Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#191301 - 12/19/09 07:31 AM Passengers stranded in Chunnel
LED Offline
Veteran

Good reminder to be prepared, even if its only a short commute. Sure, everyone's warm and safe, but being stuck for hours in a confined space isn't fun. A good example of how the usual EDC items like snacks, water, and wet wipes can make a really uncomfortable situation tolerable.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/12/19/channel.tunnel/index.html

#191312 - 12/19/09 02:46 PM Re: Passengers stranded in Chunnel [Re: LED]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Stuff always happens when you least expect it.
Considering the weather it seems odd that they did not expect this.
I am still not quite clear on why the trains failed. Were they having trouble with the tracks icing?

#191328 - 12/19/09 08:59 PM Re: Passengers stranded in Chunnel [Re: scafool]
LED Offline
Veteran

Its not really clear in the news reposts. They say its because of the temperature difference inside and outside the tunnel.

#191332 - 12/19/09 10:31 PM Re: Passengers stranded in Chunnel [Re: LED]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Consider is including ear plugs, aspirin, menthol cough drops, and something that will work as a sleep mask. There are situations where your going to be stuck in close proximity to other people.

Small in-ear plugs still allow you to hear conversations and warnings because they only dull the noise.

Menthol cough drops mask the inevitable smells associated with numbers of people tightly confined and help slake thirst, and cure an itchy throat. They may also help smokers who are confined where they can't smoke and help calm cranky children.

Aspirin are good for tension headaches and might save a life if someone has a heart attack.

Pop in the ear plugs, add a cough drop, and put on your sleep mask and you can go into your own little world while still maintaining enough awareness to be safe. If the situation is very much under control you might catch a nap.

This should also emphasize that it is best to travel in clothing that is comfortable, durable, and protective. Sturdy shoes, I prefer boots, that you can hike in and leather gloves are helpful.

#191350 - 12/20/09 02:49 AM Re: Passengers stranded in Chunnel [Re: scafool]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I am still not quite clear on why the trains failed. Were they having trouble with the tracks icing?"

It sounds like condensation on the electrical equipment shorted them out. They're electric trains, not diesel.

Sue

#191361 - 12/20/09 07:52 AM Re: Passengers stranded in Chunnel [Re: Susan]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Four of the trains failed *in the tunnel* where it was "warm", not outside where it was cold.

The likely cause is a mechanical design flaw resulting in uneven thermal expansion of parts in the engines made of different materials.

There's not enough information to tell but I bet when they entered the "warm" tunnel part A expanded quickly and part B more slowly, and they got out of alignment...

Whoever designed those engines is not going to have a Merry Christmas. I predict long hours starting tomorrow morning to determine how to operate the existing trains safely as well as come up with a fix that be retrofitted quickly. We're early enough in the winter season that these weather conditions could repeat in just a few weeks.

PS. Susan's explanation is more likely. The air in the "warm" tunnel will carry a lot of moisture. It's still going to be a busy week for someone to get it fixed...

Edited by James_Van_Artsdalen (12/20/09 09:34 AM)
Edit Reason: Just read Susan's post

#191362 - 12/20/09 08:59 AM Re: Passengers stranded in Chunnel [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
On the same subject, kind of. I read in the news that railway tracks broke near my hometown because of cold. It was about -20 celsius at the time. I think itīs first time I hear that cold can cause such a problem.

They had laid new tracks there this summer to allow trains to go faster.

#191368 - 12/20/09 02:38 PM Re: Passengers stranded in Chunnel [Re: Herman30]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

The news here made it seem like a lot of whinny people, the interview of the people were crying about very insignificant issues and it gave the impression that they were helpless to do anything when if you look at there situation, they were in very good shape with no impairent danger. It amazes me how people are getting so scared and lazy for not so difficult situations, you wonder how people survive day to day. This is like this in many countries, sometimes I think people should live in a true 3rd world country extreme living for a few years and they would appreciate whats around them.

#191383 - 12/20/09 07:37 PM Re: Passengers stranded in Chunnel [Re: falcon5000]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Apparently even one of the Frenchy train drivers was found greeting, whilst locked in his drivers compartment.

Rule to Self. Never get on train which is staffed by the French whilst having to make a long tunnel trip.

This has been added to the - Never get on a Cruise liner with a Greek Crew, which may possibly catch fire.

#191386 - 12/20/09 08:23 PM Re: Passengers stranded in Chunnel [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
The real fun is it won't be running for at least a week - lot of stuck passengers
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.