Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#193018 - 01/08/10 06:58 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: Tyber]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

What about a couple of road flares? For fire lighting, it beats fiddling with matches with freezing fingers. You can used them gloved, and while it won't substitute for proper fire prep it can give you a bigger margin for error if you get stuck overnight in between lodges.

#193024 - 01/08/10 07:21 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: Mark_M]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
1. Scarf. Maybe this is obvious to you but it wasn't to me. I considered it a luxury item not worth of space in my kit. I quickly discovered my error as I tried to move around in gusty, 11*F winds with my parka partially open to avoid overheating.

I use a Lifeventure Silk Sleeping bag liner as a scarf in very cold conditions

http://www.lifeventure.co.uk/htm/sleepgear/silk-travel-sleepers.html

It makes for a very warm improvised scarf, which actually packs down more than a conventional scarf. It can also double up as a insulating chest protector is cold windy conditions.

A Mosquito head net can also be a useful item in Arctic Survival kits as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM2KcirdNk8

I would also include a chapstick (not kept in the FAK, but in a easy to reach pocket)

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/08/10 07:28 PM)

#193028 - 01/08/10 07:45 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: Mark_M]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
"1. Scarf. Maybe this is obvious to you but it wasn't to me. I considered it a luxury item not worth of space in my kit. I quickly discovered my error as I tried to move around in gusty, 11*F winds with my parka partially open to avoid overheating."

Yes, I'm always amazed at how much warmer I feel when my neck/chin are protected from the cold.

I've taken to wearing a neck gaiter (merino wool) instead of a scarf - more effective IME and less bulky. Being a Buff fan I tried theirs first, but found it thin and itchy. I much prefer the Icebreaker version.

[No affiliation with either outfit ... ]

#193032 - 01/08/10 08:07 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: NightHiker]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: NightHiker

I've used powdered drink mix for snow dye before I've just never mixed colors. You're right about the wind effecting the powder but that's only when your applying it once it hits the snow it fixes. I've used it as a trail marker when getting boy scouts to the campsite in areas with lots of snow trails. I usually mix it with water and apply it with a spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle.

During training sessions I've used straight dry powder and poured it directly on the snow. If its windy you just have to hold the oppening of your container close to the surface, you lose some but it still gets the job done.

I'll definitely start another thread on the subject shortly.

Clarification; I was talking about mixing the powder with water to make a liquid to pour on the snow versus putting the powder itself directly on the snow. I did not mean to mix colors. Seems like you answered my question anyway so no harm done. Anxiously awaiting the new thread. Improvised snow dye? or ... ???? i'd beat you to the punch but that would be mean and rotten of me. laugh

#193033 - 01/08/10 08:09 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: Mark_F]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My preference is to mix the powder with water, drink, and then color the snow.......

#193037 - 01/08/10 08:29 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: hikermor]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Updated List:

PLB and Sat phone w/ 3 batteries (split between riders)
Current paper trail map and compass.
GPS with trail map
MSR Dragon fly stove and small largest msr fuel bottle.
Minimal utensils (cooking pan/pot).
About three meals of mountain house-type pack food.
Windproof matches
Regular matches
flint, steel, dryer lint, magnesium chips, permalog type emergency tinder balls..
Pocket knife
Aircraft duct tape and foil tape
small foldable shovel
15' tow strap
signal laser (red)
-------------------------
Water bottle
Multi-tool
60ft nylon rope
energy bars, peanut butter, jerky and cheese
LED flashlight and headlamp.
toilet paper
tarp for wind break, roof shelter.
whistle
10 ft tubing for siphoning gas.
-------------------------
Hotronics M4 foot warmers (these are wicked awesome - forgot to mention these previously).
Chemical heat packs
pfak
folding saw
folding shovel
vaccuum flask for water.
Tang/Jello mix (warming drink or snow marking)
Safety pins
Sewing kit
Ziploc bags
Zip ties
TP pack
Water purification tablets
Fixed blade and sheath
FAK
Aluminum foil
Garbage bag
Sam splint.

#193040 - 01/08/10 08:43 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Snow shoes?

A method for getting out if both machines fail from
bad gas etc?

#193043 - 01/08/10 08:59 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: NightHiker]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Methinks that was hikermor's attempt at being a comedian. Get it, yellow snow and such. Ha ha ha.

#193044 - 01/08/10 09:00 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Nice updated list CC. Does it all fit?

#193062 - 01/09/10 12:49 AM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: NightHiker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Just two things from me:

Firmly intending to stay nights in a lodge is almost a guarantee that you won't, because you're tempting the Fickle Finger of Fate (getting the middle one is the worst).

Dehydration contributes very much to hypothermia, so stay well hydrated.

Sue

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.