Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192330 - 01/01/10 12:47 PM Spyderco knife follow-up
Matthew_L Offline

Loc: Rabat, Morocco
A couple of months ago I asked the group for some EDC pocket knife recommendations, In the end I decided to treat myself to something nice and bought a Spyderco Dragonfly.

I was very happy with this very sharp, handy little knife (big enough to be useful but still discreet) until the plastic pocket clip integral with the handle broke off, leaving a sharp stub that I ground down. When contacted Spyderco, their customer service rep first offered to grind down the handle as a fix, but eventually agreed to let me return the knife for a credit.

Since none of the knives with metal pocket clips worked for me in terms of price or style (I don't like liner locks) I ended up going with the even smaller Ladybug model and using the remaining credit to get a couple of non-locking keychain-type knives (one Honeybee and two Bugs, to be specific). Now I must wait for the mail....

All this just to make the point that it is sometimes worth the money to buy quality from a company that stands behind their products. Spyderco did and I thought they deserved a public thank you from me.

Cheers,

Matthew

#192365 - 01/01/10 06:42 PM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Just as an FYI, my own favorite low-cost folding knife is the Ka Bar Dozier Folding Spear ($20).

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=KA4066

I bought them for my two kids (now 13 & 14 years old).

It uses torx-head screws to hold the clip and the thumb stud. I had to move both my lefty son.

Its a great low-cost knife.

#192397 - 01/02/10 12:47 AM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: Matthew_L]
LED Offline
Veteran

The Dragonfly is my favorite Spyderco design for EDC use. I know what you mean about the integrated plastic clip, and on some pants the seam is just too wide for it to fit over and stay put. Plus I don't want to break it. I also really like the Ladybug Salt H1 (serrated). Man, that's one tough little bugger and small enough to fit into a PSK.

#192400 - 01/02/10 01:25 AM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: Matthew_L]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I have had a Spyderco Endura for at least 8 years now, maybe longer. It has lasted very well with no malfunctions or breakages, although the paint has worn off the pocket clip.

I have been quite well satisfied with Spyderco and if I ever manage to wear this blade out I will gladly buy another one.
I am seriously considering buying one of the Doug Ritter designed Benchmade knives too.
When I look at the price over time they are dirt cheap if they stand up as well as my Spyderco has.

#192401 - 01/02/10 01:38 AM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: LED]
timo Offline

I'm glad you're happy with your Ladybug but I'm a little surprised. The Ladybug is a tiny knife.

I carried a Dragonfly everyday for at least 4 years. I can't imagine how the clip could break off unless I where climbing and/or rubbing against rough terrain with the possibility of actually snagging the clip. I never had a problem with my Michael Walker lightweight either. But apparently it can and does happen.

I went to the Dragonfly because the Ladybug was simply too small to get a good grip on to do jobs beyond opening envelops and small boxes.

After graduating to the Michael Walker lightweight I finally found a balance of size, grip and cutting power. In every case, after going to a larger knife I found myself wondering why I waited, and struggled for so long thinking I was saving money.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Ladybug. I still have my 20 year old one in one of my emergency kits. It's just that I have small hands (I'm 5'.4") and after I got over the concern for size and apperance of an EDC knife, a large knife was much better suited to many more tasks than the Ladybug could handle.

But I do agree with you about quality. My philosophy is to always consider going one step beyond what you think you need in terms of price, quality and size. If you "under spec." to save money you're going to bump up aginst limitations much sooner, and possibly at a really bad time.

My only problem now is the really freaking nice looking G10 handled version of the Dragonfly. I feel my wallet growing lighter as I type.
Happy New Year and Happy cutting with your Ladybug!

#192404 - 01/02/10 02:15 AM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: timo]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Just ordered my first Spyderco, the Spyderco C08S Harpy.

I plan to carry it with a second thin knife yet to be determined... one that has NO serrations. I find myself needing a smooth blade, and also a completely serrated one. I was unfortunately not able to find a double sided folder that did both frown thus the two THIN knives. Maybe you guys have ideas?

-Todd

#192416 - 01/02/10 04:27 AM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: Todd W]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have not invoked Spyderco's warranty; mostly, I have been quite happy with their product.

I have a "Delica Clipit" that is at least 15 years old and is still going strong. The blade is pretty heavily worn, and I tapped a screw through the clip to increase its gripping power, but it keeps on trucking.

I also have a nice, thin Endura (IIRC) synthetic handle that has been in my pocket for a large number of backcountry trips. Thin, light, razor sharp. Love it.

There's a Ladybug (I think) on my keychain. Great little sharp for day-to-day cuts, and doesn't freak out the folks around you.

My major beef with some of the Spydercos is that the backspring is too weak in some of them. If you're cutting rope or boxes, who cares; but if you're using a hammer grip to carve wood, the backspring will stick up under pressure and give you a nasty cut/blister between your thumb and forefinger. Grr! I have taken a diamond file and rounded off those nasty protrusions on two Spydercos, built decades apart. Argh!

I like the current design, which adds a steel reinforcement to the synthetic handles. I never entirely trusted the Spyderco clan for serious abuse until they did this.

BTW, I scored two Byrd Cara Caras for a great price just before the midnight cutoff (end of year sale). They're not officially Spydercos, but I have a hard time telling the difference. Thin, light, sharp, with more reserve strength and a great pocket clip. Love 'em!

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/02/10 04:29 AM)

#192422 - 01/02/10 05:12 AM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: KenK]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
[quote=KenK]Just as an FYI, my own favorite low-cost folding knife is the Ka Bar Dozier Folding Spear ($20).

Yes, three cheers for the ka bar dozier's. I own the spyderco delica and the tenacious, but I much prefer the several dozier's I have. Great value. and easy to switch over the thumb stud and clip for my use, as I'm a lefty.

#192425 - 01/02/10 08:22 AM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: tomfaranda]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Anyone got experience of the Spyderco UK legal? As far as I knows it's the only 'locking' blade I can carry in England>
The Sock

#192426 - 01/02/10 08:52 AM Re: Spyderco knife follow-up [Re: TheSock]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: TheSock
Anyone got experience of the Spyderco UK legal? As far as I knows it's the only 'locking' blade I can carry in England>
The Sock

Yes, being U.K resident. Don't. It's overpriced rubbish that will close on your fingers. The so called halfway stop is only minimally effective. Detent is not deep enough. It should require at least twice as much force to close. It's only good point is that you can open it one handed. I've binned it in faviour of either a SwissChamp or a SAK Farmer.

If you want a gentlemans pocket knife, may I suggest Case knives?

http://www.heinnie.com/v9pXsa969889/Knives/Case/c-1-92-716/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.