Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#192940 - 01/07/10 11:55 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am a bit hazy on the details - I wasn't there. But it did involve incomplete combustion (that was the malfunction) of a pilot light. No explosive atmosphere was involved. Individual who woke up did so with a serious headache.

Just want to emphasize this point: CO and CO2 are very different animals. CO2 is totally harmless. CO is highly poisonos. A good combustion gives you loads of CO2 and very little CO. Incomplete combustion will give you a lot more CO.

Now the wicked part of this is: If you "burn up" too much of the oxygen, the combustion will take revenge by spewing out lots of CO. Both lack of oxygen and abundance of CO is deadly. There doesn't have to be anything wrong with the pilot flame at all, just insufficient ventilation...

#192941 - 01/08/10 12:14 AM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: MostlyHarmless]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
[/quote] There doesn't have to be anything wrong with the pilot flame at all, just insufficient ventilation... [/quote]

Ventilation may well have been the basic problem. The cabin was very tight - it began life as a shipping container.

#193233 - 01/11/10 05:18 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: hikermor]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

The coleman dual burner propane stove is probably the one stove everyone should have, it's almost like an icon in the camping world. But if you only plan on using it as an emergency stove indoors, and not as a normal camping stove, here's another option to consider

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BVC...G5Y327HZYZ9VVG3

You can find these stoves in a lot of the asian supermarkets as they're used for tabletop cooking. They're cheap and easy to use, you can go from opening the box to cooking in under 10 seconds. Just load the canister, flip a switch and turn the dial it's ready to start cooking. It self ignites so you don't even need matches or a lighter. Fuel bottles are less than a buck, and last for a few hours. Big 5 and other sporting goods stores sell the exact same thing, but at somthing like 3x the price.

I will sometimes pick this stove over the dual burner coleman for short camping trips. It's small, light and completely self contained, so if I'm not planning on doing a whole lot of cooking for a lot of people this stove is much easier. The downsides are it doesn't get as hot as propane, and there's no windscreen. You can use the case stood on end as a makeshift windscreen, but indoors it won't even be an issue. As a bonus they make a great second burner during a BBQ, like for boiling water or heating up a frying pan of something.

Butane does have some disadvantages compared to propane (i.e. cold weather and high altitudes), but since you live in San Diego I can't think of a more perfect place for butane. I don't know the exact shelf life of butane, but I've used 20 year old cannisters on another stove with no issue, so I'm guessing it's pretty long.

#193237 - 01/11/10 05:45 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: ducktapeguy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Question (probably covered somewhere, but I'm a little short on time): can you burn Coleman liquid fuel in a soda can stove?

Sue

#193238 - 01/11/10 05:48 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: Susan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Susan
Question (probably covered somewhere, but I'm a little short on time): can you burn Coleman liquid fuel in a soda can stove?

Sue

Well, just once. Be sure you are wearing eye protection and non-synthetic clothing...
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#193247 - 01/11/10 06:54 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: MostlyHarmless]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am a bit hazy on the details - I wasn't there. But it did involve incomplete combustion (that was the malfunction) of a pilot light. No explosive atmosphere was involved. Individual who woke up did so with a serious headache.

Just want to emphasize this point: CO and CO2 are very different animals. CO2 is totally harmless. CO is highly poisonos. A good combustion gives you loads of CO2 and very little CO. Incomplete combustion will give you a lot more CO.

Now the wicked part of this is: If you "burn up" too much of the oxygen, the combustion will take revenge by spewing out lots of CO. Both lack of oxygen and abundance of CO is deadly. There doesn't have to be anything wrong with the pilot flame at all, just insufficient ventilation...

Essentially correct. It's the CO that's the major hazard to guard against in situations like this.

But note that CO2, in high concentrations and confined spaces, is also a hazard. This is more of a concern in industrial facilities. That means CO2 is, uh, "mostly" harmless. whistle

#193271 - 01/11/10 11:55 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: Blast]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Blast: "Well, just once. Be sure you are wearing eye protection and non-synthetic clothing..."

AH! I see! Very descriptive, Blast. Thank you!

(Note to self: Stick to alcohol, dummy!)

Sue

#193668 - 01/16/10 04:10 PM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: dougwalkabout]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

As to indoor use: any camp stove is tricky in that situation; carbon monoxide and fuel leaks can ruin your entire day. I prefer to use it in my porch or carport, never blocking emergency exits, and with fire extinguishers at the ready....

My $0.02.

I'd only use one outside. Like anything that burns, it produces carbon monoxide-- a deadly odorless gas. +1 on the fire extinguishers

TRO

#195731 - 02/12/10 04:12 AM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
We have a gas range, and it will light with a match even if the power is out. Our first backup is the outdoor gas grill. It has a small burner on the side which works well for heating pots. In a SHTF situation we have a trusty old Coleman, and some extra fuel.

#195736 - 02/12/10 05:46 AM Re: Stove Fuel shelf life [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

I've become a fan of alcohol stoves of late, with a few Trangias and attempts at making my own pop can stove. Recently bought a 'Solo' from http://www.whiteboxstoves.com/

The stoves are very well made and work well, and Bill who makes them is a great guy to deal with.

Alcohol expands easily in heat, so make sure you leave expansion space in whatever you're storing it in.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 459 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.