The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#191374 - 12/20/09 03:46 PM Favorite Winter Hat
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
What's your favorite winter hat? I vote the Filson Wildfowl - I have one in both Tin Cloth and Shelter Cloth. Pricey? For sure. But they're just so great in adverse weather, from rain to snow to wind. One caveat, it should be cold weather, if its over say 40F or 45F out, you don't want this this on. Also, much below zero and I'd want an insulated hood, but that's just preference I think.

Yay snow today!

#191376 - 12/20/09 04:24 PM Re: Favorite Winter Hat [Re: roberttheiii]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I go for either a parka hood or a Seattle Sombrero (the SS keeps the snowflakes off my glasses in most conditions). If it cools off I will put either of these over a watch cap or a balaclava. I am playing around with a gadget that slips over the bill of a ball cap and covers up your ears - it still leaves the blood vessels in your neck exposed, but it has promise.

#191378 - 12/20/09 04:26 PM Re: Favorite Winter Hat [Re: hikermor]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i have a poly baseball cap for general use..in the car going to the store,that sort of thing.beyond that its a watch cap under a hooded parka.

#191380 - 12/20/09 04:59 PM Re: Favorite Winter Hat [Re: CANOEDOGS]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I primarily use a Headsweats brand beanie. Though I recently picked up a great felt cowboy hat keeps me surprisingly warm with lots of sun protection. I tend to only wear the cowboy hat on the trail and not around town.

#191381 - 12/20/09 07:23 PM Re: Favorite Winter Hat [Re: comms]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I'm wearing wool balaclava with visor for all of my snow trips. It converts to a nice looking Jeep cap when folded up, very adjustable to different weather, easily pocketable, lightweight, but warm and breathable. I bought it from some paper catalog very cheap 9 years ago - it's my favorite winter headwear still.

#191397 - 12/21/09 12:06 AM Re: Favorite Winter Hat [Re: Alex]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A high-quality poly-fleeced, bomber style hat with a breathable but watertight shell. It looks like crap, I think it makes me look like a Canadian rube (As opposed to the Florida cracker that I am) but unless I look into a mirror it doesn't bother me.

It keeps the cold winter wind and rain off me and the flip-down ear flap, that also covers the back of the neck, really helps.

I also have a windproof water resistant skull cap that covers the head from the brow to the base of the neck. It fits tight and looks positively medieval but it folds very compactly and tucks into a coat pocket and fits under a hardhat.

#191401 - 12/21/09 12:35 AM Re: Favorite Winter Hat [Re: Art_in_FL]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Turtle Fur Beanie.

If it's raining or snowing then I have a unknown brand GoreTex boonie style hat I like to keep the wet/snow/rain off me and from soaking in.. sometimes they are worn together but not often.

#191406 - 12/21/09 02:09 AM Re: Favorite Winter Hat [Re: Todd W]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Well first of all if it really cold the hood on my parka followed by the hood on my fleece hoody (poly fleece not cotton) are my all time favourites.

Then it is a watch cap/balaclava. It can be worn both ways. I have a few of these things.
I have one balaclava that is thin and almost like thick silk. It fits in a pocket really well, and it works as a watch cap, a balaclava or as a helmet liner.
I prefer the balaclavas with the large opening for the face instead of the ones with separate openings for the mouth and eyes. The open face ones do not frost up as bad in the cold.

I do like the watch caps. I will say wool are nice but I have used synthetics for years and they work better for me.

I was never a great fan of the long toques because the extra material is too much extra bulk for what it does. I would rather take a decent cashmere scarf instead of the extra tail on the toque even though the red toques and sashes are traditional for the Bonhomme Carnaval.

If it is not really cold then it is a wide brim Stetson or a Tilley.

#191409 - 12/21/09 02:52 AM Re: Favorite Winter Hat [Re: scafool]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
My USGI black navy wool watch cap is my favorite.But it has to be like arctic cold for me to wear it.I hate wearing hats normally.

BOATMAN
John

#191412 - 12/21/09 04:23 AM Re: Favorite Winter Hat [Re: boatman]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I am in total agreement.

I have started wearing a wide flat brim hat (almost a cowboy hat) that is ventilated for the summer months. It keeps the sun out of my eyes and absorbs sweat in a great fashion.

The only hat that I ever liked wearing was the Garrison Cap. I still have a few but it just wouldn't be right to wear that in public, with civvies.

Edited by wildman800 (12/21/09 04:24 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.