Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192837 - 01/07/10 02:21 PM SPOT and DeLorme Unveil First Handheld GPS with Sa
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Spot LLC, and well-known GPS manufacturer, DeLorme, announced the world’s first handheld GPS and satellite communicator product. The DeLorme Earthmate PN-60w with SPOT Satellite Communicator will be the first handheld GPS capable of sending user inputted real time text messages from remote locations. This is clearly a significant advantage over the very limited pre-defined messages allowed using the existing SPOT GPS Satellite Messenger. Note that this is still a one-way device, it cannot receive messages via the satellite link.

While details are sketchy, we have the press release and a photo at: http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=190
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#192843 - 01/07/10 02:51 PM Re: SPOT and DeLorme Unveil First Handheld GPS with Sa [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
No physical keyboard so inputting the text will either be through a soft keyboard on the display or through a tedious process using the toggle/arrow button. Hmmm, that might work as long as the 9-1-1 is a single button and easy to do under stress. This SPOT-DeLorme device might work for checking in and calling for non-emergency assist, but so does a cell phone. I'll wait for more details.

Regardless, I ordered a FastFind which should arrive with my RSK M-4, so I have the PLB issue covered.

#192845 - 01/07/10 02:52 PM Re: SPOT and DeLorme Unveil First Handheld GPS with Sa [Re: Doug_Ritter]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Dang and I just got the PN40 after a long debate on SPOT or new GPS to replace an older Garmin that still worked well.

Oh well.

#192847 - 01/07/10 02:59 PM Re: SPOT and DeLorme Unveil First Handheld GPS with Sa [Re: Russ]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Some updated info including price and a link to a DeLorme Blog post with additional details added to my Blog.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#192849 - 01/07/10 03:04 PM Re: SPOT and DeLorme Unveil First Handheld GPS with Sa [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
Users can send freeform text messages using the PN-60w’s keyboard to select individuals or groups from the field even from remote areas world-wide.
Doug, do you know whether or not that's a physical keyboard?

#192853 - 01/07/10 03:32 PM Re: SPOT and DeLorme Unveil First Handheld GPS with Sa [Re: Russ]
NobodySpecial Offline

>Doug, do you know whether or not that's a physical keyboard?
It's an onscreen keyboard.

Since the Spot transmitter is a separate unit and the comms is presumably bluetooth this capabiility will probably be available for your iPhone/Blackberry soon.

#192862 - 01/07/10 04:07 PM Re: SPOT and DeLorme Unveil First Handheld GPS with Sa [Re: NobodySpecial]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Spot is so frustrating. They come so close to providing a killer product, but always do something annoying to detract.

Personally, I think a combo GPS, satellite messenger is a killer idea.

I think the idea of sending free form text messages is a killer idea.

Why, oh why make it two units connected via wireless?! Well, I can guess the answer, but it doesn't make it any less clunky.

And, why, oh why, pick a device without a reasonable keyboard?! Geez, all the phone guys have gotten keyboards down, both soft and physical.

Sigh.

-john

#192875 - 01/07/10 05:24 PM Re: SPOT and DeLorme Unveil First Handheld GPS with Sa [Re: JohnN]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I agree with JohnN. They should have make it as one device. And with proper physical keyboard.
But it's good to see the ongoing innovation in this area.

#192923 - 01/07/10 09:08 PM Re: SPOT and DeLorme Unveil First Handheld GPS with Sa [Re: JohnN]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: JohnN
Why, oh why make it two units connected via wireless?!

You take an existing GPS product and just add a few lines of code to talk to the SPOT. No new case design, no tooling costs, no CE/FCC approval and you don't have to carry two different models.
while if SPOT made this as a single unit they would be competing with both the established GPS makers and their own unit.

The SPOT puck is then just an off the shelf globestar modem, a bluetooth chip and a battery - very quick and easy to bring to market. And now you can add SPOT to any GPS (or smart phone) maker's unit.

It's not a very difficult market to enter, the hardware is pretty simple then you just need to sell enough to pay for the operation center.
But there is a first mover advantage, with safety gear people naturally go for the brand name market leader which seems to be SPOT.

#192925 - 01/07/10 09:20 PM Re: SPOT and DeLorme Unveil First Handheld GPS with Sa [Re: NobodySpecial]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Yah, I know the answer, it is easier, no vendor tie-in, blah blah blah.

It still is clunky and doesn't live up to what it could be.

-john

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.