Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#192027 - 12/28/09 09:17 PM Bad GPS Directions Strand Couple for 3 Days
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Here is the article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-stranded-motorists,0,6801317.story

Basically, the couple, driving from Oregon to Reno, followed their SUV's navigation system (GPS) directions and turned onto a (presumably unplowed) Forest Service road, driving for 35 miles until they got stuck in 1.5 feet of snow. On the third day they got enough cell signal to call for help.

#192029 - 12/28/09 09:24 PM Re: Bad GPS Directions Strand Couple for 3 Days [Re: ]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
How freaking stupid are people? To blindly follow an electronic device's "advise' versus using the Mark1 Eyeball and seeing the road isn't plowed... makes you wonder.

Makes me so glad I don't own a stupid GPS for car use and I learned how to read maps a long time ago.

#192030 - 12/28/09 09:36 PM Re: Bad GPS Directions Strand Couple for 3 Days [Re: JBMat]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: JBMat
How freaking stupid are people?

I'm not overly surprised a couple in their late 60's are unfamiliar with the limits of new technology. But they were at least smart enough to carry emergency supplies in their SUV to see them through.

"The couple was well-equipped for winter travel, carrying food, water and warm clothes, the sheriff said.

"Their statement was, being prepared saved their life," he said."

Edited by Jeff_M (12/28/09 09:42 PM)

#192034 - 12/28/09 10:09 PM Re: Bad GPS Directions Strand Couple for 3 Days [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
GPS systems give guidance, not direction. I routinely drive a route contrary to the route provided by the GPS just so I can hear the Garmin Nuvi voice speak that very disappointed, "recalculating" wink

#192036 - 12/28/09 10:16 PM Re: Bad GPS Directions Strand Couple for 3 Days [Re: ]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
If I recall this was also how that one guy (The Asian fellow from CNET TV) and his family got lost. They were told by the GPS to take some road despite the fact the road closes in the winter time.

That was James Kim in the mountains of Oregon. He ended up dying of hypothermia when he attempted to walk out.

In my rural area, trying to go by directions given on Yahoo and Google maps or GPS will often send you down old logging roads - even abandoned roads - that show clearly on maps but no longer exist or are poorly maintained in reality.

In the United States if you are trying to get from City A to City B and you find yourself traveling on a rutted dirt road, you would probably be better off turning around and asking a local for a better route!

#192042 - 12/28/09 10:46 PM Re: Bad GPS Directions Strand Couple for 3 Days [Re: KenK]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands

#192045 - 12/28/09 11:11 PM Re: Bad GPS Directions Strand Couple for 3 Days [Re: clearwater]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Santa put a Garmin Nuvi in my stocking. Quoting from the front page of the "Important Safety and Product Information" instructions included with the unit:

Failure to avoid the following potentially hazardous situations could result in an accident or collision resulting in death or serious injury.
When navigating, carefully compare information displayed on the unit to all available navigation sources, including information from street signs, visual sightings, and maps. For safety, always resolve any discrepancies or questions before continuing navigation and defer to posted road signs.
Always operate the vehicle ina safe manner. Do not become distracted by the unit while driving, and always be fully aware of all driving conditions.
The unit is designed to provide route suggestions. It is not designed to replace the need for driver attentiveness regarding road closures or road conditions, traffic congestion, weather conditions, or other factors that may affect safety while driving.
(emphasis is theirs)

This sounded like "common sense" to me. Apparently not.

Edited by UncleGoo (12/28/09 11:12 PM)

#192046 - 12/28/09 11:25 PM Re: Bad GPS Directions Strand Couple for 3 Days [Re: KenK]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This will not be the first time or the last.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News...200903415248539

The world is full of stupid people.

Although I always wonder how people actually cope with todays technology, considering the huge majority have absolutely no comprehension about how todays modern technology actually works. Do many folks have a witchcraft or magic model of reasoning in their heads to explain the unexplainable?

Perhaps the fellow in the above story could legally argue that his talking GPS had been telling him the truth for the many months he had previously owned his talking GPS navigation system then on that day suddendly began to lie to him for no apparent reason that he could fathom.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/28/09 11:29 PM)

#192047 - 12/28/09 11:38 PM Re: Bad GPS Directions Strand Couple for 3 Days [Re: UncleGoo]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
One thing that helps a lot with the Nuvi is the traffic receiver. I don't know how it handles seasonal road closures but for rerouting around traffic in metro areas like Los Angeles and warning about delays due to accidents and construction, it's great.

I may contact Garmin to see how it is supposed to deal with seasonal closures. Those may be outside the high traffic areas covered by the traffic receiver so they may not show up as closed. Hmmm

#192048 - 12/28/09 11:50 PM Re: Bad GPS Directions Strand Couple for 3 Days [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
From the article:

"In the town of Silver Lake, the unit told them to turn right on Forest Service Road 28, and they followed that and some spur roads nearly 35 miles before getting stuck in about 1½ feet of snow..."

Maybe I've traveled more than some people, but I don't take forest service roads unless I'm sure that I'm supposed to. And I don't take them in winter. "Forest + Service + Road"... what does that imply?

Like the Sheriff said, "It [GPS] will give you options to pick the shortest route. You certainly get the shortest route. But it may not be a safe route."

At least they had the sense to take useful supplies with them. They did something dumb, but the smart things they did made a definite difference.

Hint: If you're traveling in unfamiliar areas, esp in snow, and there aren't a lot of tire tracks, it's always a good idea to get some advice before you proceed. And if you have to move boulders out of the road (like the Kims did), you are definitely in the wrong place.

Sue

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.