The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192453 - 01/02/10 06:56 PM Fire in garage from refueling generator
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
The news had a story about two firemen injured putting out a house fire. The fire is said to be accidental: the owner of the house dropped a candle while refueling his gasoline-powered generator in the garage.

#192455 - 01/02/10 07:13 PM Re: Fire in garage from refueling generator [Re: philip]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I guess that comic was right;

You can't fix stupid.

Wondering if the same home owner uses a match to see if there is any gas in the can? Won't even mention the Carbon Monoxide effects in a garage.

#192465 - 01/02/10 08:45 PM Re: Fire in garage from refueling generator [Re: JBMat]
Adventureboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Peoria, AZ ,USA
I know a blond joke about that.....;)
but won't tell it for risk of offending somebody.
adventureboy

#192473 - 01/02/10 10:02 PM Re: Fire in garage from refueling generator [Re: philip]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
*face palm*

That is why I own headlamps.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#192489 - 01/02/10 11:47 PM Re: Fire in garage from refueling generator [Re: ironraven]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

a popular variation on that is refueling a gasoline drive device, and the fumes drift into the propane water heater. I'm told the flashback can be quite impressive. One of those endless, but impossible to not look at, Oh!!! ... sh ... moments. With a slight whummp as the fumes catch and then the sight of the flames casually stroll back to the gasoline can, and/or fuel tank, you left open.

The resulting fireball is somewhat less well documented. Mostly because those who have seen it, and lived, tend to be focused on extended debridement sessions and hoping the latest round of skin grafts takes.

That said I have to say that carrying a candle while pouring gasoline is a fine way of making an otherwise boring life more interesting. Way more reliable than those pesky propane water heaters. Most of those installed in the last fifteen years or so have been raised at least 18" off the floor. Which tends to reduce their entertainment value. Darn inspectors ... always ruining the fun.

#192492 - 01/03/10 12:10 AM Re: Fire in garage from refueling generator [Re: philip]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Here's the link:
http://www.modbee.com/local/story/992501.html
One firefighter is seriously burned, it turns out. The firefighters can't account for the quick collapse of the roof - unusually high intensity of the fire or structural defect - but it was entirely unexpected. Two men were on the roof ventilating the fire when the roof fell in.

#192496 - 01/03/10 01:20 AM Re: Fire in garage from refueling generator [Re: philip]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: philip
Here's the link:
http://www.modbee.com/local/story/992501.html
One firefighter is seriously burned, it turns out. The firefighters can't account for the quick collapse of the roof - unusually high intensity of the fire or structural defect - but it was entirely unexpected. Two men were on the roof ventilating the fire when the roof fell in.

I don't know if it is applicable in this case but the newer engineered I beams, essentially two 2by4s with a piece of 3/8" ply as a web, have been shown to lose strength very rapidly when exposed to a fire. They catch quickly and as soon as the web loses strength, in a very few minutes, they collapse. This rapid failure is robbing fire departments of time they need to rescue people and the option of saving the structure.

They are very efficient use of materials and both fast and cost effective ways to do the job but they need some sort of protection from fire to give the firemen time to do what they do. Kind of an inside baseball building code issue but one which I'm hearing about.

#192513 - 01/03/10 02:57 AM Re: Fire in garage from refueling generator [Re: ironraven]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: ironraven
*face palm*

That is why I own headlamps.

I hope not candle headlamps?

HEHE!

I've seen them smile

#192520 - 01/03/10 04:27 AM Re: Fire in garage from refueling generator [Re: Todd W]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Nah, go with carbide instead. grin

But seriously: I try to avoid indoor fueling whenever possible. There's just too much that can go very wrong, very fast. I still remember transferring gas/oil mix from one container to another in a garage, and having my cousin march in waving a lit smoke around, totally oblivious ... holy $#@#! Apparently fate gives second chances to fools and teenagers.

#192598 - 01/04/10 02:40 PM Re: Fire in garage from refueling generator [Re: Art_in_FL]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
"The resulting fireball is somewhat less well documented."

HA!

I am reminded of the scene in "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York", where Marvin dunks his flaming head in a toilet filled with solvent, with the resulting flash and smoke curling out of the open windows. What a riot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 207 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.