Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#191550 - 12/22/09 03:20 PM Yaesu VX-8R as emergency receiver
MichaelC Offline
Stranger

How good is a radio like this as a means of receiving information during an emergency as opposed to dedicated devices such as a weather radio from oregon scientific, and/or a shortwave radio from eton? I want to be able to receive am/fm/shortwave and weather.

How is it for general listening, like say if I just want to listen to a radio show?

I don't have a radio at all now, except for the am/fm in my car. I've researched models from eton and sony, but the Yaesu seems to have most all of the features I want in one device along with the ability to transmit. Here are some of the other radios I've considered:

Sony ICF-SW7600GR
Eton FR600

I think the sony is the only one with SSB. How important is that?

#191552 - 12/22/09 03:57 PM Re: Yaesu VX-8R as emergency receiver [Re: MichaelC]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The Yaesu is a decent enough deal. You should be able to find one for around $400 or so new. Bear in mind that any handheld is going to be a bit more of a compromise, and the little unit will certainly fare much better if you utilize a long wire receiving antenna for the lower end of the coverage spectrum.

Since it is also a transeiver at 2 meter and 70 cm bands, that does add to the desirability, especially for someone with a ham license. This is definitely not a consumer electronics item; it was meant for a bit more wear and tear than the Sony and the Eton. You get what you pay for. Battery life might be an issue, so consider an alternate charging system if you go handheld anyways.

#191560 - 12/22/09 04:52 PM Re: Yaesu VX-8R as emergency receiver [Re: MichaelC]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Yaesu looks a bit too pricey for my blood. I'm sure it does everything but tie your shoes but I don't really think i need all that. Not sure about your other questions or variability between products (features, quality, ruggedness, etc) but the Sony looks like the better bet to me for an economical radio.

#191561 - 12/22/09 04:57 PM Re: Yaesu VX-8R as emergency receiver [Re: benjammin]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I have a Yaesu VX-7R, am not familiar with the 8R, but:

- its a ham radio, do you have a ham ticket? Otherwise transmitting on most of the available frequencies would be illegal and unavailable to you.
- if you are a ham, you should find out the frequencies used by responding ham organizations, or organizations that utilize ham comms in their response. Ideally you should get involved with them too.
- the 7R picks up commercial frequencies AM/FM just fine, although I think its a little overkill for listening to talk radio, music etc
- no police scanner frequencies that I'm aware of; I sometimes can catch the Washington State Patrol on a non-emergency frequency
- the 7R also has all the local NOAA weather channels, although it has no SAME or EAS capability (don't know, but the 8R probably doesn't have them either).
- the 7R and 8R are both legitimately waterproof and extremely durable, with good-great battery life from my experience. Get a new antenna and an ARRL frequency directory to hook into the local repeater scene.
- I'm not a ham wonk and Yaesu's are notoriously difficult to program. I barely made it through with the ARRL frequency directory software that programmed most of my frequencies for me. (RANT - why the HELL does ham radio insist on being so difficult for new hams?? I'm not talking about getting my ticket from the FCC. Make programming the things easier, and people may use your friggin frequencies for something other than talking about the weather and whatever ham get togethers you attended in the last week.)
- compared to an oregon scientific weather radio: the thing that aggravates me about the OS handheld is it didn't come with a plug in option, so whatever batteries I put in it started draining from the minute I put them in. I much prefer an ETON style weather radio with the windup and solar options, those you can depend on if you need them. I can't even tell you where my Oregon Scientific radio is these days, not a great purchase.

Net net, $400 is alot for a weather radio - it begins to make sense if you also use the 7R/8R for emergency communications with family, friends, or local organizations.

#191562 - 12/22/09 05:04 PM Re: Yaesu VX-8R as emergency receiver [Re: benjammin]
Doug_SE_MI Offline

Loc: Michigan
A Yaesu VX-7R has been a part of my EDC for almost two years now. I've used it as weather receiver during my commutes in both winter weather advisory and tornado warning conditions. It is also handy to pick up CB channel 19 chatter when traffic on I-96 comes to a screeching halt and the traffic reports haven't picked it up yet. Oh yeah, can even listen to the traffic copter's off air updates.

Rugged, water resistant (I've doused mine with no ill effect). Battery life on receive is great and you can get a battery adapter that permits full receive and low power transmit using AAs.

Save some money and get the VX-7R or VX-6R, or better yet the VX-3R, if all you really want is the receive, and don't need the GPS, ARPS (Amateur Radio Positioning System) and other advanced amateur radio capabilities. Both radios have pretty much the same wide-band receive capability and dual-band transmit. Get the Amateur Technician license and you'll be surprised how often you might actually talk as well as listen.

The other recommendation I'd make is an after-market antenna. I have two Diamonds, a dual band I use most of the time and a 19" tri-band that also provides amazing (for a hand-held whip) receive on the short-wave bands. And I have a small mag-mount with 10' cable in the commuter van.

I don't own a VX-3R, but my friend, N8TZQ, does. As a wide-band receiver (with the right antenna) it is very nice and <$150. And like the more expensive VX-8R, it does stereo FM with head-phones. It's transmit capability is more limited, but it does still transmit too.

Doug
AC8BY

#191566 - 12/22/09 05:30 PM Re: Yaesu VX-8R as emergency receiver [Re: Doug_SE_MI]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
My "emergency radio" is a police scanner. The State Patrol and many local agencies even broadcast weather alerts so their people are informed.

When listening to State Patrol and snowplows I'm hearing it straight from the responders in real time. Not wondering how many more commercials before the AM station will get to the weather and traffic report (and not cover my area at all).

(I've been a ham since 1971 and the above is my choice.)

#191568 - 12/22/09 06:00 PM Re: Yaesu VX-8R as emergency receiver [Re: unimogbert]
MichaelC Offline
Stranger

I hadn't thought of a scanner, but that's a good idea. Do you have any recommendations?

#191575 - 12/22/09 08:10 PM Re: Yaesu VX-8R as emergency receiver [Re: MichaelC]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
The VX-7 or 8R are both fantastic radios IF you are a technical geek. If you can't read the first 50 pages of the manual, buy a high end scanner. The VX will have limited range of reception for what you are wanting to do.

If you want to transmit, list the ten friends that can receive you and ask them about their transceivers.

I have an ICOM-R8500 Scanner running 24/7 with a roof mounted Discone antenna. While mobile, it is truck or Yahama Rhino mounted. I carry a frequency counter in case I see someone on a radio very close. I turn it on and it locks up on the strongest signal in the area. That combinations is excellent for emergencies you are involved in.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#191578 - 12/22/09 08:21 PM Re: Yaesu VX-8R as emergency receiver [Re: MichaelC]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
A handheld transceiver is overkill if you're not a licensed amateur radio operator. I'd suggest looking into the Icom receiver line.

I have a Yaesu 7R, and my wife has the 5R; we also have the Icom R5 for our receive-only listening pleasure. The R5 seems to be current, but Icom has an RX7 out now, and the R20 which is a scanner. The R5 runs on AAs, which I figure I can scavange anywhere.

Check here:
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/receivers/handheld/r5/default.aspx
for the R5 page, but across the top you'll see links to the other two receivers. Each page has links to the manual for that receiver, which I recommend downloading and reading before purchase.

(On my R5, TV channels are the old analogue ones, not current digital frequencies. Ic don't know if they've updated the radios.)

> the Yaesu seems to have most all of the features I want in one device along
> with the ability to transmit.

If you don't have a license, don't transmit. Seriously. Non-hams in Manhattan were screwing up the ham nets used to maintain communications between fire, police, red cross, and shelters. They were trying to help, but they made things very much worse.

#191586 - 12/22/09 10:10 PM Re: Yaesu VX-8R as emergency receiver [Re: philip]
MichaelC Offline
Stranger

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I understand the need for a license and I plan to get the Technician license if I get a transceiver. My interest in ham radio is what led me to look at the Yaesu to begin with.

I don't think it's going to be possible to find one device that does everything I want. I'll probably be better off buying separate devices targeted towards specific needs. I usually like tools that are as versatile as possible. I want a hand held device that I can take in the car, camping, biking, where ever. My priorities are information first, communication second.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.