Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#192437 - 01/02/10 03:42 PM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: Todd W]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Todd W
I find myself needing a smooth blade, and also a completely serrated one. I was unfortunately not able to find a double sided folder that did both frown thus the two THIN knives. Maybe you guys have ideas?

What about SOG Bi-Polar (Serrated) BP-3? It has two blades - one plain and one fully serrated. Plus it has glass breaker.
http://sogknives.com/store/BP-3.html
I donīt own this knife so I canīt say if itīs good but itīs on my I-might-buy-this-in-the-future list.

#192440 - 01/02/10 05:08 PM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: raptor]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: raptor
Originally Posted By: Todd W
I find myself needing a smooth blade, and also a completely serrated one. I was unfortunately not able to find a double sided folder that did both frown thus the two THIN knives. Maybe you guys have ideas?

What about SOG Bi-Polar (Serrated) BP-3? It has two blades - one plain and one fully serrated. Plus it has glass breaker.
http://sogknives.com/store/BP-3.html
I donīt own this knife so I canīt say if itīs good but itīs on my I-might-buy-this-in-the-future list.

Good call raptor man!

http://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Knives-B...5618&sr=8-1

Only downfall is no pocket clip! I wonder if one can be adapted.

#192445 - 01/02/10 06:06 PM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: ]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Yeah, itīs a pity it doesnīt have a pocket clip. Anyway wouldnīt this knife be too heavy for ED pocket Carry? I, myself, tend to prefer thin and light knives when it comes to pocket carry and would consider this blade as a backup carried in the backpack etc. but a lot of people donīt mind the weight.

#192480 - 01/02/10 10:55 PM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: TheSock]
Matthew_L Offline

Loc: Rabat, Morocco
Thanks, all, for the comments. I don't yet have my replaced knives as my mail situation is complicated, but I am looking forward to getting them.

The clip on my Spyderco Dragonfly (the FRN model, a plastic clip integral with the scale) broke off while it was in my pants pocket clipped to the edge of my pocket. I was lifting and bending and moving things and I never found the broken clip, just found the knife in the bottom of my pocket with a jagged stub. This was unusual behavior for me, as my work days are suit and tie, so the knife was only lightly used.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any alternative Spyderco models in the same price range or less as I prefer a traditional lockback and not a liner lock. I realize the Ladybug is small, but I am hoping that the serrated edge will nonetheless be handy. I'll likely put a Bug on my keychain as my work knife (even the Dragonfly got some surprised looks from coworkers) and drop the Ladybug in my pocket on weekends.

Cheers,

Matthew

#192482 - 01/02/10 11:09 PM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: ]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
I have an original Endura and Delica, both with the plastic clips. They're almost 15 years old now and have held up pretty well. I probably carried each of them for at least a year's worth of days without breaking the clips. (Of course, the newer models are metal clips.)

Now I carry the Spyderco Caly 3, plain-edge with G-10 scales. It's a bit expensive (I paid $75 a few years ago), but it's an awesome knife. With more of a flat grind than the saber grind of the Delica and a little "convex edge" sharpening work, it push-cuts better than anything I've ever owned except maybe fresh razor or X-Acto blades. The wire pocket clip worried me at first, but it really doesn't feel or look as cheap as I thought it might. I really like how low it hangs, especially since I usually carry it inside my waistband instead of a pocket.

I should mention that I stopped carrying clip knives clipped onto pockets several years ago. The clips were always catching on things. Now I usually carry inside the waistband of my pants, with the clip underneath my belt. Very little of the knife is visible and it's almost impossible to snag the clip on anything. It's also been a lot easier on my pants - I was wearing out the corner of all the pockets. If I'm actively working on something where I might need my knife quickly, I just move it to the pocket then.

#192526 - 01/03/10 08:25 AM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Sorry to hear the 'uk legal' spyderco isn't up to scratch. So is there any way to carry a locking one handed opening knife in the UK?
The Sock

#192623 - 01/04/10 08:39 PM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: TheSock]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I'm with Ratbert, I've had my Endura at least 15 years and the plastic clip, the whole knife is still top notch. I don't think I've even sharpened it in a decade its still one of the sharpest knives I own.

#192650 - 01/05/10 12:00 PM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: TheSock]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: TheSock
Sorry to hear the 'uk legal' spyderco isn't up to scratch. So is there any way to carry a locking one handed opening knife in the UK?
The Sock

Well, you can carry anything if you can justify good reason - but as routine edc then no. I find the Byrd wings slipit works fine though for a lot of jobs, or there are friction folders like the Svord peasant - get the friction tang under your hand and its not going anywhere

#192651 - 01/05/10 12:23 PM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: bigreddog]
Matthew_L Offline

Loc: Rabat, Morocco
I was about to say, "I remember a kind of non-locking folding knife from the Ragweed Forge," but it appears to be the same Svord peasant knife mentioned by bigreddog.

http://ragweedforge.com/HistoricalKnifeCatalog.html#svord

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.