Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#194662 - 01/30/10 10:00 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: Todd W]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: Todd W
Carhartt Men's Fleece 2-In-1 Headwear
http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/store...0&langId=-1

Is an awesome piece of cold weather gear I recently got.

Looks very warm. It doesn't look like it will fit underneath of a helmet. Will it?

Retractable saw someone suggested too. Gerber makes a decent money for <15$.

I think I am going with a hand chain saw. Between that and the recon scout I think I could process wood fairly well.

I think too much gear aimed to 'stay in place' is a bad thing myself. Sure, matches, lighter, etc good but some kits I see here and other places are enough "stay in place gear" to live out in the middle of winter. To me, the goal is to get rescued or make your own way back to civilization.

Good observation but perhaps staying in place is a good thing if injured or if a PLB was activated.

#194700 - 01/31/10 06:12 AM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky

I think too much gear aimed to 'stay in place' is a bad thing myself. Sure, matches, lighter, etc good but some kits I see here and other places are enough "stay in place gear" to live out in the middle of winter. To me, the goal is to get rescued or make your own way back to civilization.

Good observation but perhaps staying in place is a good thing if injured or if a PLB was activated.
[/quote]

Good call CC. In all but the most extreme scenarios you are better off to stay put and wait for SAR.

#194708 - 01/31/10 01:13 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: Mark_F]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Welcome Byrd_Huntr. A nice list from a voice of experience. The other stuff we have suggested is for the "what-if" factor, otherwise known as Murphy's Law. Many, many people get by with carrying less gear than they should. When Murphy catches up and something goes horribly wrong, well, those are the stories you see in the nightly news. "Local hunter dies of exposure" or "Hikers lost in desert succumb to the elements" are the typical headlines. They could be easily averted by carrying just some very basic gear. FWIW and YMMV.

I'm definitely with you on this. I see those stories too, and one of them haunts me when I pass this place. In Minnesota there is an area called Weaver Bottoms on the Mississippi River. I travel there with my wife to observe migrating waterfowl a few times a year. In Nov 1940, weather forcasting was not yet developed to the standards of today. Unseasonably warm weather suddenly gave way to freezing rain and quickly switched to a severe blizzard with very heavy snow, killing 49 Minnesotans. Many of the victims were duck hunting in Weaver Bottoms in flannel shirts or light gear. Some were found ice-covered and frozen to death, still standing in the marsh. Standing there today, you can see how it could happen. Weaver Bottoms is not that big; a mile or two of flat marshland between two 300' high limestone bluff riverbanks. People then and now look to these highbanks for orientation. In a blizzard the hunters could not see the highbanks and did not know which way was West, so they were unable to walk to safety in time. A one dollar compass would have saved them all.

#195440 - 02/09/10 05:07 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
ChicagoCraig Offline

So I picked up a flashlight for my kit. I choose a Gerber Cornea HI Flashlight (22-80122). It is a three watt LED with a maximum output of 105 lumens along with 65 and 30 lumens on medium and low settings. It has a strobe mode as well. Focusable bean from flood to spot with even coverage. Runs on three CR123 lithium batteries making it a good power source for cold weather.

Edited by ChicagoCraig (02/09/10 05:07 PM)

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.