Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#192636 - 01/05/10 01:46 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Blast]
LED Offline
Veteran

Wasn't there a period in the 1970's or so in the midwest where people were advised not to drink milk due to fallout from indian nuke tests?

#192638 - 01/05/10 02:04 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Russ
That glowing personality?

In this case..perhaps literally! Lol.

I tell people it's my halo.

-Saint Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#192752 - 01/06/10 06:34 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: NightHiker]
LED Offline
Veteran

Nevermind, found it.

Quote:
Cresson H. Kearny, the author of the NWSS book, also states about this now declassified incident:

"It produced fallout that by January 1, 1967 resulted in the fallout cloud covering most of the United States. This one Chinese explosion produced about 15 million curies of iodine- 131 - roughly the same amount as the total release of iodine- 131 into the atmosphere from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant disaster."
"Fallout from the approximately 300 kiloton Chinese test explosion shown in Fig. 1 (Map 'B' above) caused milk from cows that fed on pastures near Oak Ridge, Tennessee and elsewhere to be contaminated with radioiodine, although not with enough to be hazardous to health."

"However, this milk contamination (up to 900 picocuries of radioactive iodine per liter) and the measured dose rates from the gamma rays emitted from fallout particles deposited in different parts of the United States indicate that trans-Pacific fallout from even an overseas nuclear war in which "only" two or three hundred megatons would be exploded could result in tens of thousands of unprepared Americans suffering thyroid injury."

"Perhaps the first nuclear war casualties in the United States will be caused by fallout from an overseas nuclear war in which our country is not a belligerent. As the number of nations with nuclear weapons increases - especially in the Middle East - this generally unrecognized danger to Americans will worsen."

#192758 - 01/06/10 01:07 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: LED]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Here's an incredible life story: this man survived both Hiroshima (where he was visiting on business when the A-bomb dropped) and Nagasaki (his home, where he'd gone back to with severe burns only to experience the 2nd A-bomb three days later.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...d=moreheadlines

Interesting note from the article:

Last month he was visited in the hospital by filmmaker James Cameron, director of "Titanic" and "Avatar," who is considering making a movie about the bombings, according to the Mainichi.

#192764 - 01/06/10 03:00 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Dagny]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
So, I actualy watched this show last night. honestly, the senarios that were presented I feel were totaly "worst case scenario"

After watching most of the show I was left with a sense that MOST of the people on this site would fair rather well. While I am not totaly set up I think that I have the mindset and am ahead of the ball game much further than the rest of the people. I feel that people on this forum, for the most part, would fair well either through prepairedness, or mindset, more than likely a combination of both.

What I find intresting is that so many of there shows are asking these dark questions.

While I didn't like 100% of the show, I feel that

#192766 - 01/06/10 03:47 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Dagny]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I saw After Armageddon last night. Didn't even realize that it was going to air. Since there was some question about the topic when Dagny first posted about it, in this fictional, worst-case scenario, a global pandemic wipes out most of the population in a few months, much the same way that the Black Death left only a fraction of Europe's population alive in its wake.

Keeping in mind the limited budget of a TV episode and the limited time, I thought that it was actually a well thought out and pretty comprehensive episode. Short on details so don't expect a tutorial but covers a lot of topics. The fictional scenario not only included approximately three months of the pandemic, but also the weeks and months after the pandemic burns out and what survivors are faced with afterwards.

I'm always a bit annoyed with the fear-mongering nature of much of what we see and read, especialy with 2012 being the new Y2K, and this show does show looting and crimes, but in this case, I think it was a pretty good balance of showing the risk of violence without going over the top with it. I appreciated one of the experts talking about balancing Mad Max visions of the future with a more balanced possible future after such a disaster.

Just my personal take, but I was a bit disappointed that the very last two scenes--which occur 25 years after the pandemic--still show people armed and obviously on the lookout for imminent danger. Not Mad Max, but not Little House on the Prairie either. The scenes leading up to the end of the show imply a more pastoral future and you don't see the guns until the very end of the show. Gotcha! Personally, I just would've appreciated a more optimistic ending, but that's just me. OK, group hug everyone! wink

The episode was actually quite practical in the topics addressed. For example, how people have to cope with lack of flush toilets. Not our favorite topic but something we would ALL have to face. Or what to do with all the dead people and the fact that the air could reek from the smell of rotting flesh or that we could see a lot of dead bodies. Or some of the psychology that could be involved.

Since I live in Southern California, the fact that the main characters are living in Los Angeles when the pandemic starts hit a little close to home.

Oh, I know Martin F. has mentioned this in the past, but the show also came to the same conclusion that he does about who eventually survive and live on--small, organized communities of people, not individuals or individual families holed up in their fortified homes with a million rounds of ammo.

Anyway, I think this is one show that probably needs to be seen more than once to catch all the things covered. Not everything is pointed out by the narration or dialogue. I would recommend the episode since it's not just simplistic fear mongering but does cover a lot of legitimate topics.

#192768 - 01/06/10 04:29 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Arney]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I was pleasantly surprised, after expressing some forebodings earlier. I didn't care for the emphasis on dramatics, but there were some thoughtful notions expressed.

Just a thought. At least some economic historians hold the view that the Black Death sparked the Industrial Revolution by basically raising the value of workers' efforts. There always seems to be a silver lining.

Deja Vue. Was that Susan I saw carrying out the slops? - instant reminder of her thread.

#192772 - 01/06/10 04:52 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: hikermor]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
"America's Hottest" Marine, a Recon guy, apparently there was an HBO series he was in

Well, lost the rest of my text!!! So, here it is, AGAIN:

I only caught the last 10 minutes of it, sadly. It was 25 years after whatever happened. Two questions-how did the guy in the cemetary get charged batteries for the vidcam? And, when has technology lasted 25 years?!?!?!?

I do want to catch this on rerun-it looks interesting, and I wish I wouldve watched it last night.

Edited by oldsoldier (01/06/10 04:54 PM)

#192774 - 01/06/10 05:21 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: oldsoldier]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I watched part of this show last night. The mindset of "wait until the government gets here to help" seemed to be really prevalent. The husband had some good ideas, but was too freaking sissified to act on them, while the wife was all over the map, one minute whining about no power, the next screaming to stop throwing clean clothes on the lawn, but she was the proponent of evacuating, the only good idea they had in the time I watched.

Ok, so it was a re-do of Stephan King's "The Stand" with less actors. And it lacked Jamey Sheridan as the Devil Incarnate.

Would rather watch a show with useful ideas. I already know that the majority of people will not be prepared for anything, instead they will wait on Uncle. Oh, in this case, Uncle was spirited away on a helicopter to "an unknown location" under Joe Biden's house...lol.

I think I will depend on me instead.

#192776 - 01/06/10 05:30 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: oldsoldier]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
how did the guy in the cemetary get charged batteries for the vidcam?

Ha! Yeah, I think that's part of the "poetic license" part of the dramatization.

One other thing that I thought was informative and rarely discussed was the "fog of war" aspect of many emergencies. When you're in some disaster, often you only know what you can see and hear around you. Even months later, the main characters didn't know what was happening in the rest of the country or world until they eventually could get some info from someone with access to Amateur (HAM) radio.

I didn't think the gossip factor was really emphasized enough, although mentioned. I mean, look at Katrina or even the beginnings of the H1N1 outbreak in Mexico and how lack of good information created all kinds of anxiety and fear and actions based on that anxiety and fear. That could cause a lot of problems, short and long-term, that otherwise wouldn't happen if it weren't for "bad intel". Unfortunately, not a whole lot you can do about that in many/most situations, but at least it's something to keep in mind.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.