Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#192771 - 01/06/10 04:46 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: benjammin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I, too, have bad personal experiences with CO poisoning that make me a bit wary. A cabin full of fellow workers nearly died due to a malfunctioning pilot light. One woke up in the middle of the night with a splitting headache, realized the situation, and ventilated in time. Exceptional circumstances - a small, tightly sealed cabin - which are not representative of most homes.

I myself acquired a splitting headache after excavating an a closed space (which I thought was adequately ventilated) using a carbide lamp for ventilation.

If concerned, a CO detector (properly installed and maintained) provides an extra layer of safety.

#192782 - 01/06/10 06:58 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: Russ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Russ

As for cost, I haven't seen a dual burner Coleman PerfectFlow at $34 USD. That's ~1/2 the price of dual burners in that line and it looks fairly simple (that's a good thing).

Thanks for the info. These single burners look good at $34 USD. I need to check again -- maybe prices have dropped, or maybe it's a pricing quirk up here (last time I checked locally, they wanted over $50 CAD).

#192785 - 01/06/10 08:24 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: dougwalkabout]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I purchased an alcohol stove though Ebay a number of years ago, which I think, would be great for a home situation. The problem is I don’t have the stove handy to look up any information and a search turned up the standard alcohol stoves already mentioned. The stove is made of stainless steel has a removable tank that attaches to the side (works with gravity) and holds around 1 pint of fuel. The stove itself has 1 burner and is adjustable. I believe this was manufactured and is in use in Asian countries. We have used the stove during power outages and it works great. If anyone has any idea what I am talking about and can point to an image that can be posted (there are none on Ebay right now), it might be something that would be useful.

Pete

#192787 - 01/06/10 08:49 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: paramedicpete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Sounds like a marine stove of some sort. They are common in that environment, especially for safety reasons (lighter than air and won't pool in the bilges and go boom).

#192793 - 01/06/10 10:09 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: hikermor]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Possibly, but the construction would seem to me to make too unstable for a marine environment, as the fuel bottle might it unstable.

Pete

#192800 - 01/07/10 01:20 AM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: paramedicpete]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Okay, it sounds like a propane camp stove is what I want. I'll probably go with one of the two-burner ones for the low profile, stability, and the familiar cooktop.

I appreciate the info about the CO levels, it's reassuring.

And I will be putting in a combo smoke/CO detector anyway, so that's covered, too.

Thank you all, very much!

#192803 - 01/07/10 01:33 AM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: Compugeek]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Compugeek, WallieWorld in Poway has the two burner Coleman stoves on the shelf. I'm rethinking and considering a two burner instead of the single. Seems to be more common and that means better parts availability.

#192842 - 01/07/10 02:46 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: hikermor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
A malfunctioning pilot light would not create a CO problem. More likely it would allow the room to fill with whatever combustible gas the cabin heater would be using. Since it was probably under thermostat control, as the temp in the cabin dropped, the t'stat would've opened the valve to feed the heater, but with no pilot light, the gas would've just kept coming. A CO monitor/alarm would've done you absolutely no good in that case.

CO is a by-product of combustion, and without it, you get no CO build-up. Sounds like what you got was either a propane or a methane (natural gas) flood in your cabin, which came really close to suffocating you all. You would need a low O2 alarm to protect you from that sort of problem. Had any of you lit a match at the time, you probably would've blown the cabin up.

#192855 - 01/07/10 03:38 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: benjammin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I am a bit hazy on the details - I wasn't there. But it did involve incomplete combustion (that was the malfunction) of a pilot light. No explosive atmosphere was involved. Individual who woke up did so with a serious headache.

#192878 - 01/07/10 05:36 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: Compugeek]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One of these might be useful - A Foker Double Gas Boiling Ring with Flame Failure Device (FFD)

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Double_Burner_Europa_Gas_Boiling_Ring_with_FFD.html

It can be used with a whole host of external Gas Bottles (Butane Propane or LPG) from the Campingaz 901,904 bottles etc through to industrial propane bottles using the appropriate Regulator/Hose and Clips etc i.e most of the bottles supplied by Calorgas such as the Butane 15kg bottles and smaller Patiogas bottles.

A single 15Kg Calor Gas Butane Bottle would give about 25 hrs continuous use at the full 8KW output. Or to put it another way around 15-20 weeks normal cooking use for 1 to 2 persons.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 480 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.