Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#191317 - 12/19/09 04:46 PM Re: Took a pic of my PSK - Love my folding glasses [Re: Art_in_FL]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Glasses are vital if you need them and carrying a spare set, or two if space and finances allow, is wise.

There are several on-line sites where you can get basic glasses for $30-50. Well worth it for a spare pair.

#191327 - 12/19/09 08:58 PM Re: Took a pic of my PSK - Love my folding glasses [Re: TeacherRO]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
That is a BCB Mini Mess kit. Nice box, but a bit big.

#191357 - 12/20/09 06:50 AM Re: Took a pic of my PSK - Love my folding glasses [Re: roberttheiii]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Great kit, and great idea about the glasses. Thanks for sharing that. Looking at the link, you could also get sunglasses.

On a personal note, my vision used to be worse than 20/300 w/o glasses. Had laser surgery a few years ago, and the new freedom is great. I'm no longer dependent on glasses to function.

#191372 - 12/20/09 03:35 PM Re: Took a pic of my PSK - Love my folding glasses [Re: UpstateTom]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I may go laser, I have to have my prescription stabilize first. I have the clip on sunglasses in the kit, as you can see. Better than nothing.

#191467 - 12/21/09 05:35 PM Re: Took a pic of my PSK - Love my folding glasses [Re: roberttheiii]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Robert, I see you and I have similar problems:

1) Virtually blind without our glasses, and
2) Getting a usable kit down to a size that is EDC

I have tried to make a usable kit about the size of an altoids tin. Here is a list of the contents so far:

1 ALTOIDS TIN
2 RUBBER BANDS AND A STRETCHY PIECE OF CORD (HOLDING TIN SECURELY CLOSED)
1 FLAT WHISTLE ATTACHED TO OUTSIDE (STRAPPED DOWN UNDER RUBBER BANDS AND STRETCHY CORD)
INSIDE THE TIN THERE IS:
1 FRESNEL LENS
1 THIN PIECE OF CARDBOARD
10 STRIKE ANYWHERE MATCHES
1 MINI-BIC
1 BOBBIN OF 30LB TEST FISHING LINE – NOT SURE HOW MUCH BUT GUESSING ABOUT 20 TO 30 FEET (spiderwire – the good stuff)
6 FISH HOOKS
8 SAFETY PINS
2 BIRTHDAY CANDLES
1 MINI SWISS ARMY TYPE KNIFE
1 PENCIL
1 TWIST TIE
4 TINDER TABS
2 ALCOHOL PREP PAD
1 SPLIT RING
1 SEWING NEEDLE
1 WIRE (ABOUT 12 FEET WRAPPED AROUND CARDBOARD HOLDER)

It still needs some work. Here are some changes I am considering:

- REPLACE WOOD PENCIL WITH VICTORINOX PENCIL OR MINI PEN REFILL (WILL SAVE LOTS OF SPACE)
- ADD NAIL FILE TO STRIKE MATCHES ON (TAPE SMALL PIECE OF ONE TO INSIDE OF LID)
- ADD SWIVEL AND SPLIT SHOT
- ADD SOME SHEETS OF PAPER (FOR NOTE TAKING OR TINDER)
- ADD SMALL SURVIVAL GUIDE
- ADD WATER PURIFICATION TABS
- ADD ZIPLOC BAG OR BAKING BAG
- ADD SEWING THREAD
- ADD ALUMINUM FOIL
- ADD CASH (20 OR 50 DOLLAR BILL)
- ADD TWO ADVIL AND TWO IMMODIUM (OR PEPTO FOR ME AS HEARTBURN IS AN ISSUE AND PEPTO TREATS BOTH HEARTBURN AND DIARRHEA)
- ADD BAND-AIDS
- ADD BANDANA
- ADD GARBAGE BAG (FOLD SMALL AND FLAT, WRAP WITH BANDANNA AND USE PARACORD TO SECURE IT TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE TIN – THE BANDANA WILL PROVIDE THE GARBAGE BAG SOME PROTECTION FROM THE CORDAGE AND I WILL GET THE EXTRA CORDAGE TO BOOT)
- REDUCE TO 1 CANDLE
- REDUCE TO 2 TINDER TABS
- REDUCE NUMBER OF HOOKS AND SAFETY PINS
- ELIMINATE CARDBOARD FROM WIRE (I.E. MAKE IT INTO A LOOP OF WIRE WITHOUT THE CARDBOARD LIKE IN THE PSP, OR WRAP IT AROUND SOMETHING ALREADY IN THE KIT LIKE PENCIL OR TINDER TAB)
- REPLACE SWISS ARMY KNIFE WITH SCALPEL FOR EMERGENCY BACKUP AS I WILL LIKELY BE CARRYING A BETTER KNIFE ON MY BELT OR IN MY POCKET
- MAKE FISH HOOKS PACK FLAT BY PLACING BETWEEN TWO STRIPS OF SCOTCH TAPE OR TAPE TO LID

Just some thoughts, I am still working on it (suggestions welcome). In the meantime, or perhaps from-now-on-time, my EDC is a PSP, small FAK, LED lights and heatsheets or garbage bags. Covers the basic needs: medical, shelter, fire/warmth, water (with bag and water purification tabs added), signaling, and food. I am considering just moving a few items from the altoids tin to the PSP bag and leave it at that. But the altoids tins are so much fun to work with ... smile Of course the ultimate source and contents list for a small kit like this may be Ritters own mini-survival kit as documented elsewhere on ETS.
There's not really enough room for spare glasses in a small kit like this. Maybe save those for a larger kit/BOB?
EDIT: OOps, my mistake, I wear glasses, you wear contacts with glasses in kit as backup, conceptually the same though wink

Edited by Mark_Frantom (12/21/09 05:44 PM)

#192337 - 01/01/10 01:39 PM Re: Took a pic of my PSK - Love my folding glasses [Re: randyo]
Matthew_L Offline

Loc: Rabat, Morocco
I lost a very expensive pair of sunglasses (I am very nearsighted so lenses alone are a shocker) in the surf at the beach while wearing a strong rubber headband to hold them on. Playing with my kids, caught a wave in face, splash and they were gone. Yours sound great but a word to the wise--have an extra pair anyway.

Originally Posted By: randyo
I'm also hopelessly nearsighted but I went a different route. I bought PSK glasses with polycarb lenses and the strong rubber strap band instead of earpieces. That way you get a good seal on a gas mask or any other type of face mask - not that I'm worried about that. The biggest plus is you can swim with them and not worry about them coming off.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.