Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#191334 - 12/19/09 10:39 PM Re: East Coast storm!!! (ya'll prepared?) [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Russ
Wow, even better pics. Your pup looks like he's having a great time. smile

I can hardly get her to come back inside. She wants to spend the entire day out there. But she's asleep now.

There may be one more romp in the snow this evening with her buddies.

#191336 - 12/19/09 11:15 PM Re: East Coast storm!!! (ya'll prepared?) [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Definitely take her out again, it's only fair. She may not get to play like this again for a long time. smile

Storm slams East Coast, causes 4,000 traffic accidents in Virginia shocked Wow -- good time to avoid driving (like we didn't see this coming, but 4000???).

#191338 - 12/19/09 11:38 PM Re: East Coast storm!!! (ya'll prepared?) [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Yeah, the roads were not the place to be today. My vehicle is very snow capable and I have tire chains and great tires, but decided not to contribute to impeding snow plows.

I-81 through Virginia is frightfully Darwinian on a good day, can't imagine driving it through this storm. God bless those who did. And locally, while surely many who did venture out didn't need to, there are still people who have to work in the worst weather. Some of them probably spent half the day in the car.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/19/AR2009121900741.html

Interstate 81 near Lexington was closed after a tractor-trailer accident Friday night, leaving thousands of motorists stranded in their cars for 12 hours or more, said Jeff Caldwell, a spokesman for the Virginia Department of Transportation. West Virginia authorities closed Interstate 77 at the Virginia border, and though it was reopened late Saturday morning, the road remained clogged by abandoned cars and trailers that could not make it up the hills, Caldwell said.

"I don't care if you're from Minnesota or from Maine, you shouldn't be driving out there," said Joan Morris, a VDOT spokeswoman.

#191341 - 12/19/09 11:47 PM Re: East Coast storm!!! (ya'll prepared?) [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

I was rather shocked to see my postman today.

Merry Christmas and God bless to everyone who worked in this.

:-)

#191344 - 12/20/09 12:19 AM Re: East Coast storm!!! (ya'll prepared?) [Re: Dagny]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The post office will still deliver through any kind of weather, even if they still can never get mail in the right mailbox.

#191345 - 12/20/09 12:31 AM Re: East Coast storm!!! (ya'll prepared?) [Re: Eugene]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Just came back in from shovelling the front walkway and driveway. Heavy snow right now. Found this message from the NWS:

INTENSE LOW PRESSURE TRACKING SE OF LONG ISLAND TONIGHT
WILL RESULT IN A PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOW & HIGH WINDS ACROSS LONG ISLAND. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 12 TO 18 INCHES.WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS AS HIGH AS 24 INCHES.ARE EXPECTED. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 4 INCHES PER HOUR.ACCOMPANIED BY THUNDER AND LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM FROM LATE
THIS EVENING INTO THE OVERNIGHT. WIND GUSTS OF UP TO 50 MPH ARE
ALSO EXPECTED.

No joke, by the time I'd finished shovelling, there was 1/2 inch of snow on the ground where I'd started. The salt I'd put down on the driveway before the storm had no noticeable effect.

I don't have a dog like Dagny's, but I'll bet my three year old will enjoy the snow in the morning!

#191347 - 12/20/09 02:04 AM Re: East Coast storm!!! (ya'll prepared?) [Re: Jesselp]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Your dog is beautiful!!! I have two Dobes but they have to wear coats in the snow. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Stay safe and have fun.

#191348 - 12/20/09 02:30 AM Re: East Coast storm!!! (ya'll prepared?) [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Dagny, your smiling dog looks almost GRIM when you make her stop to take a photo! I'm glad she got some rest, to build up her strength. Does she want to sleep in the snow? My friend's Siberian Husky flat out refused to come in, and would curl up in the snow to sleep... with one eye open to see if Rita was coming out to drag her into the house, then she would jump up and use her E&E tactics.

That last photo is referred to as a 'chowderbutt shot' in some circles.

Have a good time!

Sue

#191351 - 12/20/09 02:55 AM Re: East Coast storm!!! (ya'll prepared?) [Re: Dagny]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Dagny, those are awesome pictures, I had just got back today crossing Sams Gap up in NC and there were at least a 100+ cars all over the place coming down the mountain. I was in 4X4 High all the way from Tenn through NC (I wish I had got better pictures before the snow plows went through). We took a good snow storm up in Tenn while I was up there.You guys up in DC had a tremendous amount of snow compared to what we got. It only dropped down to 15 degrees 2 nights while I was up there but I was like a kid in the candy store. I love snow and living in Fla is a drag when you have no true seasons. Any way here are some brief lame pics of my trip (a few pics are from the old Civil War Park).

#191352 - 12/20/09 04:02 AM Re: East Coast storm!!! (ya'll prepared?) [Re: Jesselp]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Jesselp

I don't have a dog like Dagny's, but I'll bet my three year old will enjoy the snow in the morning!

That's a great idea. It's going to take a few more three year olds than huskies to pull a sled. But we could call it day care and people would pay you to take their kids for the day. You could make even more money running your team of kids down the interstate and use them to pull stuck cars out of the ditch. The kids get all that fresh air and exercise. It's a win-win situation.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.