Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#192002 - 12/28/09 12:37 PM Building a BoB for an 8 yr old...
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Greetings, I am starting a BoB for my 8 year old nephew. Here's the list that I have already put together:

MISCELLANEOUS: small backpack, 2 bandannas, small FAK, commercial Mess Kit (frying pan, dish, pot/lid, plastic cup), HoBo knife, 100ft Paracord, US Army Camp Jack Knife, Compass, Louisiana road map, Toilet Paper, Wet Ones,

COMMUNICATIONS: whistle, signal mirror, Flashlight, FM radio receiver (dollar store),

SHELTER: space blanket, light sleeping bag, car travel wool blanket/pillow, small tarp,

WATER: water purification tablets, 2 qt canteen,

FOOD: 2 MRE's (w/heaters), 1 pkg of Datrex or MainStay rations,

HEAT: 4 Hand Warmers,

I'm leaving fire making things off of the list. His Dad is the one to judge when he's ready for that.

Any suggestions are welcome!!!

#192004 - 12/28/09 01:38 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: wildman800]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
How about a pad of paper and some crayons? Might help him to sit still and wait, if he needs to. Or for messages, or to make waxed paper for tinder, when he gets to that point. Lucky kid!

#192017 - 12/28/09 04:32 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: UncleGoo]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
About the 8 year old:
- road map: can he read it, know where he is, or use it to go where he needs to go?
compass: can he take a bearing, and navigate (with the road map)?
mess kit: nice, but you've given him 2 MREs, mess kit not necessary for that.
MREs: I'm sure he has seen uncle wildman heat up an MRE, knows how do to it himself?
Tarp: does he know how to create a shelter for/by himself?
2 knives: 8 year old, I know in LA they're all outdoorsmen, but are you sure he knows how to use a knife safely?
Hand warmers: every 8 year old loves these; for pure hand warming, also give him a pair of cheap fleece gloves.

Maybe add:
Clothing: kids can get by with what they have on, and LA is pretty warm most times. A hat to protect from the sun. Consider a sweater, change of underwear, and socks in the kit. Keeping BOB clothing current is really hard for young kids, they grow out of them every 3-6 months.
Trash Compactor bag: line the backpack and keep most of the clothing and bedding dry in the event of rain.
Rain parka: here I'm ignorant of LA weather and what folks do, but here in the PNW we put a premium on staying dry all the time.

Total weight on BOB: where do you expect the 8 yr old to bug out to, how far does he carry this kit?

Good kit, great gift: it looks like he is either a budding outdoorsman, or would benefit from some hands on instruction to go along with the BOB.

#192018 - 12/28/09 04:44 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Lono]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
To pick-up from where Lono left off. . . it may not be your intent, but I wouldn't put anything in the BOB that your 8 year old nephew doesn't know how to use or that you aren't going to teach him how/when to use. At this age education is more important than stuff.

What you have listed will be more than enough as a start. Next either you or his dad will need to take him for a long walk with the intent of his using everything in the pack. Teach him land nav and orienteering. Kids that age suck up training and information like a sponge sucks up water. No trick questions, just show him how it works and let him find success.

Quote:
MISCELLANEOUS: small backpack, 2 bandannas, small FAK, commercial Mess Kit (frying pan, dish, pot/lid, plastic cup), HoBo knife, 100ft Paracord, US Army Camp Jack Knife, Compass, Louisiana road map, Toilet Paper, Wet Ones,

COMMUNICATIONS: whistle, signal mirror, Flashlight, FM radio receiver (dollar store),

SHELTER: space blanket, light sleeping bag, car travel wool blanket/pillow, small tarp,

WATER: water purification tablets, 2 qt canteen,

FOOD: 2 MRE's (w/heaters), 1 pkg of Datrex or MainStay rations,

HEAT: 4 Hand Warmers,

#192019 - 12/28/09 05:16 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
A hat. An extra flashlight and extra batteries for flashlights and radio receiver.

#192032 - 12/28/09 10:02 PM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: wildman800]
paradocs Offline
Stranger

Loc: East Tennessee

Toys. Toys. Toys.

8 year old boys are easily bored.

#192056 - 12/29/09 01:04 AM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: paradocs]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Toys? In a Red Cross shelter or something to combat boredom during a disaster, yes. For everyday, no. Now it's time to let his brain function and learn something useful... for a change.

Sue

#192057 - 12/29/09 01:07 AM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Susan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Bo, how about a metal cup instead of plastic? And a roll of bright surveyor's tape.

If he's old enough to handle a knife, he's old enough to learn about fire. Talk to his dad and see who wants to do the teaching.

Sue

#192058 - 12/29/09 01:59 AM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: Susan]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Some great suggestions.

No, he doesn't know how to use most of this stuff.

His Dad and I have taken him camping once and he loved it. We're taking him camping between now and his birthday and will start teaching him how to navigate and how to use his other equipment.

I included the mess gear because he may have to evacuate and may need personal mess gear. When we take him camping, he'll start learning how to cook also. The HoBo knife is a knife, fork, spoon kit (eating utensils).

Yes, we have a lot to teach him but I want to train him with his own gear!

Thanks Sue, I'll swap the plastic cup with a metal camping cup!

Please keep the ideas coming so I can add subtract from the list I've started.

#192066 - 12/29/09 03:46 AM Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... [Re: ]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
I was thinking of army men before I read Izzy's post! Not a BoB item, but a learning toy. That and an erector set. Good toys are tools to develop skills and ways of thinking.

As a youngster I would watch "Mission Impossible" (TV series), and construct or try to construct similar types of things. Lots of fun, and somehow didn't lead to life as a secret agent.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.