Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#192844 - 01/07/10 02:51 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: NightHiker]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Its been said before but I'd add a Sierra Saw / folding saw. Especially since your on ATVs.

#192851 - 01/07/10 03:14 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: comms]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Updated List:

PLB and Sat phone w/ 3 batteries (split between riders)
Current paper trail map and compass.
GPS with trail map
MSR Dragon fly stove and small largest msr fuel bottle.
Minimal utensils (cooking pan/pot).
About three meals of mountain house-type pack food.
Windproof matches
Regular matches
flint, steel, dryer lint, magnesium chips, permalog type emergency tinder balls..
Pocket knife
Aircraft duct tape and foil tape
small foldable shovel
15' tow strap
signal laser (red)
-------------------------
Water bottle
Multi-tool
60ft nylon rope
energy bars, peanut butter, jerky and cheese
LED flashlight and headlamp.
toilet paper
tarp for wind break, roof shelter.
whistle
10 ft tubing for siphoning gas.
-------------------------
Hotronics M4 foot warmers (these are wicked awesome - forgot to mention these previously).
Chemical heat packs
pfak
folding saw
vaccuum flask for water.

Not much room for a sleeping bag and tent. Any recommendations for emergency/survival shelter?

Edited by ChicagoCraig (01/07/10 03:15 PM)

#192858 - 01/07/10 03:54 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am honestly puzzled - about your carrying capacity. All you can carry on a snowmobile is a hefty day pack (50L capacity or approximately 3,000 cu in))? I have no experience with snowmobiling, so this is an honest question - please enlighten me.

My cold weather snow experience is ski touring and climbing in similar temperatures, but on any trip, we would carry packs of up to twice the capacity you list. Those would be adequate to carry the gear proposed here. Isn't there any way to affix duffel bags or similar to the snowmobile?

One thing about a sleeping bag - consider it part of your FAK, since any significant injury will not just be the injury but the injury plus potential hypothermia. You need to keep the victim warm....

#192863 - 01/07/10 04:14 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
DH_07 Offline
Stranger

Perhaps you didn't mention it because you have it somewhere else, but I would put a few reliable windproof lighters on the list, as well as a windscreen/block for the stove. I would include one that is larger/longer, such as the ones used to light grills, so your hand isn't near the stove and you can operate it with your gloves on (ie, the trigger operated ones). This is important if your gloves are synthetic - you won't want them near the flame.

I say this bc using matches to light a stove in that wind won't be fun/easy. Even the best windproof matches go out in 40 mph wind, in my experience. The really good lighters may not be that much better, but relight is easy and you only need a moment of flame to catch a gas stove -- and you can position the long lighters right next to the gas outlet for an easy light.

Dan

#192866 - 01/07/10 04:25 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: hikermor]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Hikermor:

Carrying a very large pack when traveling at 40 to 50 mph is very challenging if the trails aren't smooth as glass. A good jolt from a bump and larger bag can bounce around potentially throw you from the machine.

We typically rent sleds (slang for snowmobile) and depending on the make/model there can sometimes be very little room to affix packs. Sometimes there will be room on the back deck behind the seat to bungee packs down and we can carry more. We don't know the exact model sled until we show up at the outfitter's location; we can only reply on knowing engine type and size, and track length and paddle depth. So we plan for no room on the sled. Most sleds will have some sort of compartment on the tail but they are usually small and we fill that up with extra two cycle oil.

I've fit most of the stuff on list in my pack on previous trips. I may upgrade to a larger pack for this trip though. I also carry a smaller front waist pack for quick access items (flashlight, jerky, glove liners, etc.)

Good point on the sleeping bag being a part of the FAK. Looking for something lightweight and pack up small.

#192869 - 01/07/10 04:30 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Sensei:

My stove (MSR Dragon fly) comes with a full wind screen. I did not know windproof matches go out a that wind speed. Good to know, thanks. Any recommendation on a small windproof lighter?

#192870 - 01/07/10 04:35 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Avalanche potential?

Training, Beacon, Probe and Shovel for each.

Snow saw and clinometer for the group.

Really like the Tracker beacon for its simplicity and
speed of use.

Edited by clearwater (01/07/10 04:39 PM)

#192876 - 01/07/10 05:25 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
If you can and have the ability and you are truly concerned if issues pop up I would sugest pulling a slead and negating the space issue.

If the trails you are on are highly traveled you may (please no one shoot me for this) be able to get away without the need for sleeping bags and tent/bivisac. Personaly I would find a sled trailer that you can pull and put the gear you need on the sled and not have to worry about spending an night out on the trail.

I was talking to a friend of mine and he does about 120 to 150 miles a day on his slead, so 90 per day is resonable.

One of my concerns is that you don't know the area and that you are on a motorized mode of transportation. Why the conern about the motor? Besides the obvious about breaking down and all that there is the conern that when things go wrong, they will go wrong fast and in a bit way. All it will take is about 20 min of "I am on the trail" thinking when you are not on a trail at all and next thing you know you are about 10 to 20 miles from the trail or anything.

As for gear,, I cant recomend enough that you Carry a sheath knife. Yeah you have your pocket knife, but have you ever tried to open a pocket knife with a glove on? and don't even put that sucker near your teath to try to open it, even one handed opening knives don't realy work well with gloves on. If you had to get to the knife due to an emergency you will not pay attention to where you put your glove as you rip it off, and next thing you know once the chrissis is overted, or delt with, your wearing a sock on your hand trying to keep your fingers warm.

Having the GPS is great, but a compas doesn't take bateries!

I don't know what kind of tow strap your bringing but you cna usualy get away with replacing that and recovering some fo the space, with 1 inch webbing and carabiners (NO, it isn't perfect but you can regain about 1 square foot of space by doing this)

I woudl add a camelback drinking system,, they make them for the winter and can keep your watter warm to prevent freezing and allow you to drink on the fly.

Snow shovel. and if you are going into back country you need a hatchet/ax,

Just some thougths.

Edited by Tyber (01/07/10 05:45 PM)

#192881 - 01/07/10 05:39 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: ChicagoCraig
Hikermor:

We typically rent sleds (slang for snowmobile) and depending on the make/model there can sometimes be very little room to affix packs. Sometimes there will be room on the back deck behind the seat to bungee packs down and we can carry more. We don't know the exact model sled until we show up at the outfitter's location; we can only reply on knowing engine type and size, and track length and paddle depth. So we plan for no room on the sled. Most sleds will have some sort of compartment on the tail but they are usually small and we fill that up with extra two cycle oil.

Looking for something lightweight and pack up small.

Don't they make some sort of panniers that fit over the seat?

Blizzard bags might be part of an option for extra protection
if immobile.

#192886 - 01/07/10 05:56 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: clearwater]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: clearwater
Avalanche potential?

Training, Beacon, Probe and Shovel for each.

Snow saw and clinometer for the group.

Really like the Tracker beacon for its simplicity and
speed of use.

No avalanche potential. We are "marked trail" only type of folk plus we will be in the midwest. If we were venturing into avalanche domains I would look into an ABS pack but first I would want to learn how to use a Beacon.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 342 Guests and 83 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.