The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#192092 - 12/29/09 04:28 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: ]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Maybe a pack of cards, and teach him to play solitaire or other game. Or maybe his favorite book, the pages can be used as tinder. Toys may be too much of a distraction when his senses would need to be on high alert in a real BOB situation.

#192103 - 12/29/09 05:33 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Dagny]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: Russ
Geez I hate sporks. As spoons they leak and the tines are too short to be a decent fork. Give me a real fork and spoon any day. The only thing I use a spork for is stirring the pot.

I keep plastic sporks in my glove compartment.

They come in handy at Taco Bell, sitting in the parking lot dealing with crunchy tacos.

I didn't realize there was enough to evoke hatred about sporks - are you talking about the Taco Bell sporks or the more commercial type, ex. http://www.countycomm.com/spork.htm?

FWIW a spork is designed to be a compromise from the get-go, I accept that and sporks are okay with me. I haven't noticed that the spoon leaks, and while the fork tines are a little shorter than a fork they pick up noodles and chicken which is about all I ever eat with a spork. My peeve: I'd like a left-handed spork, with the cutting edge on the other side of the fork.

#192106 - 12/29/09 05:51 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Lono]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Never tried one of the plastic fork or spoon things, they didn't seem particularly ergonomic. I was referring to
or .
As a spoon they leak out the front so really carry less than they should. . .and then you stab yourself. Used as a fork, the food falls off those short tines, usually somewhere other than back on the plate. So yeah, I have other than fond feelings for sporks wink

#192107 - 12/29/09 05:58 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Lono]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I am a proud Spork Dork.

I have Light My Fire's panoply of cheerfully colored sporks (really a double-ended spoon-fork-serrated edge device), the Light My Fire Serving Spork, the REI Titanium Folding Spork, and a plain 'ol titanium spork (a full-tang?)

I sport sporks in my car, backpack and purse.

The Spork is a compromise. And it beat fingers for scooping up taco extrusion.

Sporks are inefficient with spaghetti or linguini. Or fettucini.

America is a fat country, perhaps sporks should be mandated.

Attachments
spork 1.jpg

spork 2.jpg

spork 3.jpg

Spork 4.jpg

#192115 - 12/29/09 07:02 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I'd rather have a real spoon and chopsticks. I can always make a new set of chopsticks.

#192163 - 12/30/09 03:52 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Russ]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Yeah, I can see that. I had in mind the Light My fire style spork, which doesn't have the fork tines on the end of the soup spoon. Try one, you might like it - and at least for a hobo knife replacement its a possibility.

#192165 - 12/30/09 04:20 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Lono]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Yeah but, I already have a couple sets of $2.50 REI Chefware Utensils which at 1.25 ounces is a better deal than a $3 Light My Fire Spork even if the spork only weighs .2 ounces. That ounce of weight comes at too high a price. Certain things like a handle that isn't covered in whatever you were just eating is something I'd prefer to not give up. cool

BTW, a bit more spendy than the polymer-wear, but titanium is very good stuff and it won't melt or burn in a fire.
MY-TI™ Titanium Flatware
Snow Peak Titanium Silverware
I got my titanium sets at REI before they went to the dark side.

#192273 - 12/31/09 01:49 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Russ]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
One thing I included in my 6 year old's backpack is a lanyard I made for her out of red paracord (she loves the color) and heat shrink tubing (for a break away). On it I put a whistle and a small pelican LED flashlight. She loves it and insists on wearing it every time we go hiking. Her backpack contains most of the things listed already, although we keep an extra change of clothes in there as well. She likes to cross and play around creeks, so the chance of her getting soaked is pretty good.

Greg

#192386 - 01/01/10 10:19 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
My thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions!!!!

I've now modified the list of items based on everyone's input:

*****’s BoB

MISCELLANEOUS: Small Backpack, 2 bandannas, 100ft Paracord, 1 gal and 1 qt Ziplock bags, pen & memo book, playing cards, small roll of Duct Tape, Survival Bandanna, Pocket Field Guides/Medicinal Plants, Edible Plants, & Animal Tracks, 4 Clothespin, Little green army men, Towel/wash rag

COMMUNICATIONS: whistle, signal mirror, small Flashlight/2 sets of batteries, 2 cell Flashlight/2 sets of batteries, Headlamp/2 sets of batteries, large FM radio receiver (dollar store)/2 sets of batteries, Chalk, 5 gal Ziplock bags to store everything in,

SHELTER: space blanket, light sleeping bag, car travel wool blanket/pillow, small tarp, a large (50 gal) trash bag, a Touque, Wide brimmed hat, A poncho,

WATER: water purification tablets, 2 qt canteen,

FOOD: 2 MRE's (w/heaters), commercial Mess Kit (frying pan, dish, pot/lid), Metal camping cup, HoBo knife, 1 pkg of Datrex or MainStay rations, 1 bag of hard candy, granola and power bars, US Army Camp Jack Knife, Several packs of instant Grits,

HEAT: 4 Hand Warmers,

FAK: Sunscreen, Chap Stick,

NAVIGATION: Compass, Louisiana road map/Ziplock bag, A roll of bright surveyor's tape,

SANITATION: Toilet Paper/Ziplock bag, Wet Ones,

Engrave the date, on those items that are applicable.

I will be modifying this list as I see what the weight is growing to. To the one who mentioned that I call this "His Camping Stuff", I totally agree!!!! And yes, this is meant to be used for camping but to be carried with him as he goes on trips.

Thanks again for everyone's input!!!

#193259 - 01/11/10 09:35 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: wildman800]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: wildman800
Several packs of instant Grits

Well, well... instant grits? Okay, I guess some accomodations must be made to the disaster. But you're raisin' that boy wrong feeding him instant grits like that... :-)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.