Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#192641 - 01/05/10 03:13 AM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW ? [Re: philip]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Not to mention raccoon ribs and possum belly. grin

Sue

#192692 - 01/05/10 06:55 PM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW ? [Re: Susan]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
So, what is the correct procedure for using 5 gallon buckets/toilet bowl, bags, and chlorine to collect and store human waste for a limited time? Say... 2 weeks. I don't have saw dust, or lime.

#192698 - 01/05/10 07:18 PM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW ? [Re: ki4buc]
Susan Offline
Geezer

The simplest thing would be to deposit liquids in one container and solids in another at time of use, to reduce the 'slop effect'. Bundle up the solids in sturdy bags (contractor bags are good) and fasten them with a cable tie (not a twist tie) when when the weight gets to be 'about right'. Don't load up a big bag to capacity -- think about having to empty it.

Forget the chlorine, that's really nothing but 'eyewash' (to make people feel they're doing something). A little chlorine isn't going to decontaminate twenty pounds of feces.

If you have access to water (doesn't have to be drinking quality -- used wash or bath water is fine), dilute the fresh urine about 1:10 and sling it out over your lawn or under your ornamentals, it's good fertilizer as long as it's diluted. The soil microbes should make short work of it, esp in warm weather. Try not to store it, or it turns to ammonia and really stinks. (Try to deposit all toilet paper with the feces, rather than dropping it into the urine.)

Alternatives to raw sawdust is stove pellets, or 'bedding pellets' from a feed store, easily stored in their own tough plastic bags, and pretty cheap ($3.50-$5/bag).

Sue

#192736 - 01/06/10 01:47 AM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW ? [Re: NightHiker]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Once the poop is deposited in a dry absorbent material, I keep most of a block of compressed peat moss from the garden center on hand for just such an eventuality (so I could realistically start right now) and covered with the absorbent it doesn't stink. It dries rapidly and can be stored in that state for some time until you can bury it. Once buried in moist but well drained soil it is rapidly broken down by soil bacteria and effectively composted.

On the other hand you could roll it into balls and make it into decorative items by polish it:
http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2010/01/polishing_a_turd_to_a_high_glo.php

It is always good to have options.

#192740 - 01/06/10 03:07 AM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW ? [Re: Art_in_FL]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
LOL -- after a few days of boredom, anything is possible. Be sure to stock bright paints, brushes, and varnish.

Yes, peat moss would work very exceptionally well. Sawdust would be okay too. And my experiments with home-made charcoal ("biochar" to the greenies) suggests that this is the item of choice, for the liquids pail at least. And I strongly concur with Sue's comments about separate collection wherever possible.

Bleach has its place also. It won't sterilize the whole solid mass, but an occasional ounce will stop decomp to a huge degree, especially if the container is well covered between uses, making the sit-upon considerably less traumatic to those inclined to freak out. And you know you'll have some of those.

BTW, any good suggestions regarding sources for five-gallon plastic pails? Painters and restaurants come to mind. Thoughts?

#192745 - 01/06/10 04:46 AM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW ? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Standard five gallon buckets are available on construction sites: paint and drywall mud; restaurants: pickles, coleslaw, and condiments; maintenance and custodial contractors or institutional organizations: detergents, cleaners, waxes, polish. If you have the gift of gab you can talk your way into some for free.

A lot will come for free if your willing to dig them out of a dumpster or remove them rapidly if they agree to stack them up for you. Too often people ask for them to be put aside and then don't follow up so they get tossed just to free up the room. Point being that if your ask and they agree to do you a favor you need to follow through. Basic civility and consideration but it seems to too often get forgotten.

If you need them now, want to avoid banter and negotiation, need them in pristine condition, and are willing to spend some money most hardware outlets sell them. $4 to $6 each seems to be the going price but I have seen them on sale for as little as $2 each.

If you have a few of those buckets you can rotate them as needed. Possibly using them for storage. If space or weight is a concern liner bags might be used. The first time I used peat moss and tried it I didn't use bags and found that there was very little contamination of the bucket. Dumping was quick, easy, and less revolting that I had expected. Bags might be wise with children but I'm beginning to think that they might be more trouble than the are worth if everyone is disciplined and you can dispose of the contents in good time.

#192748 - 01/06/10 05:58 AM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW [Re: Art_in_FL]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Based on my experience and Art_'s as well, I think the bottom line is: if you pay for plastic pails, you've been royally had.

I have about 25 drywall pails, 10 motor/hydraulic oil pails, and half a dozen canola oil pails from a restaurant. Some scrounged from a recycling bin (I'm shameless) but most given to me for the asking. I separate "food grade" from "chemical grade" just to be on the safe side.

I think that a couple of dozen 5-gal pails, with some lids if possible, should be standard for any of us. They solve a whole bunch of practical problems. If you stack them vertically in a garage, their footprint is approx. 2 sq. ft.

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/06/10 06:00 AM)

#192779 - 01/06/10 06:06 PM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW [Re: dougwalkabout]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Try to acquire buckets from restaurants rather than construction sites, as they are far less likely to have been exposed to a lot of sunlight/UV radiation. Sitting on a partly-full sun-rotted bucket and having it fall apart under you is not something you need under survival conditions (and it would make a big mess on your bathroom carpet).

ki4buc: thinking a little more on your question, I would STRONGLY suggest that you invest in some sawdust, as-is or in pellet form. You may not believe how much it will absorb odor and keep down flies. Otherwise, the alternative would be to fill and close a bunch of small bags and put them into a large bag, and all those bags mean that it would all have to go to the landfill rather than a sewage treatment facility because no one is going to want to empty all those little bags. And if you just let the waste accumulate without bagging or covering it, you're going to have an awful stinky, fly-ridden, maggotty mess.

And if you want to 'invest' in a pickup load of sawdust (not PT), it doesn't have to be stored dry. Just dump it in a corner of your yard or under a tree and let it sit until you need it. If it advances into a state of compost, no problem, you still use it as-is.

Sue

#192856 - 01/07/10 03:44 PM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW [Re: Susan]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I've seen cat litter suggested to absord moisture and odors. Is any particular brand better or worse for this use?

#192942 - 01/08/10 12:23 AM Re: Dealing with human waste... starting RIGHT NOW [Re: acropolis5]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I used to have a couple of cats, and nothing works regarding absorbing odors. For our uses, any brand of cat litter, peat moss, saw dust, etc. will be equally ineffective for absorbing odors, but about equal for absorbing moisture. I prefer peat moss and saw dust because it's lighter than litter.

Back in the 70s I was in a Sears store in Minot, ND, when the announcement came over the intercom, "Ted Williams to the sporting goods department, please. Ted Williams to sporting goods." I was with a salesman; Sears's baseball stuff was endorsed by Ted Williams, but I was surprised he'd be in Minot, so I asked if he was really there. "No," the guy said, "we've got a new girl on the intercom." Immediately she said, "Pete Moss to the garden supply department, please. Pete Moss to garden supplies."

(This was back when men were men and women were girls; please excuse the salesperson and me for quoting him.)

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.