Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#201845 - 05/15/10 04:33 AM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: Andy]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Andy
All,

I'm looking to invest in an e-book reader and would appreciate hearing about your experiences with them, good and bad. Andy

I've been reading e-books since at least 10/6/2002 on my Palm PDAs. At best guess, I've read roughly 500 ebooks on my various Palm PDAs.

I have not purchased a dedicated e-book reader (despite reading about them and trying them in stores), because my e-book needs are met by a multipurpose device. My coworker mentioned that his iPhone works well for his e-book needs.

I think e-books are good in their place, but I'd suggest you consider whether a smartphone (iPhone, Android) would serve you better than a dedicated ebook reader.

What I like about e-books:

- I save money. My favorite science fiction publisher has extremely low prices on e-books. Baen Books Each month they offer a 6-book package for $15, usually including that month's new releases (otherwise only available in hardback or trade paper). The books in this month's package total $88.96 in list price in paper. Sure, I can't resell them, but realistically, I've saved far more money than I'd get from resale.

- I save space. I own over 6,000 books in physical form (and buy more every month). Buying ebooks (and using the library) helps keep that down.

- I always have something to read in an odd moment. If I'm waiting for my wife at the store, or at an airport terminal, I"m set.

- I can read in bed comfortably without disturbing my wife (since my Palm is self-lit).

- It is no extra weight for me, since I'd be carrying the Palm on my belt in any case. I expect the same for my coworker with his iPhone. For my sister, yes, it is extra weight.

- The e-book reader remembers my place, I don't need to use a physical bookmark.

Dislikes:

- Some publishers seem to think they can get me to pay as much, or almost as much, for an e-book as for a physical book. So far, they have been wrong.

- My Palm Tungsten E has a limited battery life, and the display washes out in sunlight. Ebook readers wouldn't have either problem.

I have no bias towards any brand or seller. I would like one that will read a variety of file formats including .pdf and has both wifi and (pardon if I don't use the right term here) celluar communications.
Andy

Based on my frantic research after my sister bought a Sony Reader and was wondering if she should return it for a Kindle instead, both the recent Kindles and the Sony Reader support at least simple .PDF in their latest version. For non-DRM books, translation between the various formats (and reading e-Books) can be done using the freeware program Calibre. So, if what you want is only available as one of the 1,000,000+ ePub books at Google Books, translating it to Kindle format is just one more step.

Many of the free ebooks (like the 27,193 at ManyBooks.net can be downloaded in whatever format your e-book reader likes (ManyBooks.net offers 24 choices).

Some commercial sellers do likewise: Baen Books offers six formats.

Interested in knowing how you handle the "anxiety" of carrying around an expensive bit of kit to read Lee Child novels. <snip>
Andy

Since I read my books on expensive kit I carry around regardless of e-reading, that hasn't been a direct issue. For preserving said kit, I have a nice secure leather belt case. So far, I've had a PDA as EDC for 12 years with no physical accidents to the hardware.

Not so fortunate with cell phones, though, since the balt cases I was able to find had a nasty habit of popping off my belt.

#201858 - 05/15/10 12:49 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: rafowell]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
I decided on the B&N Nook and I've been quite pleased with it. I find that the battery life is quite good and the screen is very easy on the eyes. PDA/Smartphone screens are too small for these old eyes.

They've updated the OS and have included a web browser (still a beta version). Since the Nook has wifi I can surf at hotspots or around the house. It also has a MP3 player on it so I can listen and read at the same time.

I'm building a collection of pdf versions of all my various gadets' manuals to put on it.

So far so good.

#201862 - 05/15/10 01:42 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: Andy]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I purchased a Kobo E-Reader a few weeks ago. This is a basic no frills E-Reader which uses E-LInk technology and is much cheaper then a Kindle et al. With the much cheaper price, there is no wi-fi etc which is ok with me.

The e-reader has a 6" (diagonal) screen and is much easier to read then my HTC Hero phones' small screen or my netbook or laptop back-lit displays.

The e-reader has on board capacity of approximately 1000 books which can be expanded to about 5,000 total with the included SD card slot. The battery life is phenomenal and I have yet to re-charge it since the initial charge 3 weeks ago despite reading every night at bed time.

One great aspect of this e-reader is I can purchase books from the website and read them there online or from the e-reader or my HTC phone.

I usually read 3-4 books concurrently and having not to cart around 2 or more books in the backpack saves a lot weight and room as the e-reader is about the size of a large paperback and is just shy of 8 oz in weight and only 3/8" thick.

If you has asked me a year ago if I would purchased an e-reader (of any brand), the response would of been no. So far, I love the e-reader and now cannot foresee purchasing another hard or soft cover book, save for specialized manuals etc.

John Lubbock

#201892 - 05/16/10 02:12 AM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: Teslinhiker]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I had not heard of this brand before. My husband got the Sony e-reader, and then upgraded to the kindle.

Personally, I felt like they just weren't REAL books if I wasn't turning the pages!

But then... I read one book on the Kindle. And realized how easily I could download the sequel to it. No waiting list at the library, no more books for my already full book cases... and just like that, I was sucked right in. smile

Also note that some of them you can add your own pdf files and stuff onto them. So some types of "specialized manuals" that you have saved on your computer could possibly transfer to your Kobo. *at least, you can do that on the sony and kindle readers*

Enjoy your books!

(my husband has misplaced the kindle *sigh*, so not much reading going on here!)

~Marion C. Garretty

#201927 - 05/16/10 04:35 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: Andy]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
I decided on the B&N Nook and I've been quite pleased with it.
They've updated the OS and have included a web browser (still a beta version).

I bought a Nook last March and the only thing you can do with the WiFi is connect to Barnes & Noble bookshops (only in the US)no browser at all. Is that an add-on or an improved soft that I could download?

#201938 - 05/16/10 09:35 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: GauchoViejo]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
There is a new software version #1.3.0. It has a beta version of web browser that works with my home wifi network. Can't be sure if I'm downloading new books via the wifi or the 3G connection. Regardless it seems to be working just fine.

#201940 - 05/16/10 11:11 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: Andy]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
My wonderful wife got me the Nook last month and I've really liked it so far. The wifi works on any 'open' network or one you know a password too, such as my home network. I've done book purchases sitting at home with just the wifi and it seems just as fast (less than a minute) as when I am in the local B&N store.

The browser they just put out in the new update is lame... I can't see using it for anything major as it is just to clunky and restricted but it is a 'nice to have'. I do like the new games - chess is nice and the general response it has now seems to be better. I have loaded a bunch of PDF manuals, some free fiction in PDF, some other epub books from several on-line sources and an so far very happy with my choice. B&N also seems to be supporting the device as I have received a couple of totally free books from them just because I have the Nook and even got a free cookie one day with an on-line Nook coupon while in the store.

I also like how it acts as an external drive when you connect it to your computer (I've got both Mac and Windows units) thus allowing you to also store any file you want on it - can't read anything but the 'right' formats but the file is still there and can be carried around... nice bonus for my thinking.

Paul -

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.