The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#191256 - 12/18/09 05:48 PM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: scafool]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
turbo - no military experience but plenty of time in a hole shoveling, mostly for homes under construction. A full size shovel is the only way to go, if I have to use one at all wink I'd rather plow!

Believe me, I know the image of my girlfriend laying on the ground getting her car unstuck is pretty horrible and scary, and frankly unless it is some kind of emergency she'll never do it, but that's what this is for, that emergency situation. Like the folder I've had in my trunk, it is just slightly better than my hands. It has been in my trunk since 2002 and the first time I used it was for the photo I posted earlier in the thread. Anytime I expect I'm going to need a real shovel, I'll have one, and so will she.

And hopefully some bibs and a waterproof jacket too! The one time I had to change a tire on a highway I was in full dress, tie, etc, threw on a pair of sailing bibs and rubber boots I had in the trunk, changed the tire, and was totally clean after. Awesome wink

Thanks though, all good points!

R

#191354 - 12/20/09 05:59 AM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: roberttheiii]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
You've just reminded me of something I used to carry and never do anymore - coveralls. Used to carry a 1 piece jumpsuit type, air force surplus mechanics cotton outfit. Worked great for crawling under stuff and not ruining your clothes. Much nicer than the heavy poly blends that I see in the stores.

#191371 - 12/20/09 03:34 PM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: UpstateTom]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Yeah, I don't always carry bibs, but very often. I've got them w/me now for sure! As for top, I usually have a jacket I'm not too worried about.

#191373 - 12/20/09 03:36 PM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: UpstateTom]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
Everyone on here must be money rich kit junkies.

Whats wrong with a standard builders shovel? They are cheep, far stronger than any snow shovel and get the job done. More importantly they far more ergonomic and easier to use.

If you want evidence of this fact speak to any professionals that are involved in avalanche rescue.

#191418 - 12/21/09 07:59 AM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: PureSurvival]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: PureSurvival

Rich: No Kit junkie: Yes smile

The cost of my metal foldable "Nato" shovel (for hard snow/ice): ~$15.
The cost of my "ortovox" copy look-al-like compact shovel (for the not so compact snow): ~$15.

Remember, prices in my country are VERY inflated compared to the US, where it should be roughly $15 for both of them if found at similar places / bargains that I found here.

Whats wrong with a standard builders shovel?

Too big and too heavy. Every day routines will be too cumbersome if I have to lug this thing around. With my setup, the shovels are ready at hand, but invisible and don't take up cargo or passenger space.

They are cheep, far stronger than any snow shovel and get the job done. More importantly they far more ergonomic and easier to use.

+1 on that, except on the "cheap" part: A decent builders shovel will cost much more than $30 where I live... If it doesn't it is junk and not worth buying (at least not for its intended purpose).

If you want evidence of this fact speak to any professionals that are involved in avalanche rescue.

Avalanche snow is very compact and very hard. The next time someone has cleared any snow with heavy equipment, take a look at the snow pile they created. (Not the two week old stuff - but the pile created this morning). That's about how hard an avalanche will turn once it has had time to settle. To get through that you need something really stout.

If I ever think I need a shovel I will bring a good one. My car EDC setup is for whenever I don't think I need any shovel, which actually is most of the time. My car EDC tools are there at any time to get the job done - not as quickly and ergonomic as a proper shovel, but done nevertheless.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (12/21/09 10:27 AM)

#191425 - 12/21/09 01:20 PM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: MostlyHarmless]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

PureSurvival - I agree, standard spade is the best. If I'm jumping in a plow truck, its what I've got w/me, if I'm driving around in a snow storm in my Subaru it is what I've got w/me. Problem is to keep it in my Subaru all the time I have to keep a seat folded down, can't but as much stuff in the trunk area, etc. Given my choice in tools to get a car unstuck, that's it, well, that's or another vehichle to rip it out w/ wink Which is why I carry a stow strap...maybe I'll post my tow strap in a new thread!

#191472 - 12/21/09 06:12 PM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: roberttheiii]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
Lol in the UK I think the most expensive builders shovel is a lot cheaper the the cheapest snow shovel.

Yeah I agree that space can be a problem but I don't see any reason why a builders spade cant be added just before any snow event or if travelling into a snow area.

#191503 - 12/22/09 01:29 AM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: PureSurvival]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

You must have missed the part where I advocated a simple spade. I would have said long-handled (builders) shovel but they can be hard to fit neatly into a trunk or behind a seat.

I'm also cheap. I'm not impressed by name-brands or gimmicks and don't think that anyone 'gets what they pay for'. I've seen too much high-dollar gear fail and, even more commonly, reveal itself to be no better than gear sold at half the price. Often less.

The really good news is that even department store camping gear is far better now than it was ten years ago. I've seen backpacks selling for less than $100 that are functionally as good as stuff sold by major names for $300 and up. If your careful and selective you can get high quality, reliability and durability for short money.

Also while snow shovels designed for and typically sold to campers and skiers are indeed pricey the ones sold at hardware stores in snow country are not any more expensive, sometimes cheaper, than a 'builders shovel'.

#191515 - 12/22/09 04:01 AM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: Art_in_FL]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Cheap snow shovels around here are probably about $20. They sell them in supermarkets.

#191912 - 12/27/09 06:33 AM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: UpstateTom]
Steve Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
I carry an army surplus shovel in my car, and it helped with something as routine as having a flat tire. After I pulled off on the shoulder, the combination of reduced clearance due to the flat tire, plus something about the curvature of the shoulder, did not leave enough room for the car jack to fit. I was able to dig out 6 or so inches of soil and get on with changing the tire. For things like that the tradeoff of smaller size vs. a more optimal long handle seems reasonable.

Snow is not as much of an issue in my part of NC USA but if it were I'd also carry a snow shovel. During winter I keep a bag of sand in the trunk to deal with what I see more of: ice and ice/snow mixtures. I started doing that after I was stuck in the parking lot at work. I went back to my cubicle and got my potted plants and dumped the soil under the wheels and that got me going. I forget whether I re-potted the plants blush

Steve

Edited by Steve (12/27/09 06:34 AM)

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 224 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.