Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#19150 - 09/15/03 11:26 PM House prep for hurricane strike
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
While watching the tracking reports for Isabel, I've ben planning on possibly boarding up the windows on a house I have on the New Jersey, but I realized that there are no convenient attachment points for plywood storm shutters. The house has vinyl siding (in that gloriously ugly modern style), and any place where I might think to attach shutters (which would have to be into the framing, according to everything I've read) would put lots of difficult-to-repair holes in the siding. What can I do about this?

Not only that, but I've got to think about prepping my 100-yr old primary residence as well. Looks like it's going to be a fun week...

#19151 - 09/16/03 12:26 AM Re: House prep for hurricane strike
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think i'm going to board up the windows and I live on an Island off the NJ coast. But I am going to remove everything on the deck, first everything that could turn into a projectial. But I don't think an evacuation will happen.

#19152 - 09/16/03 02:10 AM Re: House prep for hurricane strike
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Amper, this is not a exact answer to your question but this is how noaa recommends you attach your plywood. http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/shutters/index2.html

You can install permanent brackets around your windows to attach your shutters to that way the holes around your window would be covered, good luck.

#19153 - 09/16/03 12:54 PM Re: House prep for hurricane strike
Anonymous
Unregistered

A couple of things:
1) Even though all of your windows may look the same, unless your house is brand new, they’re not – each plywood sheet will have to be custom fit to each window to get a good fit. Many people number their storm shutters clockwise around the house or some similar system to be able to put them up quickly.
2) As far as attaching points, yes, get the bolts or lag screws into the studs! Otherwise it’s a waste of time. Most people who board up leave the attaching points marked in some way, usually with a wooden plug or something similar that can be attached with silicone glue and quickly pried out when the time comes.
3) However you board up, it’s best to keep the boards flush with the windows or the siding, because otherwise the wind can get underneath your storm shutters and pop them off in the wink of an eye.

#19154 - 09/16/03 07:38 PM Re: House prep for hurricane strike
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

You can also install 1/2 inch clear Lexan panels in front of the existing windows. A costly project, but the Lexan panels could theoretically stay in place year-round in heavy storm-prone areas.

#19155 - 09/17/03 04:05 PM Re: House prep for hurricane strike
qrtermoon Offline

Loc: South Central PA
Amper,
I worked in the construction field for a good many years and have some knowledge of vinyl siding. Around your windows there is a product known as "J" channel. This butts up against your window and provides you siding a place to go into. This way you do not see the cut ends. Cut your plywood pieces to overlap this area and then run screws in between you window and your "J" channel. You are guaranteed to hit a stud and it won't put holes in your siding. Hope this helps. Good Luck

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 433 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.