The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#192543 - 01/03/10 05:33 PM History Ch: surviving historic disasters
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
As part of History Channel's "Armageddon Week," they are airing a show called "After Armageddon" that looks to past disasters to examine human behavior under the stress of disasters and resulting disruptions in the basics: water, food, sanitation, health care and security.

It airs on Tuesday, January 5, at 8:00p

http://www.history.com/schedule.do?actio...d=1262734200000

After Armageddon:

What have past acts of destruction taught us about what will happen to mankind after the apocalypse? Is it inevitable that disaster will someday strike America on an unprecedented level? How has history prepared us? History's most dramatic events--Hiroshima, 9/11, Hurricane Katrina and others--are examined and analyzed with hard data gathered from their massive aftereffects.

The disappearance of water and food supplies, the effects of deteriorated sanitation and health care on the remaining population, and the increased use of violence as a means of survival--all illustrate how societies have responded and survived.

I'm presently watching DC deteriorate in the "Life After People" series. Decided it's too cold (single digit wind chill) to venture outside for long so am one with the TV.

#192544 - 01/03/10 05:46 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Another installment during the week that may interest many on ETS:

Wednesday, January 6, 9:00p

Apocalypse Man:

Government authorities say it's "not if... but when"...a moment in the future when, just as it has in the past, some catastrophe sparks mass destruction, leaving humans challenged to find shelter, heat, food, water and defense. If that happens, would you know what to do? Survival expert Rudy Reyes journeys through abandoned buildings showing us some surprising survival techniques, including making fire from steel wool, finding safe houses and creating shortwave radio transmissions.

I've never heard of Rudy Reyes.

#192545 - 01/03/10 05:49 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Dagny]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I wonder if this is the same show that was on a couple/three months ago? It was a scenario about the nuking of DC.

But as riveting as TV is, I'll probably watch it again even if it is a re-run.

#192546 - 01/03/10 05:53 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: JBMat]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JBMat
I wonder if this is the same show that was on a couple/three months ago? It was a scenario about the nuking of DC.

But as riveting as TV is, I'll probably watch it again even if it is a re-run.

I don't think so. I watched that DC nuke scenario show.

#192557 - 01/03/10 10:07 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Dagny]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
It sounds interesting, I will keep an eye out for it. I do question the bona fides of many of the "survival experts" I see on tv but have never heard of otherwise.

#192558 - 01/03/10 10:27 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks Dagny. I'll program the DVR so I don't miss it/them.

#192561 - 01/03/10 11:15 PM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Russ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
What every General or Admiral will, and has stated concerning an EMP attack, it's not a question of "if", but of "when".

An enemy has 1 nuke, is it going to get the "biggest bang for the buck" by being used against a large city (a few million dead) or in an EMP tactic to maximize the effectiveness such as making the nudet approximately 300 miles above Kansas.

That would creat an EMP wave that would cover the entire USofA, Southern Canada, and northern Mexico. We will have been pushed back to the early to mid 1800's. All computers and electrical generators will be fried.

It is still being debated whether automobiles built after 1971 (1972 to the present) will still work or not.

#192567 - 01/04/10 01:16 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Dagny]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Some societies just don't survive historic disasters or they ae at least radically altered so that they are unrecognizable as to the society that preceded the event. The black death in the European middle ages ended serfdom for example. As always there tends to be a silver lining to every dark cloud. It always pays to be optimistic rather then pessimistic, even in the direst of circumstances, probably because it helps you to become one of the folks who can and will see that silver lining.

#192577 - 01/04/10 03:54 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Some societies just don't survive historic disasters or they [are] at least radically altered so that they are unrecognizable as to the society that preceded the event."

That's how I visualize the U.S. during another Great Depression or after an EMP incident (accidental or deliberate).

All the people who have an umbilical cord to the TV, computer and games. All the people who seem to be totally lacking any iota of common sense. All the people who are so heavily dependent on the electrical and oil infrastructure. All the people who are so ignorant of ways and means to anything.

Scary, isn't it?

Sue

#192579 - 01/04/10 04:08 AM Re: History Ch: surviving historic disasters [Re: Susan]
sodak Offline
Addict

I don't worry about EMP's when I can worry about the next Carrington Event. No bad guys needed...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.