an REI next door or across the street.

Loneliness... what are the odds that you find someone you can even stand? It would make more sense to protect the friends you've got now.

If you have to manufacture power to make a radio broadcast, how will people without power hear it?

If there are no people around, there must be some cars with gas in them. If you can hotwire a car, what's the problem?

Food: find an LDS church and look around until you find a list of members, then get a map and track down where they live. Should be tons of food.

Don't forget the dog food and treats.

Sue

#192956 - 01/08/10 02:17 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Susan]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Lol, Susan!

Apparently I have to teach Gidget to rope climb drawbridges.

:-)

#192965 - 01/08/10 05:50 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Dagny]
LED Offline
Veteran

If he had time to put on his tacticool black outfit (with matching tactical gloves) why didn't he have time to pick out a smaller, lighter flashlight and maybe a couple of bottles of water? Here's what I got from the show. If you really wanna look suspicious in an urban area during the day, wear all black and walk around in a crouched position like you're being chased by someone. Oh, and do some parkour while you're at it.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 294 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.