Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#190662 - 12/12/09 08:06 PM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Doug, how do you like the Cold Steel SF Shovel for year-round use (e.g. camping/ATVing)? I have been thinking about buying myself one for Christmas, but would have to order it unseen from a catalog store.

Mike

For laughs, I just used one to clear a path to my outhouse. Rather urgently, since DW has some friends over and I didn't want to, uh, stifle the conversation. Had to sweep through a couple of knee-high drifts and chop through a brush pile to open the path. Not fast, and took a fair bit of bending, but it got the job done.

I quite enjoy mine (I have three). They are very sturdy, and have held up well to moderate use/abuse over the last two years. They take an edge easily and hold it well enough for the spruce/poplar/willow we have here, and don't seem to chip when abused. The price we pay for them up here is outrageous, though, so they are definitely an indulgence. But I find them lots of fun to muck around with, and I would be very happy to have one if I was stranded in the bush.

Truthfully, though, it's a "fill in the gap" tool. It will do a lot of things in a pinch, and it's compact enough that you won't leave it back in camp. But if you have a lot of cutting to do, you'll start wishing for a real axe. And if you have a lot of digging to do, or snow to move, you'll wish for a long handle and bigger surface area.

Caveats aside, if you have a niche for this type of tool, I think you'd enjoy it.

#190676 - 12/12/09 11:52 PM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: dougwalkabout]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the report Doug, I am going to buy a CS Shovel from somewhere, Christmas present to myself I think.

Mike

#190734 - 12/13/09 05:09 PM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: SwampDonkey]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Thanks Doug! That is great news. Obviously any small multipurpose tool like this is a huge compromise. If I expect a better than normal chance of getting stuck someplace, I'm going to bring a heck a lot more then even just a real shovel. How about a high lift jack for starters! Anyways, sounds like this will be the perfect "just in case" device, and can be supplemented for longer trips or rougher circumstances.

Frankly, if we're doing any long wintery trips I'd rather not take my girlfriends car anyways.

#190737 - 12/13/09 05:44 PM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: roberttheiii]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

We got some snow a few days ago. Decided to hack away at some of the harder stuff at the edge of the road with the cheap no name e-tool I've carried for years and never needed.

The results weren't so good.

I may be buying another cold steel, unless I can find something of equal size and quality at home depot, etc. Whatever I get, it has to fit in the storage area under the floor in the back of my wagon.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qD7...feat=directlink

Edited by roberttheiii (12/13/09 05:45 PM)

#190745 - 12/13/09 08:07 PM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: roberttheiii]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

If digging is the main task (as opposed to cutting tasks) a basic square-tipped garden spade is an economical alternative. Probably set you back $10 from a big box store. Cut down the handle to fit your space. You can do a surprising amount with these. Put a 45 degree bevel on the business end -- it helps a lot with digging, whether in soil or compacted snow. I used one for some basement demolition last year; with a crudely sharpened bevel, it cuts drywall like butter. Not the first choice for powdery snow, though.

Edited by dougwalkabout (12/13/09 08:12 PM)

#191013 - 12/16/09 03:05 PM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: dougwalkabout]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Got 'em, like 'em. (Edit:"'em" are the Cold Steal Shovels I ordered shortly before starting the thread!) They're sturdier than the e-tool I posted a photo of above. Very small. They come with an edge that'd work in a pinch. I didn't order sheaths for them, a mistake in hind site, but for now it has a cardboard sheath and is stored with my girlfriends spare tire and jumper cables. With any luck the next time it'll come out is when she sells the car!

I'll give my brother his (and then mount it for him in his Suburban) on Christmas. I think it might actually get used there.

Back to handles, I agree fiberglass is superior, that said, I see why this has such a simple handle. If you break it in the field you could use the head of the shovel to improvise a replacement! All you'd need is a screwdriver, which I'd have on my leatherman should the need ever arise. Actually, my girlfriend will have a screwdriver on her Leatherman Flair after Xmas day! Shh, don't tell her!

Edited by roberttheiii (12/16/09 03:39 PM)

#191065 - 12/16/09 10:13 PM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: roberttheiii]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
After reading the good reports in this thread about the Cold Steel SF Shovel, I ordered one today. Looking forward to trying it out.

Mike

#191085 - 12/16/09 11:55 PM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: SwampDonkey]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Just found this photo of what I guess is a genuine Russian etool: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MPL-50.jpg

Couple comments, I like the flat screw heads. If you have to make a new handle it'd be easier to improvise a flat head than a philips. Perhaps I'll replace my screws. I also like that they're on top. This girls some orientation. I suppose I could memorize which side of the shovel my screws are on relative to the top but that's harder to remember than "screw on top" or "screws on bottom"

This is relevant for use in the dark. Why would I use my shovel in the dark? Great question. No idea, but it seems like a decent feature to have.

Also found this from the wiki: http://militera.lib.ru/research/suvorov6/01.html

Pretty...interesting?

#191095 - 12/17/09 02:10 AM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: roberttheiii]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I use the following shovel for my winter bushcraft excursions, or in the trunk of the car during the winter. It's made by a canadian company called Garant and is simply called "Telescopic Winter Shovel". Available at Canadian Tire stores (canadian retail store chain).

It weighs 537 grams (19 oz). Polycarbonate blade and telescopic aluminium handle. It sells for 15 $ CAD, I have no idea why someone would want to buy expensive mountaineering shovels such as the Voile models that sell for 50+ $...

#191107 - 12/17/09 06:50 AM Re: Car Shovel Choice [Re: SARbound]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I have quite a number of Garant products. Not a dud in the lot.

How does this shovel stand up to avalanche-churned snow? I'm thinking that's the worst case for mountaineers (or snowmobilers). Is it stiff enough to cut into that nasty near-concrete stuff?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.