Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#193133 - 01/10/10 02:57 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: hikermor]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida

#193168 - 01/10/10 05:29 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Arney]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
IF a few rain storms would clear out the sewers, would it not stand to reason that the cholera infested river would be clean as well. After all, it would be exposed to UV light.
I find fault in crossing a drawbridge on a tire iron cum grappling hook. The bridge would be a predictable avenue of approach and probably watched. I think a boat of ones own contrivance would have been a wiser choice, particularly under cover of near darkness.
I can't think of anyone in their right mind who would slide down an elevator shaft cable unless it was absolutely necessary, those cables can be slightly frayed and a length of that broken cable could penetrate Lord knows what. Think of the ensuing infection.
I would assume that in a postapocalyptic world that hospitals would also be like little repositories for MRSA and who knows what else, I would opt to avoid them.
And first and foremost. If you are living in a world full of hostiles and you are a combat veteran, who in their right mind would not be armed with something more substantial than a four cell maglite and a leatherman.
If you are going to set up a transmitter to broadcast your location, withdraw to a distance so you can observe your broadcast location/RV point and watch the area. You can't tell from a radio conversation the intent of anyone you would meet. IF things degenerate to the Mad Max level, slavery and cannibalism are viable possibilities. It will be a labor intensive, protein deprived life...I would want something more suitable to protect me than a large flashlight and a small knife

#193172 - 01/10/10 06:39 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Tarzan]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Why do none of these shows advocate traveling at night? It may not work in every city, and I can think of some areas of NYC that it might not be wise, but if you can move fast and quick, in a city without power, you won't be seen for long. You do have the issue that you may not be seen either. Yeah, you can adapt to the night, but you have to hope someone doesn't literally blind you with a flash light.

#193174 - 01/10/10 07:25 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: ki4buc]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

These shows also never ever mention about how do deal with the stink either. The apocalypse is going to be a smelly affair with hundreds of millions/billions of rotting corpses; enough to ensure that no matter where you go on the planet the stink will still be around. sick

Of course some folks may have already been a little more prepared to cope with the sweet sickly smelly meaty stink more than others, especially folks who stand around malls outside the local well known burger chains.

#193260 - 01/11/10 09:38 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: ki4buc]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ki4buc
Why do none of these shows advocate traveling at night?

Traveling at night makes a lot of sense in many circumstances. Unfortunately, it makes for bad TV.

#193274 - 01/12/10 12:04 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: chaosmagnet]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I don't have TV, but this show sounds like a cross between Omega Man and the book Earth Abides.

Sue

#193291 - 01/12/10 06:45 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Susan]
LED Offline
Veteran

Its a good thing they did the show during winter. If it were late spring, early fall, or summer, he would have been eaten alive by mosquitoes, especially wearing all black.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.